Using Gimp And Cleaning Up PSD's

Kairos97

Apr 11, 2021
I guess this is the best place to post this question. I've had/noticed an issue when using PSD's from artists that often they are not 'clean' like the normal finished product. Colors overlap lines, muddled colors, etc. I'm specifically using some of Erogon's PSD's and wondering how I deal with this on my own end as I am not familiar with using GIMP at all.

Untitled.png

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
My best guess without looking at the actual PSD is that they're using some kind of effects that are native to Photoshop/Adobe and don't exist within GIMP, so GIMP is doing what it can to show what it's reading (so to speak). Do you get the same issue(s) with something like Photopea? Have you pirated Photoshop to see if you could get the same effect? Depending on the background they're over, they might not show, which is why the artist/dev let it slip. But what I'm seeing above isn't something any decent artist would let go through.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
This looks zoomed in quite a bit and some of the layers either look out of order or because layer group C #2 is turned off is why we're seeing the color fill issues. A PSD is a working, not a final, document - it's the artist's drawing board for whatever they are working on. Depending upon layer selections, etc many things will look different in the final product. I used to have shit everywhere in my files while I was designing for clients, but the final product is all they got. A PSD can also be a final document for clients, but it's usually a cleaned up copy of the working file.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
A PSD is a working, not a final, document [...]
For OP, in case it's not explicit enough, this imply that the layers aren't expected to be seen independently.

To this I'll add the transparency effect. It's not because a pixel have a color, that it doesn't also have an alpha channel defined at full transparency. By convenience GIMP will show you the color, but it doesn't mean that you'll see it when looking at the image outside of an "editing software".

Reactions: Count Morado