What are your biggest pet peeves in games?

Donho78

Dec 16, 2017
We all have our own preferred kinks and play style differences, more power to you. We also all have pet peeves, what are some of your biggest?

Visually: Tough call between 18" cocks, and games where the MC's face is constantly included in the scene, with 18" cocks coming out victorious. Where the Heart Is comes to mind as an example of MC anonymity done right. Honorable mention to male protagonists that look 12.

Mechanically: Biggest pet peeve here is no rollback and it's not even close. Honorable mention to a static MC name, not sure if that belongs under "Mechanically" be w/e, it annoys me.

UI: Sandbox games with no indication on the travel screen of npcs' current location and/or locations with available events at that time. Honorable mention to...I'll think of something and add it later.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJsaint

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Do I have to pick one? I will choose ones that aren't the same as yours but I agree with all of yours.

Visually: Developers who use the exact same assets as everyone else and don't even try to customize the characters, so we end up with clones of all the other games that came before.

Mechanically/gameplay: Not being able to choose who the MC fucks/mandatory love interests.

UI: the Hidden phone that you have to hover over to access. The icon isn't so large that it couldn't be there permanently or only hidden during sex scenes.

Reactions: Etheric and Donho78

IdleGuy

Aug 7, 2016
Oh boy:

Gravity being ignored
You see it way too often:​
- Hair does not fall down in relation to character's orientation​
- Boobs don't sag when the woman is lying on her back (forgivable if the woman is established to have fake tits)​
- Clothes clinging to the body even when they shouldn't.​
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I can forgive it in real-life rendered models since it's REALLY hard to do, but there's no real excuse except laziness in pre-rendered graphics (99% of games here)​
Boring font in boring windows
Plain white Arial font in a Ren'Py textbox just makes my eyes glaze over. I find it real hard to stay engaged with most games these days because the writing is rote (hello landlady), the English is all over the fucking place, the sentences are awkwardly structured and it's then punctuated by having the blandest font, in the blandest colour in the blandest form of exchange for dialogue imaginable. Just awful.​
---------------------------------

Other than the re-used environments, which I assume will be mentioned eventually. Also, for some reason, I just can't get interested in with HoneySelect models (the japanese ones).

Reactions: Donho78

TXhost

Oct 28, 2020
My biggest ones are if the models look disproportionate or the render quality is bad.
Also if the story is bland, difficult UI, insane mini games just to grind money or points, triggered events at specific time of day.

Reactions: kzaazul and Donho78

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Ero-content

Assuming the player wants to see sex scenes and making them unavoidable. That's usually okay for highly-focused games with very few characters, but I hate being blindsided with content I didn't ask for. If the sex is unavoidable and not part of the core premise of the game, I'm not going to be happy.

Gameplay

RNG in player actions. Procedural generation is fine, but player actions should be consistent. Don't make me gamble with my most basic abilities.

No gameplay, or only branching paths - I don't like to read for hours on end. Give me something to do every now and then, a chance to slow down and digest the developments in the story.

Visuals

Yeah, the tree-trunk dicks and FF boobs need to just stop. I seriously doubt most people have a fetish for those kinds of proportions, so why do game devs keep using them? Wouldn't it be better to have characters that look more relatable to the player?

Last edited:
Reactions: kzaazul and Donho78

chainedpanda

Jun 26, 2017
Visual:
Overly large tits. While I'm not a fan of massive dicks, in one of the complaint threads, a dev explained the need for them, as such I can forgive them a bit more now, still annoying though.

Mechanical:
Static MC names. This is annoying to me, and often a killer when trying new games. POV is also nice, but I can survive without it most of the time. Also, not a fan of phone/computer features outside of sandbox/"open world" games.

Gameplay:
Paths need more care and management. A game with no paths or choices are boring, but having too many, and locking content/characters behind set paths can be both annoying and daunting.

Another large complaint are games which claim __ is optional, but it really isn't. The content still happens, just the player doesn't see it, the characters act like it happens, the MC acts like it happens, it's brought up in conversations and the events/consequences surrounding it still occurs. Optional should be optional. If you want your game to focus on X, just focus on x. Don't waste everyone else's time with empty claims.

