Ren'Py - Abandoned - Unknown [Chp.1] [Beep Beep hurray]

1. 2.00 star(s)

docclox

The game is, how can I put this nicely? Rough. As. Fuck?

There's a halfway decent idea in the dev's mind, I think, but they don't make any effort to explain what it is. You start out in a courtry unfamiliar to your character (India), but with no idea why. And the local police(woman) apparently wants to harass you or arrest you, but you have no idea why. I mean, it's not even clear if they protagonist doesn't know these things, or if the dev was simply too lazy to explain.

It doesn't help that navigation is of the hunt the pixel variety - and of course, you're left to figure that out by yourself as well. There is a map screen, but the location buttons have no borders and tend to vanmish into the background graphic, the one that advances the plot particularly so.

If you do find the right map icon, you come to a "perfectly ordinary weird spooky house" (or words to that effect and after some more pixel hunting you find a key to unlock a door I hadn't realized was there in the first place, and that takes you to an unconscious woman. You can't take her to the hospital or the police or you'll get arrested (for whatever reason they want to arrest you) and so you take her back to your hotel room...

And at this point, I ought to be raring to go, anxious to see what perverse things are going to happen in that hotel room ... but I'd spent that long fighting with the game I gave up.

Better renders would help. I've played worse that this before now, my attention held by pretty faces and some shapely T&A, but there isn't even that going for this one. I don't mind so much that the policewoman looks like an unfinished clay golem, but the damsel in distress that I'm suppose to rescue (I think?) doesn't look helpeless and vulnerable, so much as a confusing mess of tartan and flesh tones.

I will say that I feel a little mean in writing this review. As I say, the dev seems to have a good diea and I suspect that it's quite clear in their head. But tthat idea needs to be articulated or no one else is going to get it. I suspect English isn't the first language here, and I sympathize on that point, but there is no substitute for doing the work needed to communicate the game. to the player.

Maybe the next release will be better. I think this could be a lot of fun, but it needs a lot of work first.

[edit]

Went back and played through the rest. There's not a lot more (which is forgivable in a 0.1 release. Less so in a Chapter 1 release, but let's not split hairs). Renders get a lot better once the girls' clothes come off. Still not sure the plot makes a lot of sense... but again, I'm being needlessly picky.

Still can't in all conscience recommend the game as of 12 November 2022, but there is some home for improvement.