VN Ren'Py Warlord - developing a low-budget VN

Should I continue developing this?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deepglugs

Game Developer
Feb 1, 2018
I wrote a low-budget (in terms of time spent developing) visual novel demo I am calling "Warlord". It's the story of a dude who becomes a warlord and might have two branches: lust or chaos.

It makes heavy use of several AI tools used in concert with blender for effects and renders that can't yet be achieved with AI tools alone. Using these tools allows me to produce the VN rather cheaply, but at the expense of style consistency and quantity of visuals. It's mostly just dialog/narration against simple animated/still images. I save most of the effort for the sexy animations.

I'll only continue developing it if there's interest in it, so if you try it and it's interesting, let me know. Cheers!

cassandra_intro_1_0001.png
View attachment forest.webp
eisheth_warlord_h_scene_1.png

Reactions: osanaiko

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Please take these comments as coming from a place of love, it's supposed to be constructive criticism:

You're not going to get a lot of people noticing your game posting in here, especially if you downplay it so much.

"Low budget", "cheap", "I'll only continue... if there is interest". It's like you don't even care about it.

If you do care, then keep working and keep improving your skills and the quality of the output. Do it for yourself - it's pretty much guaranteed no-one else will notice it within the sea of v0.1 games unless you distinguish yourself somehow:

- promote the fact you're using AI tools for rapid dev, talk about the learnings from that
- promote that this means you can progress faster than others so there won't be so long between releases (if that is true :sneaky:)
- invest your efforts to make it *interesting* - zero in on some specific extra lewd kink, or choices with consequences, or lots of content, etc etc

Build a track record of releases, get it posted in the games release thread, get positive feedback and reviews. that's how you grind your way to "success" on f95.

Some games with months of history and ratings >4.5 stars still only have pXXtreon revenues of a few $x00 dollars. it's a long road if you are doing it for the money.

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
While it's perfectly true that by posting in this section you won't get meaningful feedback, I'm quite curious about the AI tools you're using, as it's something that we are currently investigating with my partners.
Do you use an AI to write story and dialogues too?

deepglugs

Game Developer
Feb 1, 2018
While it's perfectly true that by posting in this section you won't get meaningful feedback, I'm quite curious about the AI tools you're using, as it's something that we are currently investigating with my partners.
Do you use an AI to write story and dialogues too?
Using stable diffusion mostly but also 3d-photo-inpainting and probably in the future ai frame interpolation. Not using anything to generate dialog at the moment, but I have experimented with GPT2 in the past. I just don't think you can get a long-form story with traditional character arcs out of AI at the moment.

I can go in more detail if you'd like. Almost every image in the demo has some AI in it -even the "rendered"-looking ones.

deepglugs

Game Developer
Feb 1, 2018
Please take these comments as coming from a place of love, it's supposed to be constructive criticism:

You're not going to get a lot of people noticing your game posting in here, especially if you downplay it so much.

"Low budget", "cheap", "I'll only continue... if there is interest". It's like you don't even care about it.
You are right. I don't want to sound like I don't care, it's just I do have other commitments (already working on a more demanding game). I'm not exactly a new dev. I do have one completed title that I've made releases on almost weekly for 1.5 years. You are absolutely right about consistency attracting "fans". I appreciate the feedback anyway, though.

I just wanted to see if I could make something a little less demanding that was still somewhat attractive.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Ezra and osanaiko

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
OK, I played the game up to the first fight against the soldiers.
I'm afraid I've to report that the story failed to catch my interest, but I urge you to ignore this negative feedback as I don't think my tastes are representative of the average AVN player.
In general, I'm not personally interested in playing the story of a deeply wounded character that does a deal with the devil to get back at his enemies. The part where the MC's whole world is destroyed is supposed to be deeply touching and emotional, but it's so overused that for me it ended being just .
Parents killed, farm burned... We have been there too many times for getting truly involved. I should know: I wrote not one but two near-identical scenes for the game I'm developing.
It doesn't help that the enemies are faceless monsters without any backstory. They're just generic, cartoonish evil bastards, and I don't know about others, but this definitely broke my immersion to the point I stopped playing before seeing if the fight mechanics/narrative were satisfying (it didn't help the "blind them throwing dirt in their eyes" trick when they were shown wearing full helms).

Enough ranting about the story. As I said, you shouldn't be concerned about my opinion over that. Let's talk about the art, instead.

+ In general, I don't mind the AI-generated backgrounds at all. But I know for a fact that some players are going to be put off from rendered sprites over "artsy" backgrounds.
- The fact that large slabs of the VN show only the background, at most having a "talking head"/side image, is definitely not a plus.
+ The use of HS (or whatever it is) for your base renders is way too subjective for me to comment about. (Meaning that I hate HS renders, but many like them, so let's move on.)
- The models and the backgrounds being disjointed is a huge issue and my personal opinion is that you should face it, or you'll end up abandoning the project at a later stage. I see that you already played with Stable Diffusion to give your character renders a similar style to the other pictures like in the dead mother's scene. As I don't believe you can do a half-decent game without much more integration of characters and background, I think you should spend more time creating similar scenes for the early game.
+ Animations: frankly I don't give a rat ass about them, but it seems like it's a deal-breaker for many commenters. I see that some backgrounds are animated, I guess to distract from the fact that there's nothing in the foreground. Maybe it works for others, but I'm afraid it doesn't for me.

On the petty side:
- As I often do, I played with the default name, which is "Warlord". It kind of breaks immersion, I suggest you to play with a different default name. As the sisters are called Cassandra and Alexandra, I see a theme that can be exploited. Names such as Leander, Achilles, Icaros and Menelaos strike me as appropriate enough, but you surely have better ideas.
- I believe the fact the MC is a young farmer should be more strongly hinted at, or even outright stated, in the very first lines or even before that.
- There are two animated backgrounds, just after you leave the with's hut, that have the wrong size, but I'm sure you already caught that.
- Let's say all together no to game-over choices. If the MC just express pity for his mother as motivation, instead of killing him, the succubus could, after a scornful and disgusted retort, dig into his soul and force him to admit that, actually, he's lying and he's after revenge.

I thank you for your offer to explain more in detail. I'm actually interested, but in a detached, academic, half-assed way, as Stable Diffusion is not a path I can walk with my 10-yo PC (2GB VRAM). One of my partners is toying with it, but I'm generally left out of the loop as I'm a different branch (and way too grumpy anyway). as I'm playing a lot with Stable diffusion, after discovering that it runs no-prob even on my 10yo computer, and I'm currently using it for the placeholder art of my own VN.

Suggestions for an overview text:
"A young farmer is living a quiet, hard life with his caretaker and two beautiful childhood friends (relationships can be changed) when an accident leaves him bedridden and dying. The same day, war breaks on the farm, as a band of enraged soldiers attacks it. EDIT [copy-paste disfunction, sorry] A dark spell will bring the protagonist back, but left with nothing but rage and a hunger for revenge he will start to wage war against the monsters that took everything from him."

Last edited:
Reactions: deepglugs
Oct 22, 2022

If you do care, then keep working and keep improving your skills and the quality of the output. Do it for yourself - it's pretty much guaranteed no-one else will notice it within the sea of v0.1 games unless you distinguish yourself somehow:
this is such good advice not just for games, but for life. if you don't believe in yourself, why would anyone else? you have some good ideas here, don't be so hard on yourself or others will join in!