Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Pear

Votes: 48 45.3%
  • Rectangle

Votes: 12 11.3%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 1866322

I like the citrus deliciousness of pears and the simplistic rectangle design of the Nintendo Switch. I vote for fruit and games.

215303j

What I find interesting is the difference in the responses:

• Petite
    Votes: 41 42.7%
  • Normal
    Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Thicc
    Votes: 44 45.8%
  • Athletic(Muscular)
    Votes: 27 28.1%
  • Chubby
    Votes: 11 11.5%
  • +Cbubby(Bbw)
    Votes: 6 6.3%
vs:
  • Hourglass
    Votes: 16 64.0%
  • Apple
    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Inverted triangle
    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Pear
    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Rectangle
    Votes: 5 20.0%
I'm now going to try to compare these two and see the similarities in the voting by dividing the percentage numbers of the first with the second. Ideally the result should be 1, a higher number means in favour of the descriptive approach, a lower number means in favour of the "scientific" approach

Petite / Rectangular = 2,1
Normal / Pear = 1.1
Thicc / Hourglass = 0.72
Athletic / Inverted Triangle = 7.0
Chubby (=curvy) / Hourglass = 0.2
Chubby BBW / Apple = 0.8

So we see that Petite is more popular than Rectangular, although it is pretty clear to me that it is the same body type. Petite means small tits and ass.
Athletic is way more popular than Inverted Triangle, although that comparison is pretty clear to me.
Chubby (=curvy) was apparently a misnomer. Chubby (BBW) is not that popular. Curvy (=hourglass / thicc) should be quite popular but isn't because of the misnomer.

The results for Normal / Pear, Thicc / Hourglass and Chubby BBW / Apple are close to each other in both polls.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

215303j

If we compare Melody (hourglass) with Sophia (rectangle) it becomes quite clear:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
What I find interesting is the difference in the responses:
This is mostly due to the fact that the first poll wasn't in fact about body type. With the exception of "petite", which imply the body shape (rectangle as you said), the choice of the original poll mostly depend of a decision made by the girl and/or a life style.
By example a girl can be athletic all her youth, then fall on the chubby side once she have two children and no more type to exercise. But, unless she become BBW, she'll globally keep her body type.

One poll (the first one) was about the subjective body shape, while the other is about the effective body shape.
The same athletic girl can have a subjective "inverted triangle" body shape, because of the muscles and lack of natural fat, then fall back to her effective body shape, which can be, more or less, anyone of them, once her muscles start to fade and her body start to naturally store fat again. Or, which is a trend actually, she can have a subjective "hourglass" shape because she focused on her ass, which can perfectly be totally absent when there's not a tons of muscles to shape it.

Reactions: 215303j

215303j

One poll (the first one) was about the subjective body shape, while the other is about the effective body shape.
Good points, but on the other hand, if you look at a random woman, you can assess her body type at that moment.

How much work that woman put into achieving her body type at that moment, is unknown and to a large extent irrelevant for the assessment.

There are of course also differences in bone structure, natural fat retention and distribution etc.
Some women will remain a certain body type regardless of how much they excercise: wide boned hips or shoulders will remain wide regardless of training.

Athletic and inverted triangle isn't clear to me. Athletic can mean sporty without emphasis on almost bodybuilder-like muscles.
The term athletic is ambiguous in itself.

For instance look at below picture.

ThiesenBrianne-004CA.jpg

From Wikipedia:
Brianne Theisen-Eaton (born 18 December 1988) is a Canadian retired track and field athlete who competed in the heptathlon and women's pentathlon.
Jessica Zelinka (born September 3, 1981 in London, Ontario) is a Canadian pentathlete, heptathlete, and 100 m hurdler

Nobody can argue that either one of them is not athletic. They are among the best athletes in the world. Still very different body types. Zelinka being inverted triangle and Theisen being either apple or rectangle (even though not "petite").

But, regardless of their actual results, Zelinka *looks* more athletic.
Theisen has more medals though.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
The term athletic is ambiguous in itself.
Howard Schatz, a photographer, made the best possible comparison chart to prove this :

first.jpg second.jpg

All were performing athletes at this time, so all those bodies are athletic ones... Yet :
  • Stacy Sykora (second from the right on the second photo), Olympic medalist, fall on the "hourglass" side and is "normal".
  • Cheryl Haworth (fourth on the same photo), Olympic medalist, is "apple" and "BBW".
  • Kim Chizevsky (third from the right on the first photo) is "inverted triangle" and "muscular".
  • Tegla Loroupe, (first on the second photo), owner of four world records, is "rectangular" and "petite".
And if you look further you'll find "rectangle"/"chubby" (Dawn Ellerbe), "hourglass"/"petite", (Staciana Stitts), and so on. All the possible combination could be found on athletes body, even when not depicted here...

All except the one involving a "pear" shape, which is the only shape absent on this photo. Mostly because the only sport that need you to train hard your butt is instagram photo shooting ; not yet, and I hope never, an Olympic sport. If an athlete initially have a "pear" shape, then she'll fall on the "hourglass" or "rectangle" shape once she'll have trained enough to perform ; simply because her muscles will compensate.
Still, I'm sure that many among those who voted "athletic" on the other poll, thought about this kind of body.

