Users reviews-Rating system.

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
I have never written a review but I usually read those of other users . Also the punctuation system is one of the first things we see in the games section.
I was reading some reviews of a game and I noticed that many of the users who rated the game don't have a single message in the forum.
Should the possibility of rating a game be limited to users with real activity?
I mean, currently it's very easy to create new accounts just to promote or review bomb a game.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017
There are some terrible games I enjoy a lot more than ones with the most favorable rating. Ratings, in my humble opinion, are an aggregate towards a popular perception of that game's performance and technicality rather than an individual's. There also issues with bought reviews and lower standards (review bombing) that can harm integrity. Nonetheless, limiting the flood gates reduces the trust of the populace and even may reduce activity in this site because of specific preferences and niches.

Reactions: telotelo

God3333

Mar 9, 2019
Hmm, perhaps what you could do is have the reviews from new accounts show up, but no count towards the weighted rating filter until they post X amount or account age is y old.

Also agree with person above, you can usually spot fake reviews so it's probably silly to implement a feature that would make it harder for others to review. People should be allowed to interact fully with the community.

gunderson

Aug 17, 2016
This feels like a solution looking for a problem, in the absence of evidence getting cited. What game/games do you think have highly misleading reviews as compared to how much that game's main audience might enjoy said game? Have you reported the games where review shenanigans are going on and have those reports fallen on deaf ears?

I'm certainly not going to pretend this has never happened. I seem to recall a certain Star Wars game trying to pull all sorts of shit, for example, but the dev got banned from here and (hopefully) that terrible game crashed and burned.

On the other hand, telling newer users they can't review games until they spend more time here (I'd say anything longer than two weeks is just excessive) might mean those newer users don't come back. That seems bad.

Reactions: Carrera

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
After a year since I started this thread I can say without a doubt that reviews here are useless like the ones in Metacritic and other sites.
Not only because the fake accounts thing, because I have seen users review bomb games because they hate one tag or just for the fun of it.