Daz Blender use daz clothing asset on Blender model?

miamid99

Nov 4, 2019
Pretty much as the title says...

I have a Daz to Blender workflow, where I get my models from Daz, dress them up (or not..), eventually use a base pose, and then transfer everything to Blender where I do all my lights, shading etc...
I've recently found models on Blender that I really like (and I find posing infinitely better on Blender) so I'd like to have a go at them. And I would like to use some of my Daz clothing, but I have no idea how to go about it.
I have tried importing the body mesh as an .obj from blender to load it in Daz with morph loader but I get an error (I don't really know what I'm doing.)
I have also thought of simply exporting only the clothes from Daz to Blender (Diffeomorphic) but I have no clue how to fit the clothing to the model (except manually but God please no...) and I'm sure this must not be the right way.

I'm sure someone here as a similar workflow, and has done this in the past.
how do you do it?

Note that all I know, I've learnt on my own, and most of my workflow is not knowing how to do something and finding a way around it or a quick fix... please keep that in mind when providing an answer, I'm really no expert ^^

thanks in advance

rhorn

Nov 22, 2017
not sure if there is a better way, but i would import clothes from daz to blender with diffo on a base model similar to the one you are going to use.
then in blender remove the base model, import your other model, adjust as needed an then use a cloth simulation to make it fit.
gl

Reactions: miamid99

miamid99

Nov 4, 2019
not sure if there is a better way, but i would import clothes from daz to blender with diffo on a base model similar to the one you are going to use.
then in blender remove the base model, import your other model, adjust as needed an then use a cloth simulation to make it fit.
gl
This was my first idea, but then I'm confused as to how i would pose the model. I assume the clothes won't fit properly as i move my model's limbs around. and if I pose in Daz, then how do I fit the posed clothes to the model then...?
I suppose I could copy and paste the pose to the blender model, and then apply posed clothing to an already posed model, but that seems overly complicated, and I'm not even sure if I would know how to since the rigs are different.

my guess was that there is a tool or something out there to do this, but my googling didn't bring much...

rhorn

Nov 22, 2017
you have to parent to the armature and apply weights, here a simple tutorial:

Reactions: miamid99

miamid99

Nov 4, 2019
you have to parent to the armature and apply weights, here a simple tutorial:
I do remember trying to pay around with that when I first started Blender (to no convincing results). I had no idea what I was doing at the time though.
I will have a go, thank you very much for your reply!

Reactions: rhorn

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
It's pretty easy if the Blender character is in the same T-pose as DAZ characters. Just export the clothing fitted to the base DAZ model in anyway you want.

In Blender scale it to the character, then go into sculp mode and using the grab tool, move the clothing so it fits the character. Even with 0 sculpting experience you should get the hang of this fairly quick.

For rigging you link it to the armature with empty weights, and then copy the weight painting of the body to your clothing. This works well for clothing that follows the body nicely like shirts, and pants, but might require some additional tuning when posing skirts or dresses. Just look up a tutorial about how to copy weight painting from one mesh to another for specifics.

If the Blender mesh is in a different post it gets a bit more challenging. You can try putting the base DAZ character in the same pose ad the Blender one before fitting the clothing and doing the steps above.