What are your methods for finding a new VN/Game to play?

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
Just curious on how other folks find new VNs/games to play. On this site, I spend most of my time on the New Posts page. From there, I look at the game names and if they seem interesting, I'll hover over the title to see the preview. If that looks good, then I'll click to review the thread itself. If I'm in the mood for something particular, I'll obviously search using tags. Finally, I'll go to the bottom of the main page and take a look at the Latest Updates tab.

There are two other sites I frequent and mainly use to see when I game I like has been updated, because it's visually easier to find them. The reason for this is that they have a sort of gallery which shows the banner for the game, the title, version, and date updated. It's also sorted in a way that shows the latest updates first.

Finally, I typically, but not always, only pay attention to Renpy games. I don't like having to install extra stuff on my PC, so if a game requires that, I skip it. Also, particularly with Unity it seems, I just don't like the GUI and often find them difficult to figure out what to do.

What do you do?

Reactions: The Waifus Lover

phattty

Dec 29, 2018
Since you've just found the latest updates page do yourself a favor. Filter to a tag you like and sort by top rated. You will find older fantastic games you like.

Reactions: GetOutOfMyLab

JuniorAT

Dec 25, 2017
I use another site which updates a giant thread of games whenever the games get their update that's accompanied with a set of preview pics (which usually show more pics than here). Those pics are important because I choose what to play based on the girls and the art style more so than anything else. I guess it's rather lazy and shallow of me to choose a game this way but whatever it works for me.

Losersriot

Jul 7, 2021
I only play games with a female protagonist. Not anime. Only Renpy. First, I found and downloaded all 25 of these games by tag. Then I just follow the latest updates tab.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I basically went through all the games with relevant tags when I first found this site many years ago. Of course, most games even with good tags did not pass the threshold for me to download it.

These days, I just check Latest Updates religiously to check out anything that might interest me, which is becoming increasingly infrequent as I get bored with all the copy pasta crap.

I will occasionally find games I've passed up on being recommended by some people in the rec forums and give it a shot. Found some real gems this way.

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
I will occasionally find games I've passed up on being recommended by some people in the rec forums and give it a shot. Found some real gems this way.
I've found a couple this way. There was usually something unappealing I found about the game, or the description didn't provide enough information, but then I read comments by folks who have played and so gave them a chance. Ended up really like those ones.

Hadley

Sep 18, 2017
Don't neglect to use the tag system if you care about specific fetishes/genres.
Tags are somewhat useless because lots of people put Tags in there that are not (yet) in the Game. I've seen so many Games with Pregnancy Tags and 95% have no Pregnancy at all or best case a single Render at the end of the Game.

Quality always wins out, so I just don't bother with 0.1 or 0.2 versions and wait until the masses vote up a new Game.

Mar 23, 2020
Usually go for games I've seen mentioned several times positively. Big plus if it has a walkthrough mod, good tags, not v0.0.1 [alpha] [demo] [abandoned]

Deleted member 3917737

Jul 12, 2021
I do a mixture of things. I either click on a pic in a signature (if it's clickable and looks interesting) like NukaCola mentioned. I click on the "Whats New" tab and scroll down a bit to see the latest posts on some games (looking at the names & hovering over them to see the banner to see how it looks) I check out the "Latest Updates" section or I might check out some games I hear about a lot, to see what all the fuss is about.

I also just stick with Ren'py games like you GetOutOfMyLab

Orichan

Sep 6, 2017
https://f95zone.to/latest/

-> Sort by Weighted Ratings
-> Date limit : 7 days at first. Then I increase it if I can't find something good.
-> Obviously I put the tags I want

If I find one with appealing thumbnails, I go in the review page, I skim through the reviews and basically if I see people are passionate about the game and its story, I take it that the game is good and I download it.
That's why I try to be passionate when I make my reviews. To show other who will read it that they *need* to check it out.

If the game has 5/5 average rating I just check it out no matter the thumbnails though. I had one good experience doing this, by playing this game : https://f95zone.to/threads/say-it-again-ch-2-gaerax.83116/
Ugly previews, however the rating was *unanimously* positive, so I still played it and it didn't miss, the game was great.