Sexual Content:
There doesn't need to be a sex scene every five minutes of gameplay, furthermore, not everyone is into every fetish. Let us decline more stuff without consequence. I forget what game it was, but I used to really enjoy it. Out of nowhere the dev added this really long scene where two girls of the harem force the MC to watch them bang. I generally am not into lesbian action, and really not into NTR.

Donho78

Dec 16, 2017
Visual:
Overly large tits. While I'm not a fan of massive dicks, in one of the complaint threads, a dev explained the need for them, as such I can forgive them a bit more now, still annoying though.

Mechanical:
Static MC names. This is annoying to me, and often a killer when trying new games. POV is also nice, but I can survive without it most of the time. Also, not a fan of phone/computer features outside of sandbox/"open world" games.

Gameplay:
Paths need more care and management. A game with no paths or choices are boring, but having too many, and locking content/characters behind set paths can be both annoying and daunting.

Another large complaint are games which claim __ is optional, but it really isn't. The content still happens, just the player doesn't see it, the characters act like it happens, the MC acts like it happens, it's brought up in conversations and the events/consequences surrounding it still occurs. Optional should be optional. If you want your game to focus on X, just focus on x. Don't waste everyone else's time with empty claims.

Sexual Content:
There doesn't need to be a sex scene every five minutes of gameplay, furthermore, not everyone is into every fetish. Let us decline more stuff without consequence. I forget what game it was, but I used to really enjoy it. Out of nowhere the dev added this really long scene where two girls of the harem force the MC to watch them bang. I generally am not into lesbian action, and really not into NTR.
I'm curious, what was the dev's reasoning behind needing 18" cocks?

Last edited:

chainedpanda

Jun 26, 2017
I'm curious, what was the dev's reasoning behind the needing 18" cocks?
Sadly, this was a while ago on a random thread. I don't remember that much. It had to do with technical reasons, like due to x or whatever, smaller penises are just harder to make look decent on whatever platform. Due to the fact you had to hide the dick in some specific way because there isn't an actual vagina in the modeling process to store the penis.

I really wish I remembered the phrasing, or even the exact post. I do remember the dev in question was one of the ones fairly active in the forums, so if were lucky they will see this and elaborate. Furthermore, I did believe them because they also didn't like massive schlongs and games and their own game had average (or well, realistic) dicks in their game.

Stretta

Nov 21, 2018
Black guys being relegated to players or thugs that are just there to corrupt good, white girls with their horse dicks.

Futa and trans ARE NOT THE SAME FUCKING THING

Having to grind some arbitrary number(s) just to get a female MC to look at a pp.

M2f transformations. I just don't like it. It's just a female protag that spends the whole game saying "but I'm not gh3y!!" while jumping every dick that enters eyeshot. Just an unnecessary extra step that takes me right tf out of it.

Bad ends and needing to lose to see the sexual content. Thankfully that's in the minority these days but I still get peeved when I see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrFriendly

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
Honorable mention to a static MC name.
Always wondered about some developers' obsession with dynamic MC name. You don't have it in books, movies, TV or other video games. Why is it so important in pr0n games?

Donho78

Dec 16, 2017
Always wondered about some developers' obsession with dynamic MC name. You don't have it in books, movies, TV or other video games. Why is it so important in pr0n games?
Put most simply, immersion. Also there really isn't an option for dynamic mc names in any of the mediums you mentioned other than mainstream video games. And many of those do allow you to name your character. Not to mention those mediums tell their stories almost exclusively from a 3rd person perspective. Almost all these games are from 1st person perspective.

Reactions: MrFriendly

OverBoob

Oct 7, 2020
My biggest pet peeve is definitely games with minimal branching. Sounds like an odd gripe but let me explain:
  • If a game has not branching paths, that's fine with me
  • If a game has lots of branching paths/choices/customization that's also fine
  • If a game is mostly linear but has a handful of choices throughout the game I just feel like I'm missing out on content.
    • I either want to be able to experience all the content available (that interests me) or be able to carve my own way through the story
    • I don't want to play a linear game where there's like a handful of outcomes, scenes, etc. that I just have to miss out on

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
Bad grammar and poor syntax. I can forgive reused assets and annoying design decisions, but nothing kills my suspension of disbelief harder than crappy writing. I wish I could ignore it, but it's like a hammer right to the face. Almost as if the game is screaming at me through the screen.

Reactions: Doorknob22