• Total voters

bobdillan

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2016
skadoo skadae I have a new post for you today (pun intended):
1574259505563.png

mockup model for this post in le house (not textured yet obv):
1574259556110.png

Since my main setback for not working is learning anatomy and working on my art skills, I thought why tf am I not modelling the damn assets yet? cause I only need to learn blender to do that (am experienced with maya so not that big of a learning curve as if I was to start from scratch... although does feel like that XD ) gotta resize it though.... thing is about 3m tall XD the top will be viewable by the player, since 2.5D style.

Last edited:

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
my main setback for not working is learning anatomy and working on my art skills,
That's a good way to lose track of two years :p

Are you going to be doing a 2.5D type game? Or were you going to do 3D but provide a camera perspective to emulate 2.5D?

I should be 3D modeling, but it takes time, and I like screwing around more than anything. that and being busy.

For your 3D model, will you be painting it 100% or are you going to use a combination of tricks to try to auto texture it (EI use a 3D wood texture to do all the wood, baking in the shading, etc?). There's lots of realistic resources out there, but then the challenge becomes not so much being able to do realistic, but being able to make custom models that are good enough for all the realistic resources you have so that everything matches. I have constantly been going back and forth between realism, cartoon, etc as I try to find enough assets that work in unison for everything I want to do. I don't know if this is something you have ran into yet, or if the scope of your game is manageable enough that you are not too worried about spending too much time making an unreasonably large workload perfect.

bobdillan

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2016
That's a good way to lose track of two years :p

Are you going to be doing a 2.5D type game? Or were you going to do 3D but provide a camera perspective to emulate 2.5D?

I should be 3D modeling, but it takes time, and I like screwing around more than anything. that and being busy.

For your 3D model, will you be painting it 100% or are you going to use a combination of tricks to try to auto texture it (EI use a 3D wood texture to do all the wood, baking in the shading, etc?). There's lots of realistic resources out there, but then the challenge becomes not so much being able to do realistic, but being able to make custom models that are good enough for all the realistic resources you have so that everything matches. I have constantly been going back and forth between realism, cartoon, etc as I try to find enough assets that work in unison for everything I want to do. I don't know if this is something you have ran into yet, or if the scope of your game is manageable enough that you are not too worried about spending too much time making an unreasonably large workload perfect.
2.5D is both 3d models or 2d models or both mixed. but my plan is 3d models, but thinking of doing what mike inel/manyakis does, and use 3d models to animate but do it in a way that the end product is 2d (might have to end on sprites might not, will see). but my main goal is for it to feel similar to rpgmaker, but where I can do cutscenes (this is wishful thinking though). I have big plans but will scale it back for initial full release, then have a re-release later that has all the bells and whistles. for the texture stuff... that is way ahead of where I am currently at. my main concern is just learning blender. I might end up letting you the player change 2.5d perspective (although thinking about it, is more effort than it is worth, but will fully model everything because cutscenes :p ). but yeah this is all thinking ahead, that model is just a basic shape, will probable need to bevel it and stuff to make it look more wood-like. Any realistic timeframe would be.... well think of motherlove but slower XD cause that is a 4 man job (I think there are 4 people working on it now), and this is a one man job :| so yeah.

Reactions: YohanGh

bobdillan

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2016
Update (not on the project sadly): Still alive, just have the monumental task of trying to organise my life, won't go into too much detail.

Urban related, I have the monumental task of pretty much learning blender from scratch, since i can't use maya cause shits expensive and I have pretty much no money and am in debt and this ain't my solution for that btw, this is just something I want to make.
Any future revenue if any at all for any projects would be purely to fund le projects and not le lifestyle, cause $100 a month ain't gonna do shit for bread on the table XD so real life job it is :p but hey games experience is games experience and the closer I get to making my dreams into reality.... at least in game form, the better!
Pron game or otherwise (yeah I have non-pron game ideas too :p)

Story wise I have been thinking of the idea, to mix in a bit of god mythology to explain why MC can do what he do (reincarnation of a demigod maybe? or a duality sort of thing where you are you but also contain the essence of said god/demigod, kinda like how masterchief contains the imprint of the iso-didact in halo hence why 343 guilty spark thinks they recognise you and ask you why you asked them the same question again, even though it was le first.)

Was also considering a sort of cliff-hanger type ending where the player sort of becomes atlas and has to hold the world together to prevent some sort of cataclysm, while their real world self is basically a vegetable. although this is a bit outlandish and just random thoughts, so give me feedback on how good, or how shit these ideas are. am happy to mutilate them and only take the stuff of substance.

That about raps up the gist of things, thought about adding MCs dad somewhere but am probably not going to (might have him killed off instead of the phone call thing that was done in the OG one, just to tie up the loose end, don't want too many plotholes).

So yeah feel free to tear these ideas a new one like no tomorrow. can't make a great batch of cookies without breaking some eggs and then beating the shit out of them :D

bobdillan

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2016
P.S. almost forgot, should I do purely 2D art? or 2D imposed on 3D like some of Mike Inel/Manyakiss's stuff (bear in mind I have no idea how hard this type of thing is and might ditch it entirely if every way I try turns out to be aids, but in theory it should be easier than drawing everything from scratch, but would limit le change in form for creativity... although considering my skill level that would be a good thing)

Example:

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Well at least you are still alive, thanks for the update :D
as for 3D vs 2D at least how it sounds like you are describing, feel free to waste some time having fun and experiment, I'm still trying to see if I want to use 3D as a base for 2D drawings or if I should do purely 2D instead.

Reactions: Loki3000

bobdillan

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2016
In the end the story did not have a happy ending
Yup... sadly.

At this point, if anything was ever made, it would pretty much be a new project in of itself.

Real life likes to get in the way of interesting plans. :HideThePain:

Roding

Jan 16, 2018
Yup... sadly.

At this point, if anything was ever made, it would pretty much be a new project in of itself.

Real life likes to get in the way of interesting plans. :HideThePain:
so hows the project coming along? By this post i can assume that its dead? The thread has been dead for quite some time after all so i dont know much

bobdillan

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2016
so hows the project coming along? By this post i can assume that its dead? The thread has been dead for quite some time after all so i dont know much
100% dead, not gonna give people hope for it.
If it happens it happens (but it won't). But as of now, she's dead jim.

Not gonna go and give false hope, cause well I am less naive than i was when I first made a post here, and I know all the work that I would have to do just to get a first build, and I simply don't have the time. (Let alone completing it).