Daz What can it be? Prob with assets disappearing

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
There is a question i have.
When you create a pose, how can i save this pose to not have to do it again? Poses take time and i am sure there is a way to do that.
Also, can you save somehow the light setup?
Just questions i am pondering.
I haven't had time yet to play with saving custom poses, but i believe it's just a matter of File --> Save as --> Pose preset and then just pick a location where you can find it later. Also, I believe you can expand the options that come up when you go to save it, so you can select only the areas you want to save... in the case of making a preset for just a hand pose, for example.

Right now, I basically just save the whole Scene whenever I want a back up. Then I just delete what I don't want when I load it into a new scene. After I am done with this training project, I'll probably refine my procedures and start building libraries of presets for myself.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I haven't had time yet to play with saving custom poses, but i believe it's just a matter of File --> Save as --> Pose preset and then just pick a location where you can find it later. Also, I believe you can expand the options that come up when you go to save it, so you can select only the areas you want to save... in the case of making a preset for just a hand pose, for example.

Right now, I basically just save the whole Scene whenever I want a back up. Then I just delete what I don't want when I load it into a new scene. After I am done with this training project, I'll probably refine my procedures and start building libraries of presets for myself.
I am a dummy. Yes, that is exactly right. Its just there. I usually save the subset which included everything.
There is also one for pose. :rolleyes:

The whole squishy thing is interesting. The more and more i get into it, i want to be perfect. Problem is hair. I just scratched the surface there. How do hair fall with a pose. Makes you really think about the physics and environment.

Btw. i still have problem with fitting clothing. I love the nylon stockings but they are just a bitch. No matter how i add geometry, it just always has a clip issue. And i followed their instruction. So now its pantyhose. That seems to work better.
I wonder, if with shell this problem would not exist. Got to try.
https://f95zone.to/threads/nylon-pantyhose-for-genesis-8-female-s.38527/
The above look really great but i have really problem with them.
Last time i installed the mesh picker but it did not show up. I will try that again as well.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
She has a bump map, a normal map, and SSS.
Would have been better if they were shown once the image rendered. Because her skin look more like uniform slick plastic than cold and dead.
Not that the image is bad, it's not the case. But it's far to be the wonder you advertise.

Randomly browsing games, I found the same done with Daz Studio (it's a vampire, so cold and dead skin):

Even with the higher distance, we still see the effect of the normal map, and feel the presence of some sub surface. As too often, the only problem is that the hair have been forgot.

• Red Heart
Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Would have been better if they were shown once the image rendered. Because her skin look more like uniform slick plastic than cold and dead.
Not that the image is bad, it's not the case. But it's far to be the wonder you advertise.

Randomly browsing games, I found the same done with Daz Studio (it's a vampire, so cold and dead skin):

Even with the higher distance, we still see the effect of the normal map, and feel the presence of some sub surface. As too often, the only problem is that the hair have been forgot.
such beauty

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021

That's not a good comparison because she's indoors and my image was outdoors on a cloudy day, lit with even gray light from every direction. That will naturally remove the shadows on a person's face. I color graded the image to remove the warm hues and make everything look like concrete, so you shouldn't be feeling any subsurface scattering from it anyway.

zsa1.png

This is what the figure looks like imported straight into Blender. She's very pale, but the product description ( ) says "pale skin" so it's not far off. You can clearly the SSS if you look at her ear.

zsa2.png

This is the figure after I fiddled with Diffeo's material editor to put more red into her diffuse and translucent channels. Probably wouldn't use this for a final render, but it's easy enough to tweak.

zsa3.png

This is the figure with the bump turned up as high as it is in the image you shared. Like that one, I think the bump is so harsh it detracts from the softness of her facial features, so I would never use it this high.

Of course, this is all academic. Daz Studio still won't have an FK/IK blend rig no matter how much we debate the quality of the renderer, so it's useless at its very core.

Btw. i still have problem with fitting clothing. I love the nylon stockings but they are just a bitch. No matter how i add geometry, it just always has a clip issue. And i followed their instruction. So now its pantyhose. That seems to work better.
I wonder, if with shell this problem would not exist. Got to try.
https://f95zone.to/threads/nylon-pantyhose-for-genesis-8-female-s.38527/
The above look really great but i have really problem with them.
Last time i installed the mesh picker but it did not show up. I will try that again as well.
Some options if mesh grabber won't work:
  • Push modifier with a weight map
  • dFormer
  • Smoothing modifier

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Just wondering. How do i get this saliva dripping effect around the mouth? I have a lot of expressions and props but i seem to not have anything to get that effect around the mouth and what i seen in some games.
Or can you create that?

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Just wondering. How do i get this saliva dripping effect around the mouth? I have a lot of expressions and props but i seem to not have anything to get that effect around the mouth and what i seen in some games.
Or can you create that?
I'm sure there's props for sale on Renderotica.

Or you could just model it yourself in Blender.

Create two UV spheres, bridge them with edge loops, and add loop cuts to the "strand". Then do some sculpting/mesh editing to make it look organic. In Blender you can control it with bendy bones or curves. You may be able to rig it in Daz if you import it, but I don't use Daz so I can't help you with that.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
drool.png

Takes a minute and a half to model in Blender, if you know what you're doing.

You can get nice swinging and stretching with Bezier curves (same thing I was talking about with reins and ropes earlier) since the deformation will be interpolated along the curve. Daz Studio doesn't have those.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I'm sure there's props for sale on Renderotica.

Or you could just model it yourself in Blender.

Create two UV spheres, bridge them with edge loops, and add loop cuts to the "strand". Then do some sculpting/mesh editing to make it look organic. In Blender you can control it with bendy bones or curves. You may be able to rig it in Daz if you import it, but I don't use Daz so I can't help you with that.
I probably did not use the right term for the search. I have to snoop around more.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Are you referring to this image which:
  • Had so many characters the Duf I copied it from took an hour to load
  • Uses Bezier curve ropes, which Daz can't do
  • Takes advantages of Blender's ability to offload work to system RAM if it won't all fit on the GPU
  • I lit and color graded specifically to give it an overcast, washed out look
?

What about it?
It simply ain't good. And it wasn't good 5 years ago.
Do you really think Blender invented out-of-core rendering lol.
Wait till you learn you can render in layers and still play Dragon Dogma on a second card.
So big Bezier, much ropes.

I hate critizing other people work but here go.

Lightening is way too flat for a close up, you're shooting yourself in the foot here.
You have no specularity for details levrage. Skin itself, ain't gonna work, even pale vampire need colors undertone (red/rose, orange, and a bit of of blue), you are rendering translucent ceramic here, not a skin. You need to bring at least a bit of skin plasticity, porosity to the game.

zzzz.jpg

Last edited:

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
It simply ain't good. And it wasn't good 5 years ago.
Do you really think Blender invented out-of-core rendering lol.
Wait till you learn you can render in layers and still play Dragon Dogma on a second card.
So big Bezier, much ropes.

I hate critizing other people work but here go.

Lightening is way too flat for a close up, you're shooting yourself in the foot here.
You have no specularity for details levrage. Skin itself, ain't gonna work, even pale vampire need colors undertone (red/rose, orange, and a bit of of blue), you are rendering translucent ceramic here, not a skin. You need to bring at least a bit of skin plasticity, porosity to the game.
So you're saying I should use Daz Studio because Blender didn't invent out of core rendering, even though Daz doesn't have out of core rendering?

The scene was lit by bland, even gray lighting from a skydome. Of course it's flat. Why would I focus on bringing out fine details when I know I'll be postworking it to look even more soft and diffuse?

Granted, some details may get muted by the denoiser. But it's either that or noise in the depth of field.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I noticed a strange phenomena with DAZ. Sometimes, when i rendered an image, DAZ seems unresponsive to the point that assets are not shown in the file tree. The icons come back eventually but it takes some time.
So i wonder if DAZ takes too much memory and perhaps i have to little memory for all the assets to be loaded into the file tree.
I had also DAZ crash several times upon rendering and present an error.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800 DDR4 SDRAM UDIMM 2x 8GB of Ram
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II (MS-7C02)
MSI RTX 3060 VENTUS 2X OC LHR

I got also a render error
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

p.s. i will reinstall everything. Just to make sure its installed right.

Last edited:

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
So i wonder if DAZ takes too much memory and perhaps i have to little memory for all the assets to be loaded into the file tree.

That is basically the understatement of the year, lol :ROFLMAO:

It seems that it doesn't matter how much memory your PC has... DAZ will look for and claw every damn scrap of it. I really wonder how these people managed to run and use two instances of DAZ running at once (I guess some earlier versions could do that) That must have been before the Iray days.

I think that is why a lot of full time game devs run two boxes, one for working on and one to just do renders. I think I'm going to set something like that up in the future, with a shared NAS drive between them so i can update the scenes and what not, even when the other box is rendering.

I'll give you some examples of how DAZ memory leaks affect my system, which is brand new (I only built it 1.5 months ago)

I have 32 GB btw, but my vid card is only a 4GB 1050Ti so everything falls on the CPU (8 threads)

• When just running DAZ and composing scenes, I can run several other apps and have multiple windows/monitors open, NP
  • Soon as I start rendering, I have to limit myself to my browser, and maybe play a video or stream some music with a player.
  • Anything that uses system ram is basically shut down... for example, try to download a file from MEGA when mid-render. MEGA saves the file directly to RAM until it's complete, then transfers it to your drives, so it slows to a snails pace when rendering.
  • Torrents, on the other hand, work blissfully unaware of DAZ. I've done GB/s torrents while rendering.
  • If you are rendering multiple small scenes and don't reload DAZ in between, it gets even worse as DAZ assets tend to stick around in memory. The 'clear the scene' button helps but all the advice I have read says it's best to close DAZ and then reopen it to clear the memory. Basically every batch render script will do this by default.
  • Sometimes my file explorer will just go BOOM when the memory leakage gets too high. I'll go to move a render file and then my file explorer disappears and the desktop refreshes. My guess is the thumbnails Windows like making for everything bumps heads with DAZ.
  • I like streaming my Prime movies when rendering so i have to start the service then wait for Prime to claw enough memory back from DAZ to start a good HD stream. It's OK after that, except for the odd glitch when DAZ does a particularly big write.
EDIT: I just re-read your post and are you saying DAZ acts like this, even after the render is finished? If so, then I wonder if you are loading scenes in that are too massive for your system?

