Warning older winrar exploited malware problems

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
Nasty WinRAR bug is being actively exploited to install hard-to-detect malware

WINRAR Actively exploited to Install Hard-to-detect malware
Because a lot of us use programs to zip our files, I thought I would share this. According to a lot of technical information websites, a bug in older versions of winrar is allowing hackers to install malware.

Be careful when downloading TORRENT files especially (anyway?) because this platform is also targeted.

the gist of the article is update your version of winrar to the latest version 5.7

alternately, you can also use

Always keep both up to date if you use them, which most VN/games here do.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Old versions of winrar, can't open, or fail to recognize some files in newer archives. Half the time it doesn't properly warn you that it failed, and that there are files missing. Many reasons you should update to the latest version.

Reactions: Namco15

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
From what I read the problem was an old module used in older versions of WinRAR to extract ACE archives for which the WinRAR team does not have the source code. So to fix it they removed that module from the new version so it can't extract ACE archives anymore. I use 7zip anyway but the new version of winRAR should be fine as well I think. Infected ACE archives just won't open using the new version.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017

After being caught ranting "I hate Americans" and committing biological terrorism (contaminating donuts in a bakery shop)
Ariana grande strikes again...
hqdefault.jpg