Weird Render Problem

143 others

Dec 1, 2020
I have been facing this render problem recently where when I switch on CPU and CPU fallback it just takes on forever and ever after 30 minutes its 0 percent rendered and the quality of that when I cancelled the render was super grainy but when I switch these settings of the render gets over in 10 seconds but the iray preview is black and white and the final render is just a pitch black screen.
I am using a 3070 laptop , maybe I am not allowing all my Gpu to be utilised for Daz 3d not sure but this problem makes it almost impossibe for me to render.

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
I have been facing this render problem recently where when I switch on CPU and CPU fallback it just takes on forever and ever after 30 minutes its 0 percent rendered and the quality of that when I cancelled the render was super grainy but when I switch these settings of the render gets over in 10 seconds but the iray preview is black and white and the final render is just a pitch black screen.
I am using a 3070 laptop , maybe I am not allowing all my Gpu to be utilised for Daz 3d not sure but this problem makes it almost impossibe for me to render.
This is because your scene has exceeded your GPU's VRAM.
It is not rendering on the GPU at all.
When you have CPU fallback turned on, when it fails to load to the GPU it will switch to rendering the scene on the CPU only, and is an order of magnitude slower than GPU rendering.
When you have CPU fallback turned off, when it fails to load to the GPU you get a black screen and it ends the rendering attempt.
You need to optimize your scene to fit on 8GB VRAM. This means hiding objects that are out of sight, reducing texture sizes, splitting the contents of the render into multiple renders that are spliced together in post, checking for rogue emissives, etc etc etc. There are lots of different ways to reduce your scene's VRAM footprint. It's a pain in the ass, but that's just the way of it when you're rendering with 8GB VRAM.
Disable CPU rendering entirely so you know when a scene fails to fit on VRAM. This will be your indication to optimize the scene.
I mentioned all of this the last time you asked about CPU/GPU rendering.

Also, don't forget to restart Daz frequently, to prevent memory leaks from failing/slowing your renders. You should ideally render once per Daz session, exit, and load it up again for the next render. You can use Render Queue to automate this process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mock1ngb1rd

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
This is because your scene has exceeded your GPU's VRAM.
It is not rendering on the GPU at all.
When you have CPU fallback turned on, when it fails to load to the GPU it will switch to rendering the scene on the CPU only, and is an order of magnitude slower than GPU rendering.
When you have CPU fallback turned off, when it fails to load to the GPU you get a black screen and it ends the rendering attempt.
You need to optimize your scene to fit on 8GB VRAM. This means hiding objects that are out of sight, reducing texture sizes, splitting the contents of the render into multiple renders that are spliced together in post, checking for rogue emissives, etc etc etc. There are lots of different ways to reduce your scene's VRAM footprint. It's a pain in the ass, but that's just the way of it when you're rendering with 8GB VRAM.
Disable CPU rendering entirely so you know when a scene fails to fit on VRAM. This will be your indication to optimize the scene.
I mentioned all of this the last time you asked about CPU/GPU rendering.

Also, don't forget to restart Daz frequently, to prevent memory leaks from failing/slowing your renders. You should ideally render once per Daz session, exit, and load it up again for the next render. You can use Render Queue to automate this process.
What also helps is restarting the PC and closing down background programs. Don't expect miracles but it saves a few MB's here and there that might just be enough.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
3070 laptop check the gpu temps it's properly overheating that's properly why you are getting a black screen

laptop are not that great for rendering regardless

they are not made for it

143 others

Dec 1, 2020
Ayy thanks for the advice lads removing all the unnecessary elements is working for me but lets say just in case I want to take a wide shot of different characters or crowd scene that would be just impossible for my laptop right?

felldude

Aug 26, 2017
Ayy thanks for the advice lads removing all the unnecessary elements is working for me but lets say just in case I want to take a wide shot of different characters or crowd scene that would be just impossible for my laptop right?
Turn the Subdivision to base/off if using multiple characters and wide angle

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
That's where splicing multiple renders comes in. Render once with a few characters turned off, then render again with the turned off characters back on and the first characters turned off, and then combine them in Photoshop/GIMP/whatever. I used to render on a 3070 and I had to frequently do that when I had more than 2 or sometimes 3 characters in view. You'll just have to get creative about how to arrange the shot so that you don't get issues with shadows making it obvious.

Large crowds are difficult no matter how much VRAM you have. I think I rendered about 10 characters in one shot recently on my 3090 (24GB VRAM). You can get around this slightly by instancing the crowd members, or you can use billboards (2D images of characters, but those aren't great), but generally speaking, large crowds will be spliced together.

Reactions: Mock1ngb1rd