Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.1.4] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Respected User
Donor
Aug 8, 2017
Variables are variables. If the developer menu shows them, URM can show them. You may just not know how to do so. Give a specific game and variable example. For instance, from your screenshot, you were showing Highway to Hell and saying those variables aren't in URM. Here are the Highway to Hell love variables in URM:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
And for this game in particular, you can do the same for the event flags by searching "Flag". This is a primary function of URM.

The specifics of the type and name of variable are up to the developer of each individual game, and there are a large number of different ways people set up variables. But as far as I am aware, it is an inherent impossibilty for a game-specific variable to show up in the developer menu and not in URM.

Also, again, you're not showing things "unren" did. Unren did not do that. All unren did was enable the built-in Ren'Py developer menu (and optionally unarchive/decompile the script files).
Your not getting the point I was trying to make.
You must know some of the variable to search for it.
Unren show "love" as part of it but this mod dose not show it in the 175 pages I looked through.
Unren 2 pages, this mod more than 175 pages to go through and I still did not see "love".
This is just an example.

ADD: Finally found it on page 173 using this mod.
Unren I have less than 2 pages to look through and this mod there is 175 pages.
So for me its faster to add both unren and this mod then use unren to see what I need then use this mod to change it.

Oh well if its not going to be added then there is no more need to discuss it.
Thank you for your time.

Catherine♡

Mar 10, 2019
I'm playing Babysitters on my Android and the mod detects the choices correctly but i think it doesn't detect that I'm using a cell phone (I tried the mod on Joiplay and on the Android version of the game provided by the developer none works). The touchable that pop up as soon as i open the game doesn't show up and making an "U" on the screen doesn't work either, is there any other way for me to open the cheat/variables menu?

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Oh well if its not going to be added then there is no more need to discuss it.
Just my final two cents about this:
  • URM in fact shows all the variables that are in the game, while through the Developer Menu --> Show Variables you'll only see those defined by the developer. So I get why you like the developer menu more, because you have a shorter list of variables that might be important throughout the game without being spammed with tons of variables that aren't game related (but are still there). Let's make this a feature request then, shall we?
    • Hey 0x52, it would be great to filter search results so it only shows user/developer defined variables and hide all the "internal" (or whatever they're called) ones.
  • The developer menu displays a sorted list of variables, which IMHO is always nicer to scroll through. URM does not yet sort the results, but being able to sort variables has been requested before and IIRC it's on the roadmap
I think URM doesn't need a developer menu if the only thing you want to do is list all available variables, because URM already does that. But the wildcard search of URM could be improved by some kind of sorting/filtering the results.

Reactions: 0x52 and a1fox3

cpt-jack

Jul 14, 2023
Yeah. I think Windows never really identifies as a real touch device.
Short update from me. I just added the new URM to a new game and it recognised my touchscreen. Not sure why but I thought it could be helpful.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
URM does not yet sort the results, but being able to sort variables has been requested before and IIRC it's on the roadmap
LOL. Sorting search results was supposed to be added in URM v2. Because of you comment I realize I didn't add it :unsure:
(I did mark the task as completed though)

Short update from me. I just added the new URM to a new game and it recognised my touchscreen. Not sure why but I thought it could be helpful.
It's probably using a newer Ren'Py version with improved touchscreen detection. Good to know.

• Haha
Reactions: theMickey_

cpt-jack

Jul 14, 2023
It's probably using a newer Ren'Py version with improved touchscreen detection. Good to know.
Sorry that was wrong information I forgot I activated the touch button globaly, I just tested it with a new install of the same game and globaly deactivated touchbutton and there is no reaction. So it seems like you were right before and windows doesn't identify touchscreens properly.

