Unofficial update patches

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Talking about user-made patches to update a game (generally Renpy) from eg. 0.1.1 to 0.1.2.

Is there a thread dedicated to this? Surprised there's not more interest in this considering crunched/compressed versions seem pretty popular...

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
What exactly you mean by that? I'm not sure I follow since users can't predict the future.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
I'm not sure I follow since users can't predict the future.
:HideThePain:

Often, there is a small difference in size between releases. One release might be 3.1 GB, the next 3.2 GB. By patch I mean an archive containing just the files necessary to "transform" the old version into the new version. It's pretty easy to create such a patch for Renpy games using a tool to find the difference between two folders.

Only example I can think of is Harem Hotel. These days the dev produces the update patches, but they used to be created by a user. I'm pretty sure a few other games have or had user-produced update patches, but I can't remember which.

It may just be that there's not much demand for this kind of thing, but it seems it would be of interest to people who download compressed versions due to bandwidth issues.