HTML Variables for images and videos using Twine

Jan 3, 2021
I'm working on a dating game (with extremely limited Twine knowledge ) where I want videos and images to appear depending on the girl currently on a date. Variables are set with $date.name and $date.lastname.

I want to use folder paths like the following
girls/FirstnameLastName/video1.mp4

However I can only display media from the first folder using

[img["girls/"+$date.name + "dinner.jpg"]]

<video src="girls/dance.mp4" width="800" autoplay loop muted></video>

and have unsure how to write code to move past the first folder. I have tried using the paths girls/Firstname and girls/Firstname LastName using incorrect code and can't find any info on how to do this.

Bad code used:
[img["girls/"+$date.name/+$date.name + "facial.jpg"]]

<video src="fake/"+$date.name/+$date.name + "facial.mp4" width="800" autoplay loop muted></video>

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nagozo

Sep 30, 2017
If I'm understanding your issue correctly, you want to use a video which is located two folders 'deep', right?
In that case, your code isn't far off. You just need the separator / before the file's name, to indicate that it's in a deeper folder.

For example (notice the / before the video's name):
_pathname = "girls/" + $date.name + $date.lastname + "/video1.mp4"
In general, you want your pathname to be a string of the format topFolder/folder2/.../lastFolder/file.ext

Jan 3, 2021
This is seriously bugging me. I've gotten images to load but not videos. I'm using the line below and that's the result displayed instead of the video.

<video src="girls/" + $date.name + $date.lastname + "/strip.mp4" width="800" autoplay loop muted></video>

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
This is seriously bugging me. I've gotten images to load but not videos. I'm using the line below and that's the result displayed instead of the video.

<video src="girls/" + $date.name + $date.lastname + "/strip.mp4" width="800" autoplay loop muted></video>
Try this:
Code:
<video width="800" autoplay loop muted>
    <source src="girls/" + $date.name + $date.lastname + "/strip.mp4" type="video/mp4">
</video>

guest1492

Apr 28, 2018
If you intend to set inline attributes of HTML elements using variables, you need to use .

Jan 3, 2021
No, that doesn't work. There's a blank space the size of the video but when I open it in a new tab, it shows me background.jpg

These are the pats I'm trying to use:
girls/FirstnameLastname/video.mp4
or
girls/Firstname/video.mp4

Images work with those paths, I jus't cant figure out the code for videos. Typing the video url in the browser works BTW.

Try this:
Code:
    <source src="girls/" + $date.name + $date.lastname + "/strip.mp4" type="video/mp4">
</video>

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
No, that doesn't work. There's a blank space the size of the video but when I open it in a new tab, it shows me background.jpg

These are the pats I'm trying to use:
girls/FirstnameLastname/video.mp4
or
girls/Firstname/video.mp4

Images work with those paths, I jus't cant figure out the code for videos. Typing the video url in the browser works BTW.
Yeah, I didn't account for variables in the path. Something like this should work:
Code:
<<set _vidpath = "girls/" + $date.name + $date.lastname + "/strip.mp4">>
    <source @src=_vidpath type="video/mp4">
</video>
But it's easier to make a widget that takes care of it than having to type all that every time.

PTSdev

Oct 21, 2019
Widgets are really easy to use. Here's a very simple video display widget based on the code above:

<<widget "showvid">>
<<set _vidpath = "girls/" + _args[0] + _args[1] + "/" + _args[2] + ".mp4">>
</video>
<</widget>>

The arguments are:
_args[0] = $date.name
_args[1] = $date.lastname
_args[2] = name of the video file

You call the widget like this:
<<showvid "Laura" "Miller" "strip">>

You can also call it by using the variable names:
<<showvid $date.name $date.lastname "strip">>

Theoretically, you can simplify the thing if $date.name and $date.lastname are always present:
<<widget "showvid">>
<<set _vidpath = "girls/" + $date.name + $date.lastname + "/" + _args[0] + ".mp4">>
</video>
<</widget>>

Calling it:
<<showvid "strip">>

Imho, it's great for the UX if you add some settings for videos. Look up the Settings API documentation for Sugarcube. Some people prefer muted videos, others want sound. You can add a settings toggle in your JavaScript section and an if statement in the video widget.

Reactions: Alcahest