Want to start making Ren'py games and have decent knowledge about Python. Where should I start?

DirtyPants

Sep 16, 2022
So, I have been playing Ren'py games for like 3-4 years the past 2 months I have noticed that I keep asking myself "How are developers thinking about this story?", "How are they making this?" and all you know.
Been really interested in Ren'py development for the past 1 month but have been delaying it, today I thought you know what let's do this.
Okay, the main point- I have a decent knowledge of Python (functions, variables, strings, loops, and all) and want to start something in Ren'py. I don't have any knowledge about making games, like 0.
Oh, gods of F95 help me and guide me on how and from where I should start.

Thanks in advance :) (bro this smiley creeps me out for some reason)

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
So, I have been playing Ren'py games for like 3-4 years the past 2 months I have noticed that I keep asking myself "How are developers thinking about this story?", "How are they making this?" and all you know.
Been really interested in Ren'py development for the past 1 month but have been delaying it, today I thought you know what let's do this.
Okay, the main point- I have a decent knowledge of Python (functions, variables, strings, loops, and all) and want to start something in Ren'py. I don't have any knowledge about making games, like 0.
Oh, gods of F95 help me and guide me on how and from where I should start.

Thanks in advance :)
If you have decent knowledge of Python, here's the Ren'Py website to download the launcher and the quickstart: So you can learn how to code using their tutorial.

But that doesn't mean anything unless you have a story. Do you have that? Once you have at least a working outline or draft, you can code that in with space holder art. Then you'll need art for the game. Do you have that?

If you need people to help you with a story and art - Recruitment & Services - but make sure to read this first.

That should keep you busy for awhile.

Reactions: DirtyPants

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Start here: (or better yet, google "How to write a Game Design Document" or search why you need one), this is the very first step, even before deciding whose Game Engine to use.

DirtyPants

Sep 16, 2022
Start here: (or better yet, google "How to write a Game Design Document" or search why you need one), this is the very first step, even before deciding whose Game Engine to use.
Thanks for this, I will read some details and get back to you. if you don't mind ofc

Reactions: Winterfire

DirtyPants

Sep 16, 2022
If you have decent knowledge of Python, here's the Ren'Py website to download the launcher and the quickstart: So you can learn how to code using their tutorial.

But that doesn't mean anything unless you have a story. Do you have that? Once you have at least a working outline or draft, you can code that in with space holder art. Then you'll need art for the game. Do you have that?

If you need people to help you with a story and art - Recruitment & Services - but make sure to read this first.

That should keep you busy for awhile.
Thanks for the info, I have a starting and an ending in mind but gotta work on the middle part ( is that weird? idk )
I will read all the details and get back to you, if you don't mind : )

MouthOfMind

Oct 14, 2022
A good tool you can use, specially if you plan on branching your story out depending on player choices and what not. Look up Articy they have a free version you can try but I think it's a great tool to help manage branching stories.

Depending on the things you want to do in your story, getting started actually coding in Ren'py is pretty simple and straight forward, you should pick it up in no time.

DirtyPants

Sep 16, 2022
Hey, sorry to disturb you. Have a question which I think is pretty obvious but oh well
So like can I use copyrighted music for games?
Also, can I use music used by other game developers in their games? For example, let's take Loving Loud in Being a DIK, can I use it or I am gonna get screwed?

MouthOfMind

Oct 14, 2022
I would stay clear from Copyrighted Music as you could get a cease & desist letter, from the person who made the music. Specially if you want to try to make money from your game either by selling it on Steam or just collection donations.
If I was you just look up copyright free / royalty free music to put into your game.

DirtyPants

Sep 16, 2022
I would stay clear from Copyrighted Music as you could get a cease & desist letter, from the person who made the music. Specially if you want to try to make money from your game either by selling it on Steam or just collection donations.
If I was you just look up copyright free / royalty free music to put into your game.
Okay, thanks for the info bro. You really helped me getting some basics down : )

Reactions: MouthOfMind