Tool Ren'Py UnRen for MacOS and Linux v0.8.2

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

dikau

Dec 16, 2019
Totally my bad, I just misread your post. For some reason I read "shipped with the game" as "shipped with MacOS." No idea why. I'm just dumb like that sometimes.

However, I have discovered something strange. Where you save a game matters a lot more than I previously thought. When I ran Unren on u4ia today I got this error
Python:
 > Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
  > Python path configuration:
  >   PYTHONHOME = (not set)
  >   PYTHONPATH = (not set)
  >   program name = '/Users/xxxxxxx/Games/u4ia.app/Contents/MacOS/python'
  >   isolated = 0
  >   environment = 1
  >   user site = 1
  >   import site = 1
  >   sys._base_executable = '/Users/xxxxxxx/Games/u4ia.app/Contents/MacOS/python'
  >   sys.base_prefix = '/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.mac-arm64'
  >   sys.base_exec_prefix = '/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.mac-arm64'
  >   sys.platlibdir = 'lib'
  >   sys.executable = '/Users/xxxxxxx/Games/u4ia.app/Contents/MacOS/python'
  >   sys.prefix = '/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.mac-arm64'
  >   sys.exec_prefix = '/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.mac-arm64'
  >   sys.path = [
  >     '/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.mac-arm64/lib/python39.zip',
  >     '/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.mac-arm64/lib/python3.9',
  >     '/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.mac-arm64/lib/lib-dynload',
  >   ]
  > Fatal Python error: init_fs_encoding: failed to get the Python codec of the filesystem encoding
  > Python runtime state: core initialized
  > ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'encodings'
  >
  > Current thread 0x00000001f4275e00 (most recent call first):
  > <no Python frame>
However, based on some discussion in this thread for 0x52's Universal Renpy Mod, I tried moving the game to my desktop and then trying Unren. It worked like a charm. Weird.
Yes, that can happen due to macOS . Basically, it checks if downloaded apps are from trusted sources to keep us safe from potential sketchy software. Some folders are considered "pretty safe" for running apps.

If you disable that restriction, you can run any apps in any folder, which includes running Renpy's own Python in this case. Removing GateKeeper for single app is pretty trivial, and it's handled in the UnRen script using xattr

So if you're facing this issue, it might be because you don't have the privilege to "trick" GateKeeper i.e. you need sudo, or there's another protective app running, or you've tweaked the script (?).

Last edited:

toobad0912

May 1, 2021
Yes, that can happen due to macOS . Basically, it checks if downloaded apps are from trusted sources to keep us safe from potential sketchy software. Some folders are considered "pretty safe" for running apps.

If you disable that restriction, you can run any apps in any folder, which includes running Renpy's own Python in this case. Removing GateKeeper for single app is pretty trivial, and it's handled in the UnRen script using xattr

So if you're facing this issue, it might be because you don't have the privilege to "trick" GateKeeper i.e. you need sudo, or there's another protective app running, or you've tweaked the script (?).
Definitely haven't tweaked the script. Wouldn't even know how to if I wanted to lol. I just moved my games a few levels up in the hierarchy and things seem to be working fine now! Thanks though.

Welwigo

Apr 12, 2021
I've encountered quite the bizarre error. Using Mint 20.1, so it's the Ubuntu Focal 20.04 base. Either using an alias or just using good old python2.7 -m ./UnRen.command runs the tools... But then it gives me the error of
File "./UnRen.command", line 61
quicksavekey="K_F5"
^
IndentationError: unexpected indent

And if I fix that, then it gives me the error of
File "./UnRen.command", line 69
ARG1=$1
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

It seems something's have a terribly uncouth interaction. Either that or it just fuckin' hates my Python 2.7 install.

andy2020

Aug 24, 2019
I'm getting errors.

UnRen for Mac and Linux v0.8.2
by goobdoob @ www.f95zone.to
based on the original version by jimmy5 @ www.f95zone.to
and UnRen.bat by sam @ www.f95zone.to
Python is installed, detected
Error - cannot find rpatool or unrpyc in UnRen v0.8.2 Tools. Exiting

The files rpatool and unrpyc.py are both in the tools folder.

I even copied them into the directory that I run the UnRen.command from - same error.

I commented out the check for those files though so that I could enable console, but then when I attempt to run the game:

./Princess\ Trainer\ GE.sh
The label stress_up is defined twice, at
File "15_messages.rpyc", line 49 and
File "15_messages.rpyc", line 164.

Last edited:

dikau

Dec 16, 2019
I've read the entire thread and now I'm a little confused: is this the last version?
does it support python 3?
It's another version of UnRen from this thread. It uses the Python that comes with Ren'Py games, rather than your system-installed Python. Yes, it supports Ren'Py 8 with its Python 3.

Reactions: jk11

kaxfool

May 24, 2017
I had trouble getting UnRen working. (Ubuntu 20.04) Same issue as few others here:
Code:
$ ./UnRen.command
UnRen for Mac and Linux v0.8.2
by goobdoob @ www.f95zone.to
based on the original version by jimmy5 @ www.f95zone.to
and UnRen.bat by sam @ www.f95zone.to
Python is installed, detected
Error - cannot find rpatool or unrpyc in UnRen v0.8.2 Tools. Exiting
However, my fix differs a bit from the previous ones so worth commenting.
I had both Python2 and Python3 installed. However, it seems the script failed because there was no python version detected with command "python".
So I installed "python-is-python3" package. Now the script can detect something at "python" and decide it's unsupported, and goes for "python2" which works. I suppose alias python=python2 would also work. But this is what I did because it's the quickest way to make the script work permanently.
Fucking finally. Thanks for this. Had the same issue as you but UnRen.command works now. New error though:

ValueError: unsupported pickle protocol: 5

Edit: Fixed by downloading and replacing rpatool with the rpatool.py from https://f95zone.to/threads/rpa-extractor-for-mac.175350/.

Renamed rpatool.py to rpatool before replacing. Still didnt work by running ./UnRen.command so ran the following directly:

python rpatool -x /PATH/game/archive.rpa

and it worked like a charm (y)

Last edited:

BadmanBaxter

May 28, 2019
View attachment 141160

UnRen is a script that makes it easy to do interesting things to Ren'Py games. This version, for MacOS and Linux, is based off of by @Sam . UnRen.command is a bash shell script that calls python commands to do some of the work.

The original version was created by @jimmy5 , but he's passed ownership to me.

The current version is 0.8.2, available here.

Features:
  • Extract RPA packages, using .
  • Decompile rpyc files, using .
  • Enable Console and Developer Menu
  • Enable Quick Save and Quick Load
  • Force enable skipping of unseen content
  • Force enable rollback (scroll wheel)
  • Open game directory

Installation:

Download and unzip the script. Place it where you like. There are 2 ways to run it:
  1. Double click on UnRen.command. This will open a Terminal window that will allow you to drag (or type the path to) the app you want to work on.
  2. Run UnRen.command from the command line. You can provide the path to the app on the command line, or type it in when UnRen asks for it.
  3. UnRen runs in bash. Other shells may or may not work. Do NOT run UnRen with "sh UnRen.command" if your sh is not bash. Instead, if you run it from the command line, run it with a full path, or "./UnRen.command".

Known Issues:
  • None
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Trying to use this on my chromebook on linux so that I can access the renpy console in pokemon academy life. I have downloaded and unzipped and put it in the game folder of pokemon academy life however aside from double clicking to open the command part I understand none of what I have to do or type in to get it to work anyone here know what I should do?

SteelyDan14

Formerly Known as GeekBone
Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Trying to use this on my chromebook on linux so that I can access the renpy console in pokemon academy life. I have downloaded and unzipped and put it in the game folder of pokemon academy life however aside from double clicking to open the command part I understand none of what I have to do or type in to get it to work anyone here know what I should do?
It works differently from the win version and does not have to be in the same directory. Just run it in a terminal and then drag the folder with the game into the terminal, hit enter and your menu will appear.

SteelyDan14

Formerly Known as GeekBone
Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
The other option is to just unlock the console yourself. Open the RENPY folder and then the COMMON folder and look for a file called 00console.rpy. Open it with a text editor and look for this line:
Code:
# Configuration and style initalization.
init -1500 python:

# If true, the console is enabled despite config.developer being False.
    config.console = False
Change False to True, save and reload your game.

Mr_SmithXoXo

Nov 11, 2020
Fucking finally. Thanks for this. Had the same issue as you but UnRen.command works now. New error though:

ValueError: unsupported pickle protocol: 5

Edit: Fixed by downloading and replacing rpatool with the rpatool.py from https://f95zone.to/threads/rpa-extractor-for-mac.175350/.

Renamed rpatool.py to rpatool before replacing. Still didnt work by running ./UnRen.command so ran the following directly:

python rpatool -x /PATH/game/archive.rpa

and it worked like a charm (y)
Can you give me a detailed step-by-step guide? Nothing seems to work for me.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote