What and Why do people hate on MTL

Lerd0

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
Machine Translation...and i don't hate it, i laugh at it.

May 8, 2017
It translates some things properly and others not so much. Also the grammar will usually not be proper. If you've ever read something that is fairly long (over 2000 words) then you will understand the disdain for MTL. Also some languages use words in names (English even does with with some last names like Smith and Cash for an example) which will then result in a name become words that make no sense and you'd have to realize that it was a name translated into words (In Mandarin Bai means White, Qing can mean green, black, azure... Hou can mean Time or Wait... So it can be tricky to discern which is the actual word to use when translating if it is a machine doing it.)

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
It translates some things properly and others not so much. Also the grammar will usually not be proper. If you've ever read something that is fairly long (over 2000 words) then you will understand the disdain for MTL. Also some languages use words in names (English even does with with some last names like Smith and Cash for an example) which will then result in a name become words that make no sense and you'd have to realize that it was a name translated into words (In Mandarin Bai means White, Qing can mean green, black, azure... Hou can mean Time or Wait... So it can be tricky to discern which is the actual word to use when translating if it is a machine doing it.)
Yeah... there are lots of games with a character called Mia... sometimes the name is written in capital letters (MIA)... and then machine translators know that, in English, MIA actually stands for Missing In Action, so that's what they translate...

They can be useful but you shouldn't expect an accuracy translation, results will be varying between a funny and a quite annoying one. Most people just want to get a slight idea of what's going on, though, so for them they usually work just fine

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
An example is reading a translated Russian game. For some reason it calls some sex acts/organs "Cancer", so you are fucking them right in the cancer... now I think most of us agree fuck cancer, but I don't want to fuck cancer.

As you can see this is both hilarious and stupid. Thus a reason why people hate MTL.

Reactions: Cryswar
Jun 13, 2020
MTL stands for Machine Translation, basically the game's translated using a machine.
I read it up somewhere in this site someone said because it's the easiest way to translate a game.

Most cases after the MTL it would be a mess or sometimes even ruin the code of the game (I don't know the detail about that since I've never translate a game before) so after the MTL some translators would edit the text once again (usually called edited MTL).

The problem I see lots of people have with MTL is when you can't understand what's going on at all especially when it comes to game that requires you to read, understand, and choose your choice.

So people often refers to playing MTL game as something like "poet time" since the translated texts are sometimes very random and TBH for me it changes the tone of the game to comedy, have you ever laugh while you masturbate?

cooldude33

Jun 1, 2017
As others have stated, MTL=Machine Translation. I don't mind MTLs that have been edited so the text can be at least somewhat coherent, and it will be stated in the thread if it's edited or not, but I don't get the point of just taking some text and pasting it through google translate if you won't bother to make it readable, nobody wants that shit and discourages legitimate translators because they'll see there's already a "translation" available.

Reactions: 12asdasdasd34

crm37151

Dec 22, 2018
For the kind of people who upload MTL it's not even about the game itself, they don't care about the game or else they would not have MTL'd it, they only care about forum likes. They quickly grab games from dlsite, run it through the translator and upload it with a big blue [Completed] tag on it. Mission accomplished, another game that will never be touched again by actual translators because it's already 'completed.'

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
The real problem with MTL is that threads for games that have it get spammed with MTL complaints/memes instead of actual game discussion.

Maybe those people would prefer if we had to go back to manually injecting a text hooker and linking it with a translation dictionary ourselves? Or maybe we should go back even further when you had to understand some of the language and stop to look things up all the time, either that or you don't play it at all.

Drunktard69

Jan 12, 2021
People need to start using DeepL for translations. It's not perfect, it costs, but way better than google translate.
It's actually a viable option.
The only issue I've had it's how they refer to genders and people.
Referring to females as "He" etc., but other than that, it's ok. Google translation can't even compare.