Also, when you render, do you write to file direct or have the render in a new window? I use the later personally, as i like to see the progress being made. I also like the option of choosing whatever name i want for the render when it's done. Not sure if that makes a difference though.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
That is basically the understatement of the year, lol :ROFLMAO:

It seems that it doesn't matter how much memory your PC has... DAZ will look for and claw every damn scrap of it. I really wonder how these people managed to run and use two instances of DAZ running at once (I guess some earlier versions could do that) That must have been before the Iray days.

I think that is why a lot of full time game devs run two boxes, one for working on and one to just do renders. I think I'm going to set something like that up in the future, with a shared NAS drive between them so i can update the scenes and what not, even when the other box is rendering.

I'll give you some examples of how DAZ memory leaks affect my system, which is brand new (I only built it 1.5 months ago)

I have 32 GB btw, but my vid card is only a 4GB 1050Ti so everything falls on the CPU (8 threads)

• When just running DAZ and composing scenes, I can run several other apps and have multiple windows/monitors open, NP
  • Soon as I start rendering, I have to limit myself to my browser, and maybe play a video or stream some music with a player.
  • Anything that uses system ram is basically shut down... for example, try to download a file from MEGA when mid-render. MEGA saves the file directly to RAM until it's complete, then transfers it to your drives, so it slows to a snails pace when rendering.
  • Torrents, on the other hand, work blissfully unaware of DAZ. I've done GB/s torrents while rendering.
  • If you are rendering multiple small scenes and don't reload DAZ in between, it gets even worse as DAZ assets tend to stick around in memory. The 'clear the scene' button helps but all the advice I have read says it's best to close DAZ and then reopen it to clear the memory. Basically every batch render script will do this by default.
  • Sometimes my file explorer will just go BOOM when the memory leakage gets too high. I'll go to move a render file and then my file explorer disappears and the desktop refreshes. My guess is the thumbnails Windows like making for everything bumps heads with DAZ.
  • I like streaming my Prime movies when rendering so i have to start the service then wait for Prime to claw enough memory back from DAZ to start a good HD stream. It's OK after that, except for the odd glitch when DAZ does a particularly big write.
EDIT: I just re-read your post and are you saying DAZ acts like this, even after the render is finished? If so, then I wonder if you are loading scenes in that are too massive for your system?

Also, when you render, do you write to file direct or have the render in a new window? I use the later personally, as i like to see the progress being made. I also like the option of choosing whatever name i want for the render when it's done. Not sure if that makes a difference though.
Well, here is the thing.
I reinstalled everything. Like i hate to copy every archive. Its a useful as cancer.
Everything seems fine. However, it still appears there is a lag for the icons in the file tree. It makes sense though, if what you are saying is true. If the this program gobbles up all the memory (i did not check) than it makes perfect sense.
Though i wonder if i should upgrade RAM in hopes it will benefit me somehow.

When its rendering, there is a lag sometimes. So the cores are working really hard. I render only on the GFX card.
Scenes take surely lots of memory. Though the card has 12GB, so it should, in theory, be ok. The environments i am using are fairly small. Bistro for example. Its more or less one room with outside scene.

In comparison to before, without that card, it took way longer to get everything loaded and rendered. So i am ok. It is perhaps one of the problems with the software you have to live with.
At the moment, i am trying to render scenes to make a story. So this takes time. But it is really great how fast everything is going in regards to the render portion. I could not have done that on CPU alone.
Sadly, i have no space for 2 computers. I have an old laptop but you can't do anything useful with it. Its an old Lenevo T430.
Great to take around on a trip for small stuff.

NAS drive? Never did. Sounds like a great idea. Computer itself isn't really expensive but the CPU and GFX card is. I only could afford the 3060 but its great for what i do.
I am not sure if the CPU itself makes a difference. The heart of my computer houses an AMD.

At the moment i can't invest more money in my system. Money is needed elsewhere.

But to sum it up. I think its the software. So i will live with it. Its ok.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I forgot to mention. Props don't disappear anymore. So i think this was an issue with the gfx card itself or the lag of it.
I consider it solved and i think a reminder, to really have a NVIDIA card in your computer so DAZ does not only relay on your main computer for everything.

Reactions: moose_puck