Ren'Py Weird image size problem

Johor1

Nov 9, 2018
I have a situation in which three similar events can take place, just with different characters. So I got one working and just copied the code twice, changing the image directory, character and label names as appropriate.

The first two worked fine, but the third showed the images too large, even though the actual picture dimensions are exactly the same. It was as if Renpy (7.3.5) had scaled from window to full screen twice. After much faffing around, I eventually got the third set to display correctly by using "zoom 1.0".

So my questions are:

Do any of you Renpy experts have an idea how I managed to get the third set of pictures displayed too large?

Is there any way I can avoid this and not have to format each image with zoom 1.0?

Thanks in advance.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Do any of you Renpy experts have an idea how I managed to get the third set of pictures displayed too large?
How do you expect us to guess ? There's many way to achieve this, too to answer without knowing the code.

Is there any way I can avoid this and not have to format each image with zoom 1.0?
It's something that bother me. You need to specify Ren'py that it should display the image at its native size. What mean that somewhere before this, you told it to, starting now, display all images in a bigger size. With the said "starting now" being limited to this part of the code.

Search where you did such thing, and you'll found the cause of your error.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018

Nope.

Perhaps either cut and paste the code here, using [code] [/code] tags around your code.
If you go this route... you're going to be tempted to be selective in what you copy/paste to keep things short. Don't. Copy everything (or as much as possible). Invariably the problems tend to exist in the code people chose not to include when asking their questions.

Or upload your script.rpy file, by using the forum's [Attach files] button. Or the appropriate .rpy file(s) if you've used other names.

Either way, we'll probably need the original image files too. Either as forum inserted images or as attachments.

You're right in so much as it shouldn't behave that way.... which means you've done something different, and can't see it because... well... you can't see it.

My best guess right now... you've got two copies of the same image in two different folders or with two different file extensions. Something in your code is picking up the "wrong one" in your 3rd example that works just fine in the first two.

Last edited: