Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.1.4] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Sorry, English is not my main language, so I can only translate it through Google!

Take SlutCraft-0-38-pc as an example:

In 1.115_2x52_URM, you can use "change font" DejaVuSans.ttf to display text content in other languages...

But since 2.01_0x52_URM, this method can no longer be used to display text content in other languages...

How can I complete this requirement in version 2.01 or above?

View attachment 3317913

View attachment 3317920

View attachment 3317927
I will add the option to change the font in a future release ;)
I have a maybe bug report, it seems that the mod does not manage to recognise windows touch devices, at least it doesn't work with my Thinkpad x12. But that could also be because it's not a pur touch device, so I had to add the touch button by hand.
Yeah. I think Windows never really identifies as a real touch device.
I'd like to have an option to only make the textbox transparent without touching the rest and/or to option to add a touch button similar to the one for the mod.
Yeah mean hiding the textbox/dialogue?
On the roadmap is a feature for adding your own custom quick menu to any game. I could make it possible to add a "hide" button using that method.

Reactions: Feyd and cpt-jack

Cyrix72

Oct 31, 2021
I actually love your mod and I am using it with almost each game I am playing, even if only to check what result a certain decision might trigger.
It is also a great fix for games the developers have not put much effort into the text box. There's however one feature I am currently missing and it is about indenting both text box and name box. It would be great to be able to move both a bit more to the right of screen, while text content remains being left-aligned.

soadeths

Dec 4, 2021
You'll need to provide more information then, because it's working without any issues for me as well: I can search (and change) stuff, I can add a custom textbox and replacing names also works without any issues:

View attachment 3321400 View attachment 3321401

Please fill out the following:
Are you on the latest version of URM? It works fine over here:
View attachment 3317054

I found out why you didn't have the bug, you have to advance a little in the tutorial, kill the first enemies for example

hsehsing

Jul 11, 2017
As does version 2.0.3 for me: I not getting any errors, and I can search and change variables, add textboxes, rename characters and all that fancy stuff. (I've tested both the "normal" version of the game as well as the "Halloween LiA".)

To be fair though, I got a few of errors, but those are not URM related, those where just bugs in the game itself (or it was because I changed some variables I shouldn't have touched ;)). Anyways, this game works perfectly fine with the latest version of URM, and if it doesn't for you, please fill out a proper bug report:
  • The issue occurred with the latest version. I tried an older version and it worked fine
  • Life in Alphaville
  • Attached the logs here. In the logs i shared contain lines starting with 0x52
  • Starting a new game or loading a save causes the issue
  • I am on windows 11 latest stable version
  • No other mods installed

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
There's however one feature I am currently missing and it is about indenting both text box and name box. It would be great to be able to move both a bit more to the right of screen, while text content remains being left-aligned.
This has been requested a couple of times already. And will be improved in the future.

I found out why you didn't have the bug, you have to advance a little in the tutorial, kill the first enemies for example
Could you share a save where the issue occurs for you?

• The issue occurred with the latest version. I tried an older version and it worked fine
  • Life in Alphaville
  • Attached the logs here. In the logs i shared contain lines starting with 0x52
  • Starting a new game or loading a save causes the issue
  • I am on windows 11 latest stable version
  • No other mods installed
I did some digging and the problem is that they broke their own game. At the start you can choose a play mode. They save this mode in a variable named "Play", which is a that should not be used. URM just exposes their mistake.

There seems to be a way around it, because URM's theming engine exposes the issue. It looks like you have globally set a (non default) theme for URM. So if you clear the theme you've set from withing another game, Life in Alphaville should start fine.
But... this will not guarantee it won't still crash at some point. They still broke Ren'Py itself.

Reactions: Feyd and Cyrix72

soadeths

Dec 4, 2021
Cela a déjà été demandé à plusieurs reprises. Et sera amélioré à l’avenir.

Pourriez-vous partager une sauvegarde où le problème se produit pour vous ?

J'ai creusé un peu et le problème est qu'ils ont cassé leur propre jeu. Au début, vous pouvez choisir un mode de jeu. Ils sauvegardent ce mode dans une variable nommée "Play", qui est une qui ne doit pas être utilisée. URM expose simplement son erreur.

Il semble y avoir un moyen de contourner ce problème, car le moteur de thème d'URM expose le problème. Il semble que vous ayez défini globalement un thème (non par défaut) pour URM. Donc, si vous supprimez le thème que vous avez défini dans un autre jeu, Life in Alphaville devrait bien démarrer.
Mais... cela ne garantira pas qu'il ne plantera pas à un moment donné. Ils ont quand même brisé Ren'Py lui-même.
[/CITATION]
sorry I should have thought of it, the tutorial takes a bit of time.
Here's one of my savegames.

cpt-jack

Jul 14, 2023
I will add the option to change the font in a future release ;)

Yeah. I think Windows never really identifies as a real touch device.

