What do you guys think about my renders?

Klauw1988

Aug 23, 2020
I decided to create my own novel. I found lighting very important in renders, which I will aim heavily on. I'm using Virt a Mate right now which I found easier to use as Daz3d.

Novel's made with Daz3D looks amazing, don't get me wrong but they all kinda look the same. And many novels look to "plastic". Please don't get me wrong, I still love novels made with Daz3D but many novels do look the same. So, I wanted to create different renders with more realistic lighting. It's a difficult thing to do, i'm still learning and i'm kinda new to those kind of things.

But this is what I came up with. Keep in mind that these images doesn't belong to my novel and are just random renders I made for testing. I'm also looking in to custom skin textures.

Tell me what you think about it. And yes, graphics isn't anything, it's also about the story itself. But I think both contribute in being a immersive novel. I will make two different sections, because I have two different resolutions, 3840x2160 and 9600x5400.

My novel will be in 4k, and I will release afcourse a 1080p version for people who doesn't want to download a "big" novel. But the quality will be less afcourse.

Tell me what you think about my renders. What could I change, what is good or what is bad..

These are in 4k

These are in 9k

Last edited:

Once_Up

Aug 20, 2021
I think some of the environmental assets do look better than Daz but about the character's model I'm not sure, yeah the skin is not plastic, but why the character's model shadow reflection on an object is really strange?

About the render themselves, what I would suggest you improve on are composition, character's pose, and facial expression. If you want to create an immersive feeling these things are also as important as lighting.

Another thing you should add is Depth of field, to make your renders don't look flat and people can focus on the main subject of the image.

Klauw1988

Aug 23, 2020
I think some of the environmental assets do look better than Daz but about the character's model I'm not sure, yeah the skin is not plastic, but why the character's model shadow reflection on an object is really strange?

About the render themselves, what I would suggest you improve on are composition, character's pose, and facial expression. If you want to create an immersive feeling these things are also as important as lighting.

Another thing you should add is Depth of field, to make your renders don't look flat and people can focus on the main subject of the image.
Can you please explain what you mean with "shadow reflection on a object." I'm trying to recreate shadows from lights source around them, to make it more immersion. For example on the 5th picture, the shadow is created by a light above the door, behind them.

I wish I had the option to cast a light on a specific object or person, but I can't.

These models are based on genesis 2.0, so yeah, the face expressions aren't good as genesis 8.1. It's very hard to create "realistic" face expressions, especially with genesis 2.

Not everyone is fan of depth of field to be honest. It does looks good in some renders and other don't. I could give it a try, and try to use it more often.

the hair needs work, but it's good.
Yeah, the hair is kinda difficult. It's glitching through stuff, and sometimes it does look worse compared to the rest of the scene. I'm experimenting now with things to make it look better.

Here is a new skin texture that i'm probarly going to use in my renders.

I had to downscale the picture from 9k to 4k, otherwise I couldn't upload it while it worked before.

new texture.jpg

Last edited:

Klauw1988

Aug 23, 2020
16524789711.jpg

16524785299.jpg

I'm trying out some new things, I also upgraded my character with higher resolution skin textures. I also updated the eyes and decals.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: Leeduva