Want to try and make a game

gunsages

Feb 25, 2021
Recently learned how to code in renpy (first time ever doing any type of coding)

I was wondering if there are any sites where I could get 2d models for free that I could modify a bit. I just suck at drawing models from scratch.

Or should i try my hand at learning to make 3d models? which would be easiest?

Carrera

Jun 25, 2017
You can used Dazed for free and have a decent amount of content also free with the base software just to learn to use it. You can "acquire" 3d modeling software pretty much everywhere now days, and there are TONS of tutorials on youtube on how to use them. As for 2d stuff, you could do like the good girl gone bad route and find pics that suit your needs and put a bunch of filters on the image to make them look cartoon-"ish" and use them that way.

Hell or just flatly use the pics, many don't bother to do anything at all just slap some pictures down that sorta fit the scene and call it good.

Word of advice though, don't be stupid and try to charge money on a project where you use someone elses copyrighted images.

Oh and good luck, seriously, I always come off like a bitch but I genuinely do wish people the best with the projects. It's just that there are to many that really should pick a new line of hobbies.

Reactions: gunsages

gunsages

Feb 25, 2021
You can used Dazed for free and have a decent amount of content also free with the base software just to learn to use it. You can "acquire" 3d modeling software pretty much everywhere now days, and there are TONS of tutorials on youtube on how to use them. As for 2d stuff, you could do like the good girl gone bad route and find pics that suit your needs and put a bunch of filters on the image to make them look cartoon-"ish" and use them that way.

Hell or just flatly use the pics, many don't bother to do anything at all just slap some pictures down that sorta fit the scene and call it good.

Word of advice though, don't be stupid and try to charge money on a project where you use someone elses copyrighted images.

Oh and good luck, seriously, I always come off like a bitch but I genuinely do wish people the best with the projects. It's just that there are to many that really should pick a new line of hobbies.
Yeah thanks ill try those. thanks lol, and yeah wont charge money for the stuff ill make.
the idea with taking pics and making them look drawn is really good. ill try that!

Last edited:

Pururun

Jun 21, 2020
If you're prepared to learn, you could try 2D by taking 3D models (such as through Design Doll) to get the proportions right and then just drawing using those, and you can learn the proportions over time by doing that a lot.
If you want to make 3D by your own modelling, you still want to have an idea of how to do 2D since you'd usually get a 2D draft and then model based on the 2D draft.

So yeah, the other suggestions in the thread are more realistic if you aren't planning to put a year of study in.

Reactions: gunsages