What better way to have supporting characters?

OldHiccup

Our Home DEV
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 29, 2021
I don't know if this is the best place for this, when you need to make supporting characters, what do you use, a black character, or do you have any assets with only supporting characters?

• Haha
Reactions: Domiek

DingoDeer

New World Paradise
Uploader
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 19, 2018
I really don't get the question that you trying to ask.
but from what I get is "side character 101 (?)"
if that's right, then:
1. make it not too outshining your mc.
2. race doesn't matter (I think) just make him a really likeable dude, but remember, come back to number 1.
3. good side character tend to have some kind of backstory, make it to be somehow linked to the mc existence (for example your side character is lonely man, and boom mc appear, idk)
4. unless you make NTR or blackmailing story always stick to the supporting rule, people really annoyed at inconsistency of a character, let alone the one that close to the mc.

I think that's it, that was my take on side character.
good luck with your game or story.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldHiccup

OldHiccup

Our Home DEV
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 29, 2021
I really don't get the question that you trying to ask.
but from what I get is "side character 101 (?)"
if that's right, then:
1. make it not too outshining your mc.
2. race doesn't matter (I think) just make him a really likeable dude, but remember, come back to number 1.
3. good side character tend to have some kind of backstory, make it to be somehow linked to the mc existence (for example your side character is lonely man, and boom mc appear, idk)
4. unless you make NTR or blackmailing story always stick to the supporting rule, people really annoyed at inconsistency of a character, let alone the one that close to the mc.

I think that's it, that was my take on side character.
good luck with your game or story.
It wasn't exactly what I was asking, but they were excellent about the secondary characters.

When I mentioned black, it was not skin color, it was more shadows, without any interface, just black.

I was referring to characters who do not make any interaction, they are just there in the scene to enrich the scene;

But going out creating characters just for that takes time, and it's very smart, I ended up finding some assets that will help me with that (Now Crowd Billboard).

OldHiccup

Our Home DEV
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 29, 2021
yeah I think this what he mean..

what kind of game that you want to make oldhiccup ?
DingoDeer

I am developing an adult game, which tells the story of a boy who spent all his childhood and youth in an orphanage, and is now leaving there to walk his own path.

I'm trying to use my long experience as a programmer to try to create something really interesting to play, with a good story and good scenes.

I spent the last month getting to know all the adult games possible to ask for experience and see what to do and what not to do.

And I am now learning DAZ and renpy.

I am working on the prologue, and it has been a very fun experience, I hope to share with you soon.

I'm trying to create scenes that are really rich in details, to bring an experience as close to the real as possible.

I was very happy to find this forum, it really has a lot of activity here, and it's good not to be a lone wolf.

chainedpanda

Jun 26, 2017
I believe devs render the black silhouettes simply to reduce render times, not to enhance the game in any way. Simply a developmental shortcut to make the locations appear populated rather than empty.

If this is what you are referring too, I honestly don't think it matters in any way. Do what you want to do in this scenario. If you want to speed up rendering speeds, do it. If you find that you prefer actual background characters you can do that as well. I honestly don't believe the players will care in either scenario.

Reactions: OldHiccup

OldHiccup

Our Home DEV
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 29, 2021
I believe devs render the black silhouettes simply to reduce render times, not to enhance the game in any way. Simply a developmental shortcut to make the locations appear populated rather than empty.

If this is what you are referring too, I honestly don't think it matters in any way. Do what you want to do in this scenario. If you want to speed up rendering speeds, do it. If you find that you prefer actual background characters you can do that as well. I honestly don't believe the players will care in either scenario.
it is a very sincere opinion, thank you for taking the time to do this, i really appreciate that you are careful with the games, I notice carefully the details of the scenes.

Black silhouettes seem like a good idea, when you want to save time, in my case I'm not so worried about it at the moment, my GPU does all the rendering work and my cpu is still free to dedicate time to other things. I go for "characters" in the most relevant scenes, in the others I will put silhouettes.