Ren'Py Weird frame before the start of the video

Scugnizzo

Feb 6, 2020
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to develope my first VN but i've encountered a problem... before and after i play a video as scene there is a weird checkered frame that appears for a millisecond anyone knows what i did wrong?

This is the init:
image park = Movie(play="images/park.webm", size=(1280, 720), start_image="images/intro/scene9.png", image="images/intro/scene_p.png")

This is in the label:
pause 0.5
scene scene9
mt "Great..."

pause 1
scene park
pause(8)
scene scene_p

jump chapter1A

thank you for your time! :)

Scugnizzo

Feb 6, 2020
I've solved it by changing directly the size of the video and deleting "size=(1280, 720)".

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I've solved it by changing directly the size of the video and deleting "size=(1280, 720)".
No, you don't solved it. You just made Ren'Py spend less time having to deal with the size difference, what make the "checkered screen" being shown to quickly for you to notice it. But the issue is still here.

As said somewhere in Ren'Py doc, that you've surely read, the said "checkered screen" is the default background, and it's shown when there's nothing currently displayed on the screen. What is precisely what happen between the moment you ask Ren'Py to play the video, and the moment it can effectively starts it.
It's precisely the reason why the displayable have a start_image property and a image property. The first one being used before the movie can start, while the second will be used (among other cases) between the moment the movie end and the next scene or show statement.

It's using the two that would effectively solve your issue, and not achieve to hide its effect, at least for you because players with a slower computer would possibly see it, like you actually did.