Uploading DevBuild for testing with (licensed?) Content

Oct 19, 2017
Hey there,
im currently developing a Game wich runs on the Unity Engine.
The Game is still far from release or starting a Patreon for it, but im already curious about some mechanics and would love to get Feedback from the Community.
Most of the Content in the Game is Handcrafted, besides of the Characters, wich are currently DAZ Gen8 Characters. The Game includes a Character-Editor with (currently) about 2000 different Morphs so the Player can create his own MC and Edit the existing Characters from the Story. Each Character has a pre-configuration to have a specific look, but can be edited using the Character-Editor.

Im still corious, if i need the interactive licenses for the DAZ Assets i used, because i ported these Assets to be used on the DAZ Gen8 Base-Characters, Exported them to Blender, Modified the Morphs and finally exported the Models (Gen8 Base Male and Gen8 Base Female) to fbx to be used in the Project.
The DAZ License says, that if you use the Assets in any 3D-Application you need to buy the Interactive license. (But am i still using the Assets since i modified them, ported them to Gen8 Base and converted them with Blender?!)

But the main Question is: Do i need to purchase the interactive Licenses for the Morphs even if i "only" release a DevBuild to be tested by people?
These DevBuilds would not be a "Game". More some Ripped off parts like a single Build for eG the Character Editor, interaction System etc.
Also Features like Skin-Changing, Dresses, etc. wich use Meshes or Textures from Assets may be included, but they are more easy to exclude from the DevBuilds without breaking the whole System behind it.

Once the Game goes to an Alpha state, im planning on purchasing all the interactive licenses of used Assets, but at the Moment since i dont know if i keep certain Morphs, Assets etc. i dont want to waste Money on it.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Good question. I guess if someone wants to piss at you, having no licens can be a problem. Technically you need it. Practically no one really cares unless the game is released.
For my alpha test I aksed people to participate and everyone who responded got a link to the alpha in a private message.

I Steal Your Cats
Donor
Oct 4, 2017
You would require a interactive license if you modified the models in Blender, yes. Legally that is. If it's a "Private Build" and only a few people test it, you should be good if you don't have the license yet. Just make sure you have them when it goes public, if that's your plan.