What device do you play on?

What is you preferred device to play ren'py/rpgm games on?

• PC

Votes: 37 100.0%
  • Tablet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shapersoul

Dec 21, 2018
Currenty working on the UI of a game this will be really useful info for me and other developers. No personal data will be collected...promise ;)

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
I know it's not exactly the same thing, but there are some statistics here which may help:
StatCounter: " "

Note that mobile devices often have a viewport which is double the resolution, so the 360x640 resolution is actually displayed as though it's 720x1280.

Reactions: Mikedazz1

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
Mac does not count as a PC, that's like saying a skateboard is an Audi TT. A Mac is an overpriced abacus.
I'm sure shapersoul just means that Mac counts as a "PC" for the purposes of this poll. That said, "Desktop/Laptop Computer" would probably be a better term than "PC".

Reactions: Domiek

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
Listen even if it the question was "What device do you play on" I would imagine it would be at least 75% PC, 20% Mac, and mobile for the rest. However the actual question is "preferred device." I see no reason for it not to be 100%.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
I think the question would be better phrased as "what's your resolution" since it's what matters the most UI wise.

I say 720p is a good resolution to base your design on.

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
My one chance to dig at Mac at you take it literally, y u do dis?
Because apparently my brain lost its ability to comprehend words after the comma in your post.

But I'm going to blame you anyways because you didn't use an emoticon. ;)

Reactions: Avaron1974

Faerie Liquid

Mar 3, 2018
I don't think I've seen an RPG maker game for phones or tablets. It'd be kinda cool to play this sorta game on a phone though, then you could play it in bed or in the bath or whatever

shapersoul

Dec 21, 2018
Figured it would mostly be PC, but I've seen quite a few android ports so wanted check if that was a common thing or not.

"Desktop/Laptop Computer" would probably be a better term than "PC".
Tbf "PC" does stand for personal computer, still feels wrong putting Mac in that category though.

shapersoul

Dec 21, 2018
StatCounter: " "
I think the question would be better phrased as "what's your resolution" since it's what matters the most UI wise.
Resolution doesn't help this poll, 4k phones are a thing. But that is a seperate issue I hadn't considered yet, over a decade of being a PC gamer it's easy to forget that people still use resolutons lower than 1080p. Gonna have to look into making a resolution option. Thanks for bringing that up.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I don't think I've seen an RPG maker game for phones or tablets. It'd be kinda cool to play this sorta game on a phone though, then you could play it in bed or in the bath or whatever
I do not really see that happening, phones do not have enough buttons... My phone does not even have a single button.
It would be either "touch everything" or a simulated pad which would cover a good part of the screen.

shapersoul

Dec 21, 2018
I do not really see that happening, phones do not have enough buttons
RPGMV has a plugin for customizable touchscreen buttons intended for android, it can be done. I made the switch to ren'py early on though so that won't be from me. If more RPG maker developers made good use of plugins, rpgm games wouldn't have such a bad reputation. With MV at least, you can fix every common complaint with just plugins from yanfly.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I'll have to dig for a few screenshots later, does that actually work properly without feeling in the way?

shapersoul

Dec 21, 2018
I'll have to dig for a few screenshots later, does that actually work properly without feeling in the way?
never tried that plugin myself but heres the link
Since it's made by yanfly it probably works quite well. Theres a big list of plugins on that site and all the ones I tried worked really well.

Reactions: Winterfire

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Mac does not count as a PC, that's like saying a skateboard is an Audi TT. A Mac is an overpriced abacus.
Well, he didn't intended it like this, but still he was totally right. Any Mac build after Apple left Motorola is literally nothing more than an overpriced PC. They share the exact same architecture and components. There's less difference between a modern Mac and a PC, than there where between a PC and a at the time.
So, to keep your comparison, it's like saying that a Ferrari is the same thing than a Replica Ferrari sold sealed at twice the original price.