webm and mp4 issues

anonjoe

Sep 29, 2020
So I download a lot of the HTML games on the site. A lot of them use a lot of webm/mp4/gif files for their videos. In probably most of them, a few of those files here and there (around 5% of the files) will have some kind of weird error. It'll play the file, but the best way I can think of to put this, is it will break down the image into dozens of small rectangles, and then mix them up before playing them. The video plays, as far as I can tell it is the right length, but the mixed up rectangles makes it hard to get a clear image of any kind.

I think this might be some kind of download or extraction issue, but I'm just not sure. If my description of the issue isn't enough, I'll see if I can find one of the files that looks like it, and try to post an image of it.

I'd google the answer, but I'm not sure how to describe the issue without getting a million irrelevant results, and I'm not sure where the issue is, because so far, I haven't noticed the same thing on any of the Ren'py or RPGM games I've tried. I've also never seen it on any jpg or png files either, only the video formats.

Edit: Ended up finding an image a lot faster than I thought I would. Untitled.png

Last edited:

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
You could be missing video codecs, so try downloading to see if it installs what you are missing.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
If the problematic files are webm (right click on them to open in new window/tab to see the name of the video if you're using windows), though rare these days, it could be that you're using a browser version that doesn't support it.

anonjoe

Sep 29, 2020
You could be missing video codecs, so try downloading to see if it installs what you are missing.
I think that worked. I already had VLC installed, but windows be windows and apparently doesn't ask to change the default anymore. I think I set it for browser too, so hopefully it works there too. Going to try one of the games that I know had some that had the issue on Chrome.