Using Honey Select Models

RexDaGod

Jun 8, 2017
So looking through a lot of the thread here I see lot of guide on using Daz 3D but I'm pretty big fan of the more anime model from the Illusion games. I was wondering if its possible to pull those model (or even use the Honey Select studio for animation) to make a VN in Ren'PY. I only ever downloaded character which are just images so that obviously can't be imported into Ren'Py.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction on getting started.

Also curious on what the legality of using model made through Honey Select is. Do I have rights to use those models I made as I wish or does Illusion have rights over them because I'm using their assets? Thanks for the help guys.

Katgza

Nov 4, 2016
ill suggest to wait a little longe for the Unlimited Version that is gonna be Release on March

Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
It still doesn't deal with the question of licensing, though. Illusion has stated that they're okay with it being used for Fan Art, but not for products; Patreon financed stuff is kinda a grey area in there, and if you're BB-level successful you're likely getting hammered. I'm using HS for initial art for my management sim / VN 'making movies'; it's pretty decent for a non-artist to get good art up and running, but it certainly provides an issue down-stream if I was to try to make money off it.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
One way to mitigate the issue of commercial products, and this is still grey area, is to make every release public. If you keep them behind a paywall you lose the high ground on the donation front.

Like I said, it's still a grey area, depending on the country and the judge you could still find yourself in court and losing, but you're covering your ass.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
The problem with covering your ass with a fig leaf is that it's not going to stop the ass-fucking if the other party really wants to :) But yeah; in 99% of the cases you'll never be successful enough to make enough money on this that Illusion will notice you. In the 1% of the cases where they DO notice you, their first response is a Cease & Desist letter (which you'd also get if you draw a comic of Mario enjoying Luigi in a non-fraternal way, so it's not really a big deal). At that point you can take it down, re-tool it with your own art (or start a new project) and carry on.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Also curious on what the legality of using model made through Honey Select is.
There was at least three discussions about this during the last months. For short :
It's illegal to use the models, but as long as you stick to snapshots from the studio, and so don't directly use their meshes, starting an international legal action against you don't worse it for Illusion. This while in the same time your game will be an ads for their product since the more the time pass, the more their games are just 3D studio with some interactive parts.

Reactions: inkyhorn and BubaJ

RexDaGod

Jun 8, 2017
There was at least three discussions about this during the last months. For short :
It's illegal to use the models, but as long as you stick to snapshots from the studio, and so don't directly use their meshes, starting an international legal action against you don't worse it for Illusion. This while in the same time your game will be an ads for their product since the more the time pass, the more their games are just 3D studio with some interactive parts.
So basically creating scene in studio take a picture and then use it in the game. I assume the same apply for animation except its just a video file or some sort. However don't like actually ripe the 3D model out and use it in that prospective like a 3D game or something?

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
So basically creating scene in studio take a picture and then use it in the game. I assume the same apply for animation except its just a video file or some sort. However don't like actually ripe the 3D model out and use it in that prospective like a 3D game or something?
Exactly. Like I said it's not really legal, but they never cared before and don't really have a reason to do it now. But the meshes/models, it's their own works and their full property.
Take a picture of a car, legally you don't have the right to use it, nor to earn money with it, but most of the time, the owner will not care. But don't expect that he'll still not care if you use the said car, even if it's just for a short ride... And it's the same here.

Reactions: inkyhorn and BubaJ

bitbuilder

Mar 12, 2018
Exactly. Like I said it's not really legal, but they never cared before and don't really have a reason to do it now. But the meshes/models, it's their own works and their full property.
Take a picture of a car, legally you don't have the right to use it, nor to earn money with it, but most of the time, the owner will not care. But don't expect that he'll still not care if you use the said car, even if it's just for a short ride... And it's the same here.
I know it's nit-picking, but your analogy of a car pic is faulty. If you take a picture, you own the rights to that picture, unless taking the picture was an illegal act (like where someone has "reasonable expectation of privacy" - like a locker room - or where you've agreed not to, like at a closed trade show).

However, I'd certainly agree that, since no-one else is getting sued for it, using Honey Select models for a project is unlikely to land you in court :p

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I know it's nit-picking, but your analogy of a car pic is faulty. If you take a picture, you own the rights to that picture, unless taking the picture was an illegal act (like where someone has "reasonable expectation of privacy" - like a locker room - or where you've agreed not to, like at a closed trade show).
You own the right on the picture, but not necessarily the right to use it, even less to earn money using it. It vary depending of the countries, but mostly if there's people, you need their authorization. And if there's a recognizable/notable building, or a monument, which is more than just random background, you also need the authorization of its owner. That's why, by example, google maps blur so many things, because the car don't stop every single second to get the authorization from every people involved.
It's not because you are the one who took the picture, that you have all the rights on it. You only have the right to use it for private purpose. There's fair use for monuments, letting you put on display on the net pictures you took during your vacancies, but if you start earning money doing this, you'll learn the hard way that even monuments have rights...

Balladiasm

Aug 16, 2017
I think Japan have some regulation regarding commercialization of fan stuff, IIRC the main point of the regulation is as long as you don't reach the limitation of income from the fan stuff, you safe as long as you also credit the IP Holder, also like above said, Japan industry in this case Illusion usually will not bother to sue small industry, it cost lot of money to do international lawsuit more than they can get from those, they not disney who sue everything that move and using their IP . So yeah, if you are fledgling game developer ,just want to make name and having some portfolio, it pretty save (with some limitation) to use Honey Select art as long as you also credit illusion in your credit scene, when you get enough money,already have big portfolio,and want to reach higher level of income better use other source of Art

For example,look at the previous Lab Rats game, when Vrengames still a small developer, they are pretty much safe from Illusion meddling on their game, because it will not worth it for illusion

zonered

May 17, 2018
all secondary using is prohibited by illusion.watch illusion official site.
use 3d custom girl XP.