Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.2.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

loqex

Aug 5, 2016
Feature request if feasible:

Add a +10 and -10 buttons to int variables or perhaps I missed something obvious?

Reactions: Belzeebub$

Marian Sijanin

Nov 5, 2017
Hello, 0x52! In the "Choice code" window you can see that looks like a calling some standard RenPy methods.
It's ui.saybehavior() and ui.interact() here, but I've seen some others in another game.
Is there a reason to show them in this window?
Could it be filtered out in future releases of your superb mod?

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Looks like you are using an old version of URM
You right, i thought i was using the last version. Just download the beta and seems to work fine. Thanks vimey.
I've pushed it to the public channel and placed it in the OP yesterday :)
Feature request if feasible:

Add a +10 and -10 buttons to int variables or perhaps I missed something obvious?
I might add something like that in the future
Hello, 0x52! In the "Choice code" window you can see that looks like a calling some standard RenPy methods.
It's ui.saybehavior() and ui.interact() here, but I've seen some others in another game.
Is there a reason to show them in this window?
Could it be filtered out in future releases of your superb mod?
I'll filter those in a future release ;)

j.a.stranger

Apr 7, 2018
Ran into an error while trying to launch DivineDawn-0.21e-pc (Ren'Py 7.5.1.22070801) with URM v1.9.4 (although it works with v1.5.1 which is a little weird)

Last edited:

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
URM 1.10 is available!

The changelog:
  • Implemented keyboard controls
    • Cancel and confirm dialogs with Escape and Enter keys
    • Automatically focus text inputs
    • Use tab and shift-tab to change between input fields
    • Confirm inputs with Enter key
  • Added persistent .URM files location, .URM files are now also saved in the following directories:
    • Windows - %APPDATA%/RenPy/0x52-URM/game
    • Mac - ~/Library/RenPy/0x52-URM/game
    • Linux and other - ~/.renpy/0x52-URM/game
  • Improved .URM file load screen
  • Fix: Ren'Py 7.5 compatibility
Implementing the keyboard controls was quite tricky. Ren'Py is not really made for this. But I'm very happy with the current implementation and it should feel quite natural.

Ran into an error while trying to launch DivineDawn-0.21e-pc (Ren'Py 7.5.1.22070801) with URM v1.9.4 (although it works with v1.5.1 which is a little weird)
Thanks for reporting, this is solved in URM 1.10

ouch2020

Aug 11, 2020
URM 1.10 is available!

The changelog:
  • Implemented keyboard controls
    • Automatically focus text inputs
    • Use tab and shift-tab to change between input fields
    • Confirm inputs with Enter key
  • Added persistent .URM files location, .URM files are now also saved in the following directories:
    • Windows - %APPDATA%/RenPy/0x52-URM/game
    • Mac - ~/Library/RenPy/0x52-URM/game
    • Linux and other - ~/.renpy/0x52-URM/game
  • Improved .URM file load screen
  • Fix: Ren'Py 7.5 compatibility
Implementing the keyboard controls was quite tricky. Ren'Py is not really made for this. But I'm very happy with the current implementation and it should feel quite natural.

Thanks for reporting, this is solved in URM 1.10
Question, if there is an URM file pre-existing in the game directory where URM is, will it get it, or do we need to move the file in one of the persistent directories ?
I do a patch for a game, but together with the patch, as a "bonus", I also give my urm file for the game (without URM, that they can get from you), so, I want to be sure the instruction I give are still correct.
Thanks.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Question, if there is an URM file pre-existing in the game directory where URM is, will it get it, or do we need to move the file in one of the persistent directories ?
I do a patch for a game, but together with the patch, as a "bonus", I also give my urm file for the game (without URM, that they can get from you), so, I want to be sure the instruction I give are still correct.
Thanks.
URM looks for files in two locations. Both the game folder (like before) and now also the persistent folder.
You can press the question mark button in the save screen to get the exact paths for the URM files.

Darksshades

Feb 7, 2020
I've noticed in a few games where URM shows the "Path detected" notification in the middle of a transition and it hides itself away before you can check it out.

Is this a known problem? Also, if I turn on skip transitions option, then URM does not even detect the path at all.

The script code of one such example in.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Marian Sijanin

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
I've noticed in a few games where URM shows the "Path detected" notification in the middle of a transition and it hides itself away before you can check it out.

Is this a known problem? Also, if I turn on skip transitions option, then URM does not even detect the path at all.
It's not a problem, it's working as expected. There's an if statement in the transition, and URM is telling you that, but the transition continues past that if statement check. Turning on skip transitions does exactly what it says on the tin, and skips the transition during which that if statement is checked.