Yeah mean hiding the textbox/dialogue?
On the roadmap is a feature for adding your own custom quick menu to any game. I could make it possible to add a "hide" button using that method.
Yes I meant a "hide" button, seems like I missed half of the intended sentence there. Thanks a lot that would be an awesome feature since hiding the textbox on a touch device is a pain in the ass. After a bit of looking and trying I think it could be a good feature to make all the textbox options optional (like changing the font or the placement)

And thanks again for your awesome work and willingness to endure and answer all the endless questions

Reactions: 0x52

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Respected User
Donor
Aug 8, 2017
Can we activate the dev console command with this mod?
Shift + d, we can the shift + o.

Option #3 with Unren.

hsehsing

Jul 11, 2017
This has been requested a couple of times already. And will be improved in the future.

Could you share a save where the issue occurs for you?

I did some digging and the problem is that they broke their own game. At the start you can choose a play mode. They save this mode in a variable named "Play", which is a that should not be used. URM just exposes their mistake.

There seems to be a way around it, because URM's theming engine exposes the issue. It looks like you have globally set a (non default) theme for URM. So if you clear the theme you've set from withing another game, Life in Alphaville should start fine.
But... this will not guarantee it won't still crash at some point. They still broke Ren'Py itself.
Thanks
That explains why the previous version without the theming support was working

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
sorry I should have thought of it, the tutorial takes a bit of time.
Here's one of my savegames.
I did some digging and it turns out the game breaks Python, that's why you're experiencing this issue.
They assigned something to the "type".

Can we activate the dev console command with this mod?
Shift + d, we can the shift + o.

Option #3 with Unren.
Yes it can active the console. It's in URM's settings.
1707071380674.png

Reactions: Feyd

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Respected User
Donor
Aug 8, 2017
0x52
That just opens the console and not the developers menu.
"Shift + o" = console.
"Shift + d" = developers menu, this is the one I would like to see.

Unren option 3 unlocks both.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
0x52
That just opens the console and not the developers menu.
"Shift + o" = console.
"Shift + d" = developers menu, this is the one I would like to see.

Unren option 3 unlocks both.
I don't think that's something I want to add. Some of those developer options can cause issues in production builds of game.
If needed I would rather mimic some of those features in URM itself.

Reactions: Feyd

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Respected User
Donor
Aug 8, 2017
I don't think that's something I want to add. Some of those developer options can cause issues in production builds of game.
If needed I would rather mimic some of those features in URM itself.
It lets me see what the variables are.
As it stands now I use unren to see the variables then use this mod to do minor changes.

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
Nope that does not show any of the ones that you see in unren. View attachment 3329769
Yes, it does. It's just ordered differently, and includes variables that won't show. That screenshot from theMickey_ only shows the top of the window, so it's only showing the first several variables of a MUCH larger list. You know it's a larger list because there are seven or more PAGES of variables that aren't shown in the screenshot but which URM found:
1707181116339.png

Like, seriously, you're literally asking for the MAIN feature of URM but more complicated and harder to use.

(Also, you're not seeing it in Unren, you just used Unren to enable the developer menu. Unren just unarchives and decompiles the files. URM usually works whether you've unrenned the game or not.)

Reactions: theMickey_

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Respected User
Donor
Aug 8, 2017
Yes, it does. It's just ordered differently, and includes variables that won't show. That screenshot from theMickey_ only shows the top of the window, so it's only showing the first several variables of a MUCH larger list. You know it's a larger list because there are seven or more PAGES of variables that aren't shown in the screenshot but which URM found:
View attachment 3329827

Like, seriously, you're literally asking for the MAIN feature of URM but more complicated and harder to use.

(Also, you're not seeing it in Unren, you just used Unren to enable the developer menu. Unren just unarchives and decompiles the files. URM usually works whether you've unrenned the game or not.)
I'm sorry it does not show what unren shows.
I looked at over 300 pages in the same game I had unren on that only had 2 pages of what I needed to put in the search for.
It did not show the "love" points that unren showed and so on.
Did not show how the money was listed only unren did.

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
I'm sorry it does not show what unren shows.
I looked at over 300 pages in the same game I had unren on that only had 2 pages of what I needed to put in the search for.
It did not show the "love" points that unren showed and so on.
Did not show how the money was listed only unren did.
Variables are variables. If the developer menu shows them, URM can show them. You may just not know how to do so. Give a specific game and variable example. For instance, from your screenshot, you were showing Highway to Hell and saying those variables aren't in URM. Here are the Highway to Hell love variables in URM:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
And for this game in particular, you can do the same for the event flags by searching "Flag". This is a primary function of URM.

The specifics of the type and name of variable are up to the developer of each individual game, and there are a large number of different ways people set up variables. But as far as I am aware, it is an inherent impossibilty for a game-specific variable to show up in the developer menu and not in URM.

Also, again, you're not showing things "unren" did. Unren did not do that. All unren did was enable the built-in Ren'Py developer menu (and optionally unarchive/decompile the script files).

Reactions: 0x52
5.00 star(s) 33 Votes