Ren'Py Using a border/frame around your images

The M.O.

Nov 27, 2020
I'm setting up presentation for my game and I've started thinking about having borders around the sides. I'm convinced It will smarten it up. Has anyone looked into this for their game? Have anyone seen borders in other peoples games than worked effectively?

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Hmm, I wrote a whole answer, then realised you specified borders, not black bars.

You could use permanent borders/frame, but most of the games that I've seen using a frame, had the UI integrated into it, all the buttons (journal, character,etc).

Some more info could help us give you more opinions, like, what engine/program, what theme (sci-fi, fantasy, etc), but in general I've seen borders with UI buttons on them.

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Alrght, well I definitly agree (in my opinion) that it can help your game's presentation if done right, and if it serves a purpose on top of that, it's even better (it's why if you integrate the UI buttons into it, it will help it work, even with players that don't like borders/full frames).

One thing those players may say is that "the borders/frame reduce the resolution/size of the renders" and they don't see it as an artistic decision. So it is to counter those players that the UI integration thing comes into play, while the dev still has his way ;)

As for implementing it into renpy, it can be done with the use of screens, on top of your renders.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I'm convinced It will smarten it up.
Then try and see if it's really the case.

Have anyone seen borders in other peoples games than worked effectively?
It's not a matter of other games, it only concern your game, with your concept, story and UI design. Does those borders fit with them all or not is the only question you have to answer.