Daz Very quick question about picking the right skin for a tough weathered female sailor [SOLVED]

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Hello, I was going to do a couple of renders of a throwaway character (she has 2-3 stills before disappearing from the story) but when I sat in front of my monitor I realized I have absolutely no idea about which texture skin use for her. I'm not doing close-ups and my computer won't approve HD details.
The settings is low-fantasy and she is described as:

"On the westerner ship's gangway, I was stopped by a squattish woman with large, round eyes, skin that had the colour and texture of leather long forgotten in the sun and thick long black hair. She was wearing only knee-long breeches, an open leather vest that left her muscular chest bare, and a mean disposition."

The look I had in my head was mostly Pacific Islander, but it's the "leathery skin" part that's blocking me. I think I saw an African tribal woman somewhere that maybe I could use, but I can't remember her name.
Other than that, I guess I'll have to pump Roughness and Bump Map to stellar values.

Of course, this scene is the only one I miss before posting an update of the demo.

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Could also use a dirty skin shell and tone it down to make her look unkempt.
Good idea, I'll see if it'll help giving her the right look.

This, maybe? .
Yes, that's the one I remember seeing. Thanks, you're precious as ever!
Now, I'm not sure it'll do the trick, as the skin details are still a bit shallow for that distance, but it's well worth a try.
Currently I'm using Darcy 8.

Reactions: MissFortune

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Excenllent, Nakia did the trick.
My earlier experiment, with Darcy 8 fiddling a lot with bump, roughness and traslucency: FemaleSailor_blocking.png
She's way too hot for her role in the story and aside from her right arm looking dull, she doesn't seem that sun-weathered.

I loaded Nakia's skin and this is how it renders out of the box:
femsailor_blocking_Nakia.png
Much better! This is definitely a lady you don't want to mess with.
Just a bit too dark on my monitor.

I fiddled a bit with translucency and bump and now she's ready for gangway duty:
femsailor_blocking_v2.png

Reactions: Precox