Reactions: 0x52

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Implemented keyboard controls
Nice improvement. Thanks. Your mod is just getting better and better.

Have you considered a hotkey to toggle the show choices window, to save a few clicks?

How about "c" for choices? Or some other key. Press "c" once and get the choices window (same as pressing "m" and then clicking on "show choices" with the mouse. And then press "c" again to close the choices window, same as clicking the "x" with the mouse.

This would save a lot of clicking.

Thanks!

Reactions: theMickey_

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Got a suggestion, sometimes a VN has a customized save/load screen where it shows more or less than the default number of slots per page.
It would be nice if you could specify the number of columns/rows as a local setting if the VN in question uses something other than the default.
This probably also means that the image for each slot needs to be scaled up/down to fit the slot. (something that for instance is overlooked in "The Island" )

Reactions: CircaAD

Daiqvist

Jul 20, 2018
Indeed 0x52 , your mod is getting better and better. Thank you!

A useful thing could be being able to add to the watchlist or to the remember list a variable shown in the "choises detected" dialog (inside the "show code" or "show condition" button).

Another thing I miss (in a perfect world, of course! ;) ) is detecting only changed variables between two scenes.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019

The script code of one such example in.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Like Tiur said. This is because a game transitions into a path without a pause. I'm going to look into this, to see if URM could inject a pause before a path is detected.

Nice improvement. Thanks. Your mod is just getting better and better.

Have you considered a hotkey to toggle the show choices window, to save a few clicks?

How about "c" for choices? Or some other key. Press "c" once and get the choices window (same as pressing "m" and then clicking on "show choices" with the mouse. And then press "c" again to close the choices window, same as clicking the "x" with the mouse.

This would save a lot of clicking.

Thanks!
Thanks.
This is on the roadmap as "Hotkeys for showing paths and choices"

Got a suggestion, sometimes a VN has a customized save/load screen where it shows more or less than the default number of slots per page.
It would be nice if you could specify the number of columns/rows as a local setting if the VN in question uses something other than the default.
This probably also means that the image for each slot needs to be scaled up/down to fit the slot. (something that for instance is overlooked in "The Island" )
I'll think about this

Indeed 0x52 , your mod is getting better and better. Thank you!

A useful thing could be being able to add to the watchlist or to the remember list a variable shown in the "choises detected" dialog (inside the "show code" or "show condition" button).

Another thing I miss (in a perfect world, of course! ;) ) is detecting only changed variables between two scenes.
Currently the "show code" and "show condition" shows plain code. Most of the time it's variables, but not always. I'll think about this.

Your second question will be possible once the roadmap option "Snapshot feature; so you can snapshot variables and compare them with each other" gets implemented.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
something I've wanted to mention but since I don't often use it I kept forgetting.

when using the "Renaming" option, the more items there are in the list the slower that input dialog becomes and typed letters show like a slideshow of 1 character per second.

CheerMaster

Dec 27, 2018
I saw a dude asking about Extra Life two months ago, there's no way to make it work nor there will be any workarounds, right?
Thanks beforehand fellas.

Edit: Nvm, unlikely af, the dev made a "countermeasure" if you "hack" the game. Lame tbh.

Last edited:

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Oh, 1.10 is out -- awesome!

But just to let you know: the new "Update" function (which worked great the last few updates) is giving me an error, no matter what game I've tested it with. It's trying to update "in-game" from 1.9.4b or 1.9.4 to 1.10.

1660722199845.png

Reactions: 0x52

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
something I've wanted to mention but since I don't often use it I kept forgetting.

when using the "Renaming" option, the more items there are in the list the slower that input dialog becomes and typed letters show like a slideshow of 1 character per second.
Do you have an example of a game where this happens?
Red Room gives an error anytime you search for variables or scenes
Are you using URM version 1.10? Because the game uses Ren'Py 7.5 and 7.5 compatibility was fixed in URM 1.10
Oh, 1.10 is out -- awesome!

But just to let you know: the new "Update" function (which worked great the last few updates) is giving me an error, no matter what game I've tested it with. It's trying to update "in-game" from 1.9.4b or 1.9.4 to 1.10.

View attachment 1988719
I've noticed, but still thanks for letting me know.
Will be fixed in the next release ;)

Reactions: theMickey_

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Do you have an example of a game where this happens?
Yep, Savior happens to be the one I actually used the renaming option in... I've attached the file to make it easier to test. Currently has 154 items in the rename list.

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes