Update: Learning 3D to become an adult game developer. Making big progress. Hopefully I can start production on my first game in 6-8 months.

Noxusa

Mar 12, 2019
I'm doing 3D every single day to practice my skills. These are my latest creations. They're not perfect and still need lots of work. I hope that within 6-8 months I can start production on my first adult game! The legs obviously need a lot of work, but I have already fixed it in my current project. It's obviously not textured.

Full Body 1.jpg Full Body 2.jpg Full Body 3.jpg Full Body 5.jpg

M$hot

May 28, 2017
I know how hard 3D is so I wish you the best of luck on your journey! Would you permit me some constructive criticism? Not that I'm going to say things you aren't already aware of probably.

- The extremities look really off (toes and fingers) And the wrists/fingers seem to almost flatten into a claw. I would add some more material both on the inside of the wrist and on the top of the fingers. I don't know how you've segmented everything or what your mesh looks like, but it shouldn't be too hard to select the fingers and drag them out a bit and have the nurbs take a more natural shape. Also might want to make them a tad longer.
- I like the breast/chest area but friendly reminder, a mesh can easily get cluttered here which makes for hard texturizing and bumpmapping. Temporarily throwing on a flesh texture might help you catch unnatural folds in the mesh.
- Keep an eye on how you're rigging everything, right now it looks almost entirely like a shaped mesh (to me) with no bone structure. This could make animating/posing a giant challenge. My previous point also has to come back here, if the mesh is a bit messy it can make for example a folded leg look really weird or even make it clip.

Anyway, if you're practicing daily I'm sure you've looked at this long enough to be aware of these things. Again, best of luck! I love the idea of a 3D artist creating truly his own models so your game has unique characters.

Noxusa

Mar 12, 2019
I know how hard 3D is so I wish you the best of luck on your journey! Would you permit me some constructive criticism? Not that I'm going to say things you aren't already aware of probably.

- The extremities look really off (toes and fingers) And the wrists/fingers seem to almost flatten into a claw. I would add some more material both on the inside of the wrist and on the top of the fingers. I don't know how you've segmented everything or what your mesh looks like, but it shouldn't be too hard to select the fingers and drag them out a bit and have the nurbs take a more natural shape. Also might want to make them a tad longer.
- I like the breast/chest area but friendly reminder, a mesh can easily get cluttered here which makes for hard texturizing and bumpmapping. Temporarily throwing on a flesh texture might help you catch unnatural folds in the mesh.
- Keep an eye on how you're rigging everything, right now it looks almost entirely like a shaped mesh (to me) with no bone structure. This could make animating/posing a giant challenge. My previous point also has to come back here, if the mesh is a bit messy it can make for example a folded leg look really weird or even make it clip.

Anyway, if you're practicing daily I'm sure you've looked at this long enough to be aware of these things. Again, best of luck! I love the idea of a 3D artist creating truly his own models so your game has unique characters.
Constructive criticism is always welcome, so thank! This was actually the very first full body I ever did. The hands are indeed weird, but today I did a better job at it:

Hand 2.jpg

I still need to go through various processes before this is usable, but I think I should be ready in 6-8 months!

Reactions: M$hot

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Honestly I applaud your efforts for creating a character from scratch, but it's a complete waste of time. You can spend months creating something nice, but it will most likely still not be as good as an exciting character. Especially the typology will most likely be a mess compared to an excisting one. And you really need a good one for posing/animating or you will get wierd bending etc.

In my opinion you would be much better of downloading an exciting character and morphing that one that your liking to create a new character. Your typology will be perfect from the get go, and you will still have an unique character. Even if your aim is a more cartoonist style character I would go this round.

And spend the months you would spend on learning to create a character on the other parts you need to learn/create. How to texture them (which takes a lot longer then you think it will for human characters), rigg them, pose/animate them, create shape keys for expressions, lightning, composition, etc. 3D modeling is just a minor part of creating a character.

And maybe spend more time on the environment if you really want to 3D model stuff. In my opinion it's better to learn how to create furniture, buildings, etc. from scratch compared to a character as you won't be able to find a good base model you can morph for all the environment pieces you want/need.

Reactions: QoSKitty and MrBree

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
I'm doing 3D every single day to practice my skills.
Have you done any anatomy studies? The entire body looks incorrect in terms of proportion. Breast don't just stick on like that, they wrap around to the underside of the armpit. Almost connecting to the lower part where the arm meets the shoulder. I don't know what kind of workflow you have so I'm writing this assuming you didn't start with primitive shapes before sculpting.

If you haven't already, I suggest you take some time and learn the anatomy of the gender you are trying to construct. Learn how the muscles connect with each other, this will help you visualize where you need to make the connections and the finer details. Understand where the joints are, that way during your retopo you know where extra polygons are needed. These extra polygon will help reduce the strange bending when you start to deform your mesh.

Translate those understanding into primitive shapes, for example breaking the head down to it's simplest form it'd be some what of an oval shape with two oval cylinders on the side, the body would be 2 pieces of rectangles plus a half sphere, representing the torso, abdomen, and the pelvis . So on and so forth. The rest would just be sculpting in the details. Of course the workflow if you aren't sculpting is much different but the same concept still applies. Knowing anatomy is just half the battle, but it's a crucial part that will help you make characters that aren't from the uncanny valley.

Another suggestion is to watch clay sculptors, and try to pick up any tips you can from watching them sculpt. In essence that's what digital sculpting is.

D

Deleted member 1954024

Boi oh boi... So nice to see a guy's/girl's journey into game development. I have no tips to offer you, but i would like you to keep your ambitions up, looks like you already have put some time to learn this stuff. I'm looking forward to the day I'll get to play your first game.

Reactions: Dragon59