Use of f95's assets

Trollhammer

Jan 13, 2020
Long time user, first time poster.

So, I've been using this site for a while now and I want to throw my proverbial hat into the ring as well and try my hands on making a vn. After some research, I found that Daz seems to be the most, logical choice for the graphics. I do know a bit about 3d rendering but Daz seems so simple to use, and I do love when stuff is simple to use heh. I do wonder though, the assets I've downloaded from this forum, are there any issues using them? Ban from the official daz site? Renderotica and similar asset sites getting pissy? What about monetization and using these assets? I do use different aliases on all of them though, but I have my real name registered on the Daz site.

So in other words, should I bite the bullet and buy a few assets from the official sources or can I get by using the ones I got from here for a while? Tried to search for an answer, but as usual when I have a question for the interwebs, every answer I find is deliciously vague.

Thanks in advance.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
well you are no long time user you haven't been here even one year

here is your answer

if you are making money on those assets in a game/comic or video then pay for them.
if you are not make money on it then, use it but it also depends on your country copyright laws.
there is always a risk for using shared assets. You can be sued if they find out who you are.

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
there is always a risk for using shared assets. You can be sued if they find out who you are.
If someone is not totally stupid, the chance is close to 0. If DaZ employees find your game and ask you for proof of purchase, you have absolutely zero obligation to answer them. If your DaZ identity is different from the developer identity, they have no way of putting the two identities together, unless you leak the connection yourself. They may try to contact Patreon, but Patreon has no right to provide them with that information.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
If someone is not totally stupid, the chance is close to 0. If DaZ employees find your game and ask you for proof of purchase, you have absolutely zero obligation to answer them. If your DaZ identity is different from the developer identity, they have no way of putting the two identities together, unless you leak the connection yourself. They may try to contact Patreon, but Patreon has no right to provide them with that information.
I guess that you didn't see that "if" in that sentence

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
I guess that you didn't see that "if" in that sentence
I have seen it. But I still don't think there's a way to find out if the developer doesn't tell them.
If there is a risk associated with an absolutely unrealistic condition, then the risk is non-existent.

Silvsilv

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2017
Are you sure about that?
Seems reasonable that Patreon would indulge a Daz request if you don't write them back/ignore them. Licensing is no joke.
Edit: I don't know anything, though.

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
Are you sure about that?
Seems reasonable that Patreon would indulge a Daz request if you don't write them back/ignore them. Licensing is no joke.
Edit: I don't know anything, though.

Well, if DaZ doesn't know what DaZ identity you use for your Patreon Identity, they can try to contact DaZ that they suspect they are using unlicensed products. But suspicion does not mean proof.
If Patreon passes information about you to a third party, Patreon may be in trouble for violating personal data protection rules.
In addition, in order to use those renders, you do not need to have a license to the Daz assets that were used to create those renders. You could have hired someone else to create the renders for you, and there may be contractual obligations that prohibit you from revealing his identity.

But of course, using DaZ assets directly in an interactive 3D game is something other than renders.

Last edited:

Silvsilv

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2017
If Patreon passes information about you to a third party, Patreon may be in trouble for violating personal data protection rules.
I'm obviously not too well versed with the law (And hence currently have no intention to risk anything), but since Patreon earns money through me, it seems they should have enough reason to not open up themselves to problems with Dazs legal department. Considering they would profit through unlicensed content too. Or does it not work that way?

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
I'm obviously not too well versed with the law (And hence currently have no intention to risk anything), but since Patreon earns money through me, it seems they should have enough reason to not open up themselves to problems with Dazs legal department. Considering they would profit through unlicensed content too. Or does it not work that way?
Well, I think the only thing Patreon can do is ask you for proof that you're using the assets legally. And you can tell them you don't have a license for those assets because you hired a 3D artist to create the renders for you. Using DAZ assets directly in a Unity Engine game, for example, would of course be a completely different situation.

Silvsilv

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2017
And you can tell them you don't have a license for those assets because you hired a 3D artist to create the renders for you.
I'm pretty sure they would want the 3d artists information. If they don't have a license either, you would use illegal renders in your product and would have to remove them at the very least.

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
I'm pretty sure they would want the 3d artists information. If they don't have a license either, you would use illegal renders in your product and would have to remove them at the very least.
I don't think you have to give them information on who you hired. This is not their business. In addition, the artist has no contractual terms with Patreon.

Silvsilv

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2017
Well, true.

I am too uninformed and its only guessing on my part, so I am going to leave it at that.
Personally, I wouldn't risk it in the first place, but I wish everyone the best in their endeavours!

lazychicken

Apr 17, 2017
Seem like complicated with lawsuit at this rate between Daz and Patreon, OP. I suggest may be a try with Honey Select for model. Otherwise look into other website like kofi, subscribstar and even fanbox to earn some bucks to help.

Trollhammer

Jan 13, 2020
Thanks for all the replies. This is just me being curious. I have no plans to monetize anything, if ever, and this is far in the future anyway. Just downloaded it and I'm messing around with some tutorials now. I do love some of the storytelling in the vn's people have made. Some of it is very good and so different from the usual erotica most consume these days. Reminds me of the early days, before the internet, when you had to find stuff like that in magazines and books.

On other 3d modelling software, like Honey Select, nah I don't think so. I don't like anime or the anime style much and the vn's I've tried that have used those things, everything seems off to me and the penis model they use for that game is just horrendous. The storytelling might be good, and some are, but I'm not a fan of the models.

Besides, won't that introduce even more problems with copyright, since Illusion games are under the usual copyright laws games are under? I'm no purist when it comes to copyright issues and, well.. goods acquired on the great sea, but I try to be as legit as I can be these days.