Apr 1, 2018
TLDR: I'm suggesting a for 5th search type that's a combo between the 2nd and 3rd search types in wildcard. A combo between 2,3,4 would be wildly useful too. (no pun intended)

Hello again! back with another very specific feature suggestion (as usual :cautious:) never gets old :). But hear me out I have a new suggestion for a feature to add onto the existing wildcard search. If possible, currently..
1707339409577.png

1.we have one to search exact matches,
2. one for searching if your word falls in between others (doesn't work with multiple parameters if I'm not wrong),
3. one that allows to search if your words encompasses others , and
4. one for prespecified number of unknowns.

but how about one that's insensitive to order? for example if we were trying to find a match that has the words "0x52" "was" "here" but didn't know which order they lined up. "0x52 was here"? "here was 0x52" "0x52 here was" "here 0x52 was"... etc? (ik its a dumb example) but bear with me, see how I was able to generate 4 random orders with just 3 words alone. It would be interesting for one to be able to (idk use some symbol) and search words that can fall in any order but as long as the word(s) are in the text it would pick it off. Here are some of my search type suggestions "0x52,was,here" (commas would search in any order) or keeping with the established * symbol "*0x52*was*here*". Idk what do yall think of this? is this dumb?

Self Criticism: one thing I would say is that not many variables let alone label/scenes in game use more than 2 words in their names so there couldn't be that many combos to try, perhaps for now we can put a pin on this for a later update ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ if we ever have one to search stuff in character dialogues?

Last edited:

soadeths

Dec 4, 2021
Hello everyone... I'm having problems using "URM v2.0.3" in the game, twisted-world, the mod isn't letting me load my new save, can any light help me?
ive also been having this problem, game crashes as soon as you click "new game" with urm. cant add it in after making the save either because the game will just crash again. modifying anything in the save file with an editor will just make the game blackscreen when loading the save
I cannot reproduce this issue, could you maybe share your affected save?

Hello,
I had exactly the same problem with the game (Twisted World [v0.1.1 Remake]) which crashes with the latest URM version (2.0.3) when new game or loading a game.

However, out of curiosity, I tried it with version 1.5.2, and all works fine.

Here's my error report

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Doom Marine

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
TLDR: I'm suggesting a for 5th search type that's a combo between the 2nd and 3rd search types in wildcard. A combo between 2,3,4 would be wildly useful too. (no pun intended)

Hello again! back with another very specific feature suggestion (as usual :cautious:) never gets old :). But hear me out I have a new suggestion for a feature to add onto the existing wildcard search. If possible, currently..
View attachment 3335233

1.we have one to search exact matches,
2. one for searching if your word falls in between others (doesn't work with multiple parameters if I'm not wrong),
3. one that allows to search if your words encompasses others , and
4. one for prespecified number of unknowns.

but how about one that's insensitive to order? for example if we were trying to find a match that has the words "0x52" "was" "here" but didn't know which order they lined up. "0x52 was here"? "here was 0x52" "0x52 here was" "here 0x52 was"... etc? (ik its a dumb example) but bear with me, see how I was able to generate 4 random orders with just 3 words alone. It would be interesting for one to be able to (idk use some symbol) and search words that can fall in any order but as long as the word(s) are in the text it would pick it off. Here are some of my search type suggestions "0x52,was,here" (commas would search in any order) or keeping with the established * symbol "*0x52*was*here*". Idk what do yall think of this? is this dumb?

Self Criticism: one thing I would say is that not many variables let alone label/scenes in game use more than 2 words in their names so there couldn't be that many combos to try, perhaps for now we can put a pin on this for a later update ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ if we ever have one to search stuff in character dialogues?
You can achieve the same result using "recursive search". After enabling it you first search for "0x52", then for "was" and then "here". You will have found all variables that contain those three words in any order.
I will think about implementing something for searching words out of order.

Hello,
I had exactly the same problem with the game (Twisted World [v0.1.1 Remake]) which crashes with the latest URM version (2.0.3) when new game or loading a game.

However, out of curiosity, I tried it with version 1.5.2, and all works fine.

Here's my error report

Thanks in advance
Seems related to this other issue, try switching to the default theme:
I did some digging and the problem is that they broke their own game. At the start you can choose a play mode. They save this mode in a variable named "Play", which is a that should not be used. URM just exposes their mistake.

There seems to be a way around it, because URM's theming engine exposes the issue. It looks like you have globally set a (non default) theme for URM. So if you clear the theme you've set from withing another game, Life in Alphaville should start fine.
But... this will not guarantee it won't still crash at some point. They still broke Ren'Py itself.

