Unreal fees

Jon_Sleeper

Nov 14, 2018
How much do I have to pay for Unreal Engine 4?
UE4 is free to use, with a 5% royalty on gross product revenue after the first $3,000 per game per calendar quarter from commercial products. Read the for more details. Contact us if you require .

Reactions: lancelotdulak

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Said otherwise, in a Patreon, so monthly, point of view and if I understood correctly :
NO, if you make less than $,1000/month.
YES, if you make more than $1,000/month ; then you'll have to give 5% of everything above the said $1,000.

This said, there's games made with Unreal available here. Search one that make more than $1,000/month and that have a member of the team here. Then PM him to gently ask the question.

CaveWolf

Jun 24, 2017
A 5% royalty is due only if you are distributing an off-the-shelf product that incorporates Unreal Engine code (such as a game) and the lifetime gross revenue from that product exceeds $1 million USD; in this case, the first $1 million remains royalty-exempt.

can't imagine $1 million donations

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
A 5% royalty is due only if you are distributing an off-the-shelf product that incorporates Unreal Engine code (such as a game) and the lifetime gross revenue from that product exceeds $1 million USD; in this case, the first $1 million remains royalty-exempt.

can't imagine $1 million donations
My understanding was that this is correct. You don't owe Epic Games a dime until the revenue from your game exceeds $1 million.