Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.2.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
No, rather I keep getting the "update loop" problem. It happened since 1.13 to 1.14 and now 1.14 to 1.15 as well. I did not use 1.10 before.
Do you get this with a specific game or any game?
A assume the game reloaded but URM didn't actually update then?

Feb 24, 2020
Do you get this with a specific game or any game?
A assume the game reloaded but URM didn't actually update then?
It happened in all of the Ren'py games that I've downloaded from F95zone. Titles include New Earth (1.14-->1.15), Fetish Locator (1.14-->1.15) and Freeloading Family (1.13-->1.14), as far as I can remember.

Feb 24, 2020
I've also forgotten to mention that I have also received a error log screen with the options "Rollback, ignore, etc" when I use the renaming function of the mod in the earlier parts of the game Fetish Locator. The error log screen does not pop up when I have reached the later stages of the game or if I am going through a re-run, provided that I have save files of the later parts of the game saved.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
...New Earth (1.14-->1.15), Fetish Locator (1.14-->1.15) and Freeloading Family (1.13-->1.14), as far as I can remember.
I've just tested:
  • New Earth, URM 1.14 / 1.14.1 --> 1.15.2 = self-update is working
  • Fetish Locator, URM 1.14 / 1.14.1 --> 1.15.2 = self-update is working
  • Freeloading Familiy, URM 1.13 / 1.13.1 / 1.13.2 / 1.13.2 / 1.13.4 --> 1.15.2 = self-update is working
There are two more things I can think of:
  • Do you have those games installed in a somehow "access restricted" folder, like "Program Files", or directly on "C:\" or "D:\" or something like that? Only Administrators have write access to those folders usually, so any self-update will fail if you run the game as a regular user from those folders.
  • Are you playing on Android with a game version that has URM already included? I've never tested this myself, but I'm pretty sure the self-update will fail in that case.
And if you're not playing on Android -- what platform do you actually play your games? Windows? Linux? MacOS?

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
There are two more things I can think of:
  • Do you have those games installed in a somehow "access restricted" folder, like "Program Files", or directly on "C:\" or "D:\" or something like that? Only Administrators have write access to those folders usually, so any self-update will fail if you run the game as a regular user from those folders.
  • Are you playing on Android with a game version that has URM already included? I've never tested this myself, but I'm pretty sure the self-update will fail in that case.
URM checks for all those things before trying to update. So that should result in a message before even trying to update :unsure:

Danv

Aug 21, 2020
aha! found it - disabling global "skip splashscreen" fixes the problem, looks like it kicks in before game have time to define those language variables so whole thing simply dies

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
aha! found it - disabling global "skip splashscreen" fixes the problem, looks like it kicks in before game have time to define those language variables so whole thing simply dies
Oh -- that makes sense! Because if you check the "splashscreen", once you click on "Yes" it jumps to the section where the game sets the variable "LanEng = True". There are also "hidden" spots on that splashscreen which you can click on to select either "LanBra = True" or "LanRus = True". So if you skip the splashscreen, those variables will never get set, hence the error! Good spot! :)

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Oh -- that makes sense! Because if you check the "splashscreen", once you click on "Yes" it jumps to the section where the game sets the variable "LanEng = True". There are also "hidden" spots on that splashscreen which you can click on to select either "LanBra = True" or "LanRus = True". So if you skip the splashscreen, those variables will never get set, hence the error! Good spot! :)
Quite an interesting choice of coding. From what I understand they set the language during the splashscreen using variables that have no default value and are non-persistent.
Because it has no default Danv encounters his error.
Because it's non-persistent you would have to select a language every time the game starts (if there's a language selection screen).
And it's a boolean, so theoretically you could set "LanEng = True", "LanBra = True" and "LanRus = True" at the same time :D

oRG4ZMo

Oct 7, 2022
hi 0x52,
first of all thank you very much for this extraordinarily useful mod. I sometimes wonder how I ever got along without this one. I especially like that I can set my preferred textbox appearance with just a few clicks. the same mod allows to find and change variables comfortably. I can easily force a path. small program errors are quickly corrected by the integrated auto updater.
but i have one small request:

Sorting of "Remembered Variables" by Name was here discussed
Thank you for your kind words.

Sorting variables isn't possible yet, but it's on my todo list.
and is now implemented like this:

URM_SorrtingRememberedVar.jpg

is it possible to implement the same mechanism for sorting the results here too?
URM_SortingVarWildcard.jpg

MausMaus

Aug 2, 2018
Getting this error when trying to use URM on the game Sovereign.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00gamemenu.rpy", line 173, in script
    jump expression _game_menu_screen
ScriptError: could not find label 'URM_welcome_screen'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/common/00gamemenu.rpy", line 173, in script
    jump expression _game_menu_screen
  File "C:\mega downloads\extracted\Sovereign-3.0-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1974, in execute
    rv = renpy.game.script.lookup(target)
  File "C:\mega downloads\extracted\Sovereign-3.0-pc\renpy\script.py", line 927, in lookup
    raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))
ScriptError: could not find label 'URM_welcome_screen'.

Windows-10-10.0.19044 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809
Sovereign 3.0
Sat Jul 29 14:03:33 2023

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Getting this error when trying to use URM on the game Sovereign.
Did a quick test, and I don't seem to have any issues -- URM works fine, searching/changing variables work etc.. Did you change your game in any other way except adding URM? What version of URM are you using? Did you extract the game's or URM's *.RPA files?

1690637946107.png

Reactions: 0x52
5.00 star(s) 33 Votes