• First

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Second

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

Grumpy Eagle

Game Developer
May 12, 2018
What approach for creating background do you find better?

1. Background with people but they are low-poly and their style doesn't fit the style of main character.
1.png

2.Background without people.
2.png

Obviously there is third option with people with same style like main character but that is expensive and render time is ridiculous. (at least for my computer and wallet)

DreamBig Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
You can use DOF, that way you can mask a bit the Low Polly. Also, you can render them in multiple scenes and then merge in Post...
I would go with less characters, but better quality....

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
In my opinion it's not so much as which one is better but what you are trying to convey in the image. Each of those images tells a different story. How I see it is, in the first image I get the sense that the character is in a busy area, they're out and about doing their morning business, where else in the 2nd image, the character is waiting to meet someone in private.

Reactions: desmosome

Grumpy Eagle

Game Developer
May 12, 2018
In my opinion it's not so much as which one is better but what you are trying to convey in the image. Each of those images tells a different story. How I see it is, in the first image I get the sense that the character is in a busy area, they're out and about doing their morning business, where else in the 2nd image, the character is waiting to meet someone in private.
Well it should be busy area. So obviously there should be people. My question is more about if the low-poly characters doesn't look way to bad.
There is actually many games where the characters are in busy areas like restaurant or anything and the background is empty restaurant or street... It always seems to me weird so I would like to go for some people in background.

Reactions: AgentOrange

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
I agree with billboards.
Just found out about them and already added them to my own game.

Some examples:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
They work best with DOF and long distance shots.
And the billboards with plugins where you can rotate are the most preferable.

Reactions: Grumpy Eagle

Grumpy Eagle

Game Developer
May 12, 2018
Well at the end I kinda find a way to render scene with more high resolution figures on my PC. I'm using scene optimizer - script for minimize textures. It actually reduce the size of a scene like 2-3X times without loosing much quality. If you minimize textures of object far from camera you cannot see difference. At least for my game with resolution 1280x720 it is fine. Still cannot use more that 9-10 figures but nothing is perfect.
Here is the result:
new-background.png