Tool Ren'Py UnRen.bat v1.0.11d - RPA Extractor, RPYC Decompiler, Console/Developer Menu Enabler

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
unren1.0.11d.png

I had originally created this script for myself, but I've decided to clean it up a bit and release it for everyone. You can extract RPA archives (using built in ), decompile RPYC files (using built in ), enable the console and developer menu for Ren'Py games and more. The intent of this tool is to remain a simple, no-nonsense utility for accessing Ren'Py game content, current and past.

No dependencies, no internet connection required. You can right click->edit to see the source! Works on Windows 7, 8 and 10, but XP and Vista can be supported too (see "Known Issues" section.)

There are other tools which do similar things, for your consideration:
Thread updated: 2023-06-14

Instructions:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Known Issues - Feel free to report in the thread if you encounter any issues or bugs:
Contributions:
Change Log:

Download
Unren-1.0.11d

Last edited by a moderator:

Krull

Retired
GFX Designer
Respected User
Donor
Feb 1, 2017
Awesome , can always use more tech-ish stuff like this.
Thanks!

gue5t

Sep 11, 2016
Can you make a version where the external files are not incorporated in the bat file but the path to them is set?

P.S. Embedding executable content in bat files is bad because it can't be updated by the end user and it's easy to replace it and send the file as new/updated version in order to infect unsuspecting user systems.

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
Can you make a version where the external files are not incorporated in the bat file but the path to them is set?

P.S. Embedding executable content in bat files is bad because it can't be updated by the end user and it's easy to replace it and send the file as new/updated version in order to infect unsuspecting user systems.
That is the same for any executable, any exe can have malicious code in it or be easily binded with another. At least with a .bat script the source is viewable and the base64 encoded strings can be easily decoded. As with anything; if you don't trust the source, don't run it.

This script is intended to be a simple 1 click option, having multiple files, users having to copy different things, having to update the libraries by themselves etc doesn't fit in with the tools intended scope.

gue5t

Sep 11, 2016
My suggestion was to have 2 versions: one with everything embedded and one where the external files are linked to by the user.

P.S. The problem arrives when people start trusting you and someone else gives them a link to a modified version of the file.

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
My suggestion was to have 2 versions: one with everything embedded and one where the external files are linked to by the user.

P.S. The problem arrives when people start trusting you and someone else gives them a link to a modified version of the file.
In v0.3 I can add a variable to define your own path, and if it isn't set it can use the built in version, best of both worlds.

I understand what you meant, however I'm saying that isn't unique to a .bat script, anyone could do that with any exe that is shared anywhere on the internet. It is the users own fault if they decide to trust a random 3rd party.

Reactions: gue5t
Aug 5, 2016
So what is supposed to be the end result of all of this? I'm looking in my /game/ folder after running the .bat and there doesn't seem to be any change other than the addition of an un.rpyc file. I'm also seeing an ImportError: no module named site on the app when I run it, is that something that should not be happening?

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
So what is supposed to be the end result of all of this? I'm looking in my /game/ folder after running the .bat and there doesn't seem to be any change other than the addition of an un.rpyc file. I'm also seeing an ImportError: no module named site on the app when I run it, is that something that should not be happening?
Just updated to v0.3, which sets PYTHONPATH which should fix your issue, link in OP :)

I'll add the optional configuration gue5t requested in 0.4.

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
What is the purpose of Extracting RPA packages and decompile RPYC file?
All the images used in renpy games are usually packaged in an RPA file, by extracting them you'll be able to easily see all images contained in the game.

Sometimes a developer will only distribute the RPYC files, which are compiled RPY files, meaning they cannot be viewed in a text editor. Decompiling them will allow you to view the games source code.

yolostar

May 2, 2017
All the images used in renpy games are usually packaged in an RPA file, by extracting them you'll be able to easily see all images contained in the game.

Sometimes a developer will only distribute the RPYC files, which are compiled RPY files, meaning they cannot be viewed in a text editor. Decompiling them will allow you to view the games source code.
K thnx for the info.

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes