What constitutes romance for the "Romance" tag?

Jonboy80

Dec 8, 2017
I was under the assumption that Romance was, more or less, taking time to build a relationship with a character but after I downloaded a couple of titles, they made me question that.

The titles in question are House of Witches and Break! The Rematch.

HoW is barely ten minutes long, so no real time to form a relationship.

BtR seems to be the exact opposite of Romance. I played for about an hour and it was nothing but blackmail and coercion. At least, as far as I could see.

So, what is F95's definition of romance?

Jonboy80

Dec 8, 2017
If you have fully played through those games and can find nothing to support the tag you may report it.

Tag rules
Alright. I'll push through BtR, if I can, to see if there is any romance. It may be further into the game. I'll also do another playthrough of HoW to see if I missed something.

Ophanim

May 2, 2018
I was under the assumption that Romance was, more or less, taking time to build a relationship with a character but after I downloaded a couple of titles, they made me question that.

The titles in question are House of Witches and Break! The Rematch.

HoW is barely ten minutes long, so no real time to form a relationship.

BtR seems to be the exact opposite of Romance. I played for about an hour and it was nothing but blackmail and coercion. At least, as far as I could see.

So, what is F95's definition of romance?
Doing the lord's work I see :D Good romance do be hard to find.

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
Note that tags tend to be handled as "if any of the content reasonably qualifies, tag it". Games get tagged as "lesbian" if there's a single FFM threesome where the girls make out a lot while the guy alternates fucking them. I presume a short optional path where you go on a date or two before kissing and having sex would qualify as "romance" even if you then go right back to being a blackmailed sex slave afterwards.

haksaw

Oct 10, 2019
Well, romance is consensual romantic relationship, it has nothing to do with bildup or length. If MC blackmails or rapes a girl at the start, but later by the magic of tropes she falls in love with him and proceed to have consensual sexual relationship, that would qualify as romance too.

morphnet

Aug 3, 2017
It could also happen before a relationship where a guy shows romantic gestures, buying flowers/gifts, writing notes etc. Groups of romantic gestures could be considered romancing a woman to start a relationship and could count as well.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
There's a mention that the next generation of tagging will feature major/minor tags. So while a lot of games have *some* aspect of romance, certain games (like Love of Magic) are heavily romance based. Similarly, right now you might get away with tagging it as Lesbian (from the FFM or FFFM sequences), in reality it's a pretty straight Heterosexual harem game, though the central story-arc is heavily romantic, and several of the secondary female characters have strong romance paths.

I think that'll hopefully help for people who wanted to search for "romantic story about lovers destined to be with each other" as opposed to "MC bought her dinner before running a train on her". One of those would be tagged Major in romance, the other one minor.

soma7x

May 15, 2019
Surely anything involving tentacles, rape and sissification is romance?
If not it would explain the odd looks my therapist gives me.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Surely anything involving tentacles, rape and sissification is romance?
If not it would explain the odd looks my therapist gives me.
Hey, now... Love of Magic is romance AND has not just one, but TWO tentacle scenes.

Of course, the tentacles get set on fire in the process, but that's tough love for you.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
Tbf, using the word in question in its definition is pretty stupid lol.

Corruption [Used when characters are corrupted.]
Very informative!
I'm sure people know what the word romance means. what's not as trivial is what qualifies a game for f95 romance tag. one scene? one gesture? all romance no rape? must all LIs be romanceable? does one romance route suffice despite a cornucopia of rape routes?