What do you consider a "good" Patreon Reward and a "bad" Patreon Reward?

HalGLC

May 12, 2017
So obviously many creators (or most) use Patreon, and want you to donate as much as possible. The question is: What works for you? What rewards make you think "That's worth going to the $10 tier" while others "that's a ripoff"

Some rewards I've seen include

• Early release
  • More Scenes
  • Thanks in the credits
  • Voting in a poll for future content
  • walkthrough made available
  • The Dev's Thanks!
  • Wallpapers/Themes
  • Some bonus images

So what excites you?

And for the record I am not a dev and probably never will be, but this seems like a decent discussion and if devs see it and take notes, then all the better

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
None of those really, I support people whose games I like and the development process I can approve. I don't believe in being blackmailed into paying extra for more perks, especially in a donation platform like Patreon.

That said, early release I can accept if it's a week at most before release to lower tiers, making a scheme like Darth Smut's were 5$ people are 2-3 months behind the schedule is just plain disrespectful. The same goes for scenes, people pay what they can afford and think the game is worth, why should a developer add more scenes for higher patrons? That's stupid, creators should be befriending people and not forcing them to stay.

Tataro

Mar 27, 2018
Really never cared about the tiers. If I can't afford 50$ a month then no reward in the world will convince me to pay it, heh, unless you can bring the char to life and in my bed.

But seriously, most people here can get a game for free with all the perks anyone else can get. People support it because they wish to support the dev and kinda force him to make more of the game by making funding attractive.

If you wanna talk something attractive with a reasonable price, maybe some character changes or a custom scene would be attractive to someone with cash.

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
good reward = low price (1$ start), with access to game without insane delay (less than a week), no ingame disadvantage.

bad reward = overpriced tier (20$ or more is way too much for most of game), huge delay (like a month later or more), ingame advantage (like cheat access, playthrougth and else)

i dont just look what i m pledging.. i look globaly. if i see too much difference between low first tier (mostly 1$) and second of third tier, then i just dont pledge.

i cant stand the fact to pay more for having cheats or walkthrougth. that's just disgusting rewards and unrespectful for peoples who cant afford high money (up to 20$)

Rythan25

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2018
None of those really, I support people whose games I like and the development process I can approve. I don't believe in being blackmailed into paying extra for more perks, especially in a donation platform like Patreon.

That said, early release I can accept if it's a week at most before release to lower tiers, making a scheme like Darth Smut's were 5$ people are 2-3 months behind the schedule is just plain disrespectful. The same goes for scenes, people pay what they can afford and think the game is worth, why should a developer add more scenes for higher patrons? That's stupid, creators should be befriending people and not forcing them to stay.
100% this... I believe tiers should only allow for early release... make a 2, 5, 10 tier list... anything above that is insane, use Koffi or something else to get extra money from those who really want to help you out... Seeing the first (10 dollar) tier get it 2 weeks earlier doesnt bother me... or the 2nd tier (5 dollar) get it one week ahead is fine...

But when the perks get into shady territory it makes me not want to support at all...stuff I hate devs allowing the highest tier people to influence
- the story (I dont want to know what rando #46 wants as far as fetishes in the game)
- a scene (same as above)
- fetishes (again many a great game has been ruined due to it)

Things I dont mind, but wouldnt pay more myself for higher tiers
- special render images (not in game)
- minor character named after you
- using a daz3d character created by the Patron

For me convincing me to give you 5 dollars rather than 1 ? I love your story or art already and monthly updates.... convincing me to give you 10 rather than 5 ? I love both the art and story already, and monthly updates... convincing me to give you 20 rather than 10 ? I love your art, story, monthly updates, and you toss burns to fans of stuff I dont like LOL.

freca

Jun 15, 2017
Rewards don't affect my decision to support someone. The quality of their work does. And the more I like their game, the more I will put towards my patronage for them.

If there is one "reward" that I could say I do not like; it would be polls/voting for content. It's a fun thing to have, if the poll goes the way you want it too. But no one likes to "lose". Unless the poll has no affect on character development and it's just "which extra content would you like" - that's when everyone wins.

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Making tiers is probably the hardest thing as a dev.
You don't want to appear greedy with tons of high tiers and locked content.
But at the same time, you don't want to be gullible (me at the start) and make a $1 tier only with everything in that tier.

From my experience, and with what people also say in here, it is not so much the reward but how much they can afford that matters. Even my high tiers always tell me that as long as the quality is good they stay. The rewards are just 'fun bonuses'.

So best not to overthink it. Make a couple of tiers that appeal to people from all financial statuses (99% of people tend to go for premade tiers instead of adding their own amount even if they're willing to support with more).

However, a good thing I learned with tiers is that there is a bigger success in having patron only posts on $5 tiers instead of $1. That one is probably the one that makes the biggest impact and also with fellow devs that changed it to that.
Rest of the rewards is a bit less important.

MLBnoob

Mar 13, 2019
For 10$ a patron whose name I forgot just gave me a few pictures while the one NSFW pic was very tame, I instantly took my pledge and went to another great artist creator that make NSFW art much more better for just 10$ and you know what that artist creator is popular especially counting the patrons compared to the the first I mentioned.

Of course still paranoid that these artist creators can track people sharing their stuff so I have never shared anything yet but I digress.

Cumknuckles

Oct 10, 2018
i cant stand the fact to pay more for having cheats or walkthrougth. that's just disgusting rewards and unrespectful for peoples who cant afford high money (up to 20$)
To me those seem like some of the least offensive options that aren't just saying thanks for a higher tier reward since nobody should really need them but I suppose they are a bit of a waste since I doubt people that are willing to donate higher amounts would really care if they are a thing or not and the time spent on them could be used better on something else.