Wanting to put my own games out there, though they are abandoned…

HB38

Oct 3, 2017
So I have two Ren'py projects that I worked on back in in 2014-2016 that I've decided I'd like to put out there in case anyone has any interest in maybe taking some of the ideas and incorporating them into their own project. The first was a rebuild of an old flash game "Robozou" while the second (and more interesting, if I say so) was a rogue like game where the goal was going to be to knock up 30 women in a month -- it had random character generation, fertility trackers, etc. The latter in particular I'd like to see someone run with the idea, and I figured there were enough good ideas that someone may come up with something from it (I may also return to it some day; hard to say).

I'm asking because it seems kind of silly for me to create a "game request" thread for something I made myself -- but if that's the way it should be don't have an issue doing so (I would like to make sure the design docs go with the post though; as I only implemented like 1/10th of the planned content). I've attached some screenshots of the Rogue like as well, because why not?

HB38

Oct 3, 2017
I have insufficient privileges to post there - I couldn't see anything that mentioned a minimum number of posts there so I figured only specific people could post games? It's unclear in the posting rules.

Jon_Sleeper

Nov 14, 2018
Maybe take a look here
edit: and I think the minimum number posts is 3.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I have insufficient privileges to post there - I couldn't see anything that mentioned a minimum number of posts there so I figured only specific people could post games? It's unclear in the posting rules.
I believe you need to follow the template found at the bottom of the - uploading a game rules. linked above
Make a different thread for each game.
Post the filled in template, in Game requests, and someone with privileges will assist in moving it to games.

I don't mean to pry into your personal reasons for abandoning the games, I just want to say good luck.
Once you've uploaded a game, maybe feedback from others will encourage you to work on it more.

Reactions: MrBree

HB38

Oct 3, 2017
I believe you need to follow the template found at the bottom of the - uploading a game rules. linked above
Make a different thread for each game.
Post the filled in template, in Game requests, and someone with privileges will assist in moving it to games.

I don't mean to pry into your personal reasons for abandoning the games, I just want to say good luck.
Once you've uploaded a game, maybe feedback from others will encourage you to work on it more.
Yeah; I gather the template - I even started filling it out before I realized I had no "submit a thread" button… and then I saw the attached text:

Elvishious

Afterglow Developer
Game Developer
Mar 9, 2018
So I have two Ren'py projects that I worked on back in in 2014-2016 that I've decided I'd like to put out there in case anyone has any interest in maybe taking some of the ideas and incorporating them into their own project. The first was a rebuild of an old flash game "Robozou" while the second (and more interesting, if I say so) was a rogue like game where the goal was going to be to knock up 30 women in a month -- it had random character generation, fertility trackers, etc. The latter in particular I'd like to see someone run with the idea, and I figured there were enough good ideas that someone may come up with something from it (I may also return to it some day; hard to say).

I'm asking because it seems kind of silly for me to create a "game request" thread for something I made myself -- but if that's the way it should be don't have an issue doing so (I would like to make sure the design docs go with the post though; as I only implemented like 1/10th of the planned content). I've attached some screenshots of the Rogue like as well, because why not?
Even if you've made it, you will need a privilege for that. What you can do is make a Request here:

Only a few people are allowed to post downloadable content, in order to moderate what is post on the site. It would be a hell if not.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
On the moving threads thing.

You'll want to post up your game thread here in this forum (with download links and following the template), then you'll need to reach out to a moderator or uploader, who will have the necessary privileges to move your thread into the game section.

Once the thread is moved, you should still have editing rights to the OP.

Also, there are rules about multiple mirrors for uploads and such, so hopefully the moderator or uploader in question can help you with this requirement, by uploading your files to a variety of servers/services.

As for someone else taking over your game, this is probably as good a place as any to post about that. Most people interested in games usually just want to work on their own games, or mod someone elses, but sometimes someone might be willing to take over an old project. I'm saying that it might be a long shot, but if you provide the original files at least, other people can play your abandoned games at least in the meantime.

HB38

Oct 3, 2017
On the moving threads thing.

You'll want to post up your game thread here in this forum (with download links and following the template), then you'll need to reach out to a moderator or uploader, who will have the necessary privileges to move your thread into the game section.

Once the thread is moved, you should still have editing rights to the OP.

Also, there are rules about multiple mirrors for uploads and such, so hopefully the moderator or uploader in question can help you with this requirement, by uploading your files to a variety of servers/services.

As for someone else taking over your game, this is probably as good a place as any to post about that. Most people interested in games usually just want to work on their own games, or mod someone elses, but sometimes someone might be willing to take over an old project. I'm saying that it might be a long shot, but if you provide the original files at least, other people can play your abandoned games at least in the meantime.
It's less taking over and more providing it as a possible spring board for others -- games tend to be a thing where people take ideas from here and there and implement them into their own game (I totally cribbed the penetration mechanic from Virgin Protection Magic in this case; though reversed it). I want to throw it out there more of "here's a nugget of a few interesting game ideas; feel free to take what you want and run with it" sort of deal.

I'll create a new post here with the template shortly; thanks for the info OhWee.