• Red Heart
Reactions: MyGirlsNowYoink

Laitiri

Jul 29, 2020
I want to give you an idea, maybe if you like it enough you might do it.
I was thinking URM could have a playlist mode of the labels.
So if we search with * to list all labels and start one of them we could play the next directly with a "]" key or the previous one on the list with "[" instead of ending manually and looking for through the list before hitting play again...

bip77

Apr 21, 2020
If you switch to another font ([shift]-[a], because the game developer decided to use some hard to read script font or something like that), then the URM icons are broken.

Screenshot_20240212_003843.png

Reactions: FaceCrap

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
I want to give you an idea, maybe if you like it enough you might do it.
I was thinking URM could have a playlist mode of the labels.
So if we search with * to list all labels and start one of them we could play the next directly with a "]" key or the previous one on the list with "[" instead of ending manually and looking for through the list before hitting play again...
I will consider this if there are more people who think this might be usefull.

If you switch to another font ([shift]-[a], because the game developer decided to use some hard to read script font or something like that), then the URM icons are broken.

View attachment 3347258
Whoops... URM used to prevent this, but I had to change that piece of code because of changes in URM v2, but forgot to do it.
Will be fixed in the next update ;)

Reactions: FaceCrap

Kingman92

Jul 3, 2021
University of Problems game does not support

Tue Feb 13 14:33:08 2024
Unknown platform.
Ren'Py 7.4.10.2178

Bootstrap to the start of init.init took 0.00s
Bootstrap to the start of init.init took 0.00s
Manufacturer HUAWEI model STK-L21
Screen diagonal is 5.36918289873 inches.
Early init took 0.15s
Early init took 0.15s
Android search paths: /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.universityofproblems.rwazone/files/game /data/data/com.universityofproblems.rwazone/files/game
Loader init took 0.38s
Loader init took 0.38s
Loading error handling took 0.85s
Loading error handling took 0.85s

Full traceback:
File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 331, in bootstrap
File "renpy/main.py", line 482, in main
File "renpy/script.py", line 283, in load_script
File "renpy/script.py", line 706, in load_appropriate_file
Exception: Could not load from archive 0x52-URM/classes/API.rpyc.

While running game code:
Exception: Could not load from archive 0x52-URM/classes/API.rpyc.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
I'm trying to trigger and event but it crashes the game. It has to do with caps? Like lvl or passed days?
What are you trying to do?
What game are you talking about?
What error do you get?

We can't read your mind or see your screen, so please fill out a proper Bug report if you think it's URM related:
Reporting an issue
When reporting an issue with URM, please include the information below:
  • Are you using the latest version of URM?
  • Which game has the issue (preferable a link to the game's thread)
  • If it's a crash (grey screen) attach the "traceback.txt" file
  • What did you do that caused the issue?
  • Attach a screenshot of the issue (if possible)
  • When URM gave an error (not a grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
  • What OS are you on?
  • Do you have any other mods installed? Does the issue still exist without the other mod(s)?
Thanks!

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Whoops... URM used to prevent this, but I had to change that piece of code because of changes in URM v2, but forgot to do it.
Will be fixed in the next update ;)
Came here to report the same, and found the workaround and fix announcement at the same time, thanks to both. :LOL:

Reactions: bip77 and 0x52

Remarius

Mar 30, 2022
One of the default fonts that come with Ren'Py is "DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf" -- but some knobhead thought it might be a smart idea to rename it to "DejaVuSansBold.ttf" (without the "-") for this game. Well, turns out, it's not.

Check the "renpy\common" subfolder of the game, make a copy of "DejaVuSansBold.ttf" and name it "DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf".
Brilliant thanks... that was frustrating!

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Yo,
I've started using URM recently and was wondering how to change the "Global" options in the settings like opacity and theme, so that I wouldn't have to change it for every game I use it on, can you help me with it?
Uhm... you are looking for this?
1708176781104.png
Local = current game
Global = Every game

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes