Update Only

Jan 7, 2018
Can this become a thing? I've seen an increase game size files. Some are in early versions and already got 6 or 7GB.

Don't know if are the devs that provide Update Only but would be cool to see that more.

I know there's compressed version but that can creat problems like error and black screens...

I don't have a download limit but i still thing that smaller size updates would be better for everyone

Not sure if this is the best place to post, but anyway...

TheBlueKnight

Discussion Dynamo
Respected User
Jr. Uploader
Oct 1, 2018
If the developer or someone else doesn't make a update patch you can try requesting one here.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I still think it would be nice to see more of Update Only in games :)
Indeed, and update only are very simple to implement in renpy games: it can be as easy as just removing all old images from the new version and calling it "update only".

But people are lazy and along with faster internet speeds it becomes easier to just delete the entire game and download the complete next version again which is why we see fewer and fewer games following this model.

I know there's compressed version but that can creat problems like error and black screens...
And no, most times the compressed version just compresses the images so they won't give you errors. Go for them if you want smaller files.
Only walkthrough mods and patches that can give you errors.

Jan 7, 2018
Indeed, and update only are very simple to implement in renpy games: it can be as easy as just removing all old images from the new version and calling it "update only".

But people are lazy and along with faster internet speeds it becomes easier to just delete the entire game and download the complete next version again which is why we see fewer and fewer games following this model.

And no, most times the compressed version just compresses the images so they won't give you errors. Go for them if you want smaller files.
Only walkthrough mods and patches that can give you errors.

I've tried compressed version before and got errors that's why i stopped downloading. Maybe i just got bad luck...

But anyway i don't have limitations for downloads or speeds. This is just more of a suggestion. If it can be done, in a easy not annoying way, why not provide "Update Only"? If i download all the updates for the games i follow, today, i would easily get up to 30GB. I understand this might be a stupid thing to "complain" about but it's something that can help other ppl. Sometimes i see request for compressed version so, again, why not just put "update only"...

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
If it can be done, in a easy not annoying way, why not provide "Update Only"?
Again, it's pretty simple in most cases but someone still has to do it. There are users dedicated to compressing games and uploading torrents but we don't seem to have many people dedicated to generating update only patches right now.

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
You'd think making a game a bit more work than making it take less space or having update only patch.
Then again some devs upload their games with volume set at 100% so I guess nothing is a given.

kristijanEX

May 25, 2020
A select number of games do that, but unfortunately not enough, makes it really painful when a 6-20GB game gets updated and your internet speed sucks despite you paying top dollar.

DiviDreamer

Aug 29, 2020
There is third-party software that can make updates for almost any software with few clicks but for a price
devs just don't want to waste time and i understand why

Jan 7, 2018
I understand that dev/dev team needs to upload the full game anyway, because some new players will need it. All i'm saying is that it would be nice to also have a link with an update only/patch

Just to give an idea. Being a DIK have a full game size of 20GB right now(End of season 2)

Being a DIK do have an update only link(if i remember correctly), only this last time it didn't because of some changes in the game. So we have to download the 20gb

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
There is third-party software that can make updates for almost any software with few clicks but for a price
devs just don't want to waste time and i understand why
The bigger issue isn't the cost of the software, it's hosting. Right now we host on public servers (Mega, Zippy, etc), but if we host Delta patches they need to be hosted somewhere else. That's money, potentially serious money for a large and popular game.

For Steam I use delta patches because that's how Steam is set up; uploading a build takes me a minute or so, and it's in the hands of Beta testers inside 10 minutes. It's great, but then Steam does take 30% of all my sales, so it's hardly free neither :)

Reactions: scrumbles
Jan 7, 2018
There's no need to spend money, or lose money, over this.

I just think it would be nice to see more games with an "update only" patch, the same way there's a compressed version pretty much for every game

So for any dev or someone, that knows their way around programs, in this community can provide more of these patches would be nice, and i think a lot of us would apreciate it :)

Have a nice day everyone