Ren'Py Very weird grainy visuals [Please help]

Dvvalin

Apr 15, 2020
Hi,

I have this very weird grainy visuals for all the games I play. I haven't downloaded any compressed games/ or edited any settings so I don't know why it is like this. My previous laptop with Integrated Intel graphics use to play the games fine but my new laptop with a dedicated graphics card has this visual. Are there any settings I need to change for it to appear proper?

Attaching an image for reference.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
First of all, make sure that the game is actually running off your dedicated graphics card. Laptops with a dediated graphics card actually have two (Internal + dedicated), right click the app (exe of the game) and make sure to run it with your dedicated gpu.
If the issue still persists, try reinstalling or updating your gpu drivers.

Dvvalin

Apr 15, 2020
First of all, make sure that the game is actually running off your dedicated graphics card. Laptops with a dediated graphics card actually have two (Internal + dedicated), right click the app (exe of the game) and make sure to run it with your dedicated gpu.
If the issue still persists, try reinstalling or updating your gpu drivers.
Okay so I tried both the Integrated Graphics and the Dedicated Graphics for the VN. With the IG the game lags to the point it's unplayable but the visuals are slightly smoother, with the DG it's the same as the attached pictures but the game plays fine, no lag. I have a 3050ti.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Test another game (That's not made on Ren'Py), if they look fine, then follow this:
  1. Hold down Shift while starting Ren'Py, or press Shift+G once Ren'Py has started.
  2. From the "Graphics Acceleration" menu that appears, choose the renderer to use.
  3. Choose "Quit", then restart Ren'Py.
Try different renderers, and see if the issue is fixed.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Dvvalin