This said, your own example was really relevant, since it permit to compare two athletes practicing the same sport, and so following (at least globally) the same training.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019
Still, I'm sure that many among those who voted "athletic" on the other poll, thought about this kind of body.
Which woman of Thialf's post? The left one or the right one? Because I would have thought more the left one or maybe a mix of both, but definitely not the right one. The right one would be "muscular" in my use of language and the left one would be "athletic". And the inverted triangle would be bodybuilder muscular not simply muscular in my understanding.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Which woman of Thialf's post? The left one or the right one?
Why would I suddenly refer to Thialf's post after a long argumentation and before quoting him a second time ?
It seemed obvious while writing it, that the sentence you quoted was referring to the last body shape I named.

The right one would be "muscular" in my use of language and the left one would be "athletic".
That's the second reason why Thialf's poll is more pertinent than yours. He provided a visual definition of the meaning of each word ; while relying on something letting way less place to interpretation. This while your own poll relied on the personal representation of the voters, and will be interpreted according to your own representation of the different shapes.

It's a question of personal context. Take the "chubby" visual representation by example. It change drastically depending of the voter. An US citizen living in a poor suburb will put it more fat than one living in the middle of a high class suburb, while a Japanese will put it less fat than both of them. Simply because for all of them what they learned to see as an "average looking woman" differs. And so, "more fat than the average while not being overweighted", which is the definition of "chubby", mean something totally different for the three of them.
And obviously the same apply for the other "body type" on your poll. In China, where (globally) a third of the women are "petite", a girl would need less curves to be effectively seen "petite" than in Italy where the girls are generally more curvy. The opposite being true for the said "curvy". What would be a "curvy" girl for a Chinese, would be "normal" for an Italian.
To this, you also have to take in count the age of the voter. For someone like me, born in the early 70's, "fit" and "muscular" don't have the same visual representation than for someone born after the mid 90's. Simply because the society evolved, passing from women who tried to charm with their curves, to women who try to charm with their healthy body. Even while living on the same part of the same country, we wouldn't have the same representation of what an "average woman" looks like. What would be "fit" for me, would be "normal" for him. What would be "muscular" for me, would be "fit" for him, and what would be "normal" for me, would be "curvy", when not "chubby", for him.
But for all the persons I took in example, a "rectangular" shape, or a "hourglass" one, will always look the same.

Apr 18, 2019
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
It wasn't clear to me and it isn't clear now when I read your post. I don't see a clear reference. Your reference ("this body") is very vague. Did you mean hourglass or rectangle respectively anything beside pear shaped, did you mean a more specific example? I don't know. The last one of the highlighted ones or the last one in the whole text? For me it's definitely not clear.
Maybe I am missing something, since english isn't my mother tongue. Maybe others also have problems getting what body you exactly referred to with "this body". Specific or general. Even that isn't clear by reading your words, at least to me.

By the way I didn't start a poll. Also I was the first one suggesting it would be better to have visual examples in the first post to give a better understanding, because the meaning of the terms differ from person to person. Because of that I agree with the other part of your last posts. Words (often) allow room to different own interpretations, while images don't.

Last edited:

Tanwise

Aug 29, 2017
I like slender and modestly fit physiques, with the bust size that complements their figure. But equally important and something I think needs to be addressed is the personality and attitude of the NPC's. You can have the most attractive NPC's in a game, but if their attitude is confrontational or their personality is prickly and quick with an insult at the slightest indiscretion. It takes elements of fun away.

215303j

All except the one involving a "pear" shape, which is the only shape absent on this photo.
I'd say some of the swimmers are bordering between pear and hourglass though, e.g. Dara Torres.

Mostly because the only sport that need you to train hard your butt is instagram photo shooting ; not yet, and I hope never, an Olympic sport.
Searching for "instagram shooting" images on Google does provide some interesting results though. :ROFLMAO:
Maybe it could be an interesting variety of skeet shooting but with attractive women rather than fat guys with moustaches.

Which woman of Thialf's post? The left one or the right one? Because I would have thought more the left one or maybe a mix of both, but definitely not the right one. The right one would be "muscular" in my use of language and the left one would be "athletic". And the inverted triangle would be bodybuilder muscular not simply muscular in my understanding.
In my opinion, the left one (Theisen) looks more "normal" than "athletic".
To be honest, if I met her on the beach, I'd think "normal woman" and not "Olympic athlete".
In the odd chance she reads this at some point: it's not at all unattractive, just somewhat surprising.

In China, where (globally) a third of the women are "petite"
I have read somewhere that South Korean clothing stores generally have only one size in stock, since all women tend to be slender and short anyway.
If you are tall and/or wide and/or fat, then you have a real problem apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: anne O'nymous

215303j

I like slender and modestly fit physiques, with the bust size that complements their figure.
My ideal woman is also tall, slender but with decent tits and asses.
IRL this is an unlikely combination because at least tits are mostly fat.
Lose the fat and then you also lose the tits, and to some extent the ass as well.

But equally important and something I think needs to be addressed is the personality and attitude of the NPC's.
That is something else that I have been wondering about: type casting in adult VN's.

IRL, a pretty girl does not need to be arrogant, mean or even self-confident. She can be just as meek and shy as an ugly one. "Ugly" ones don't have be shy or self-concious, but can be bitchy / mean.

But in Hollywood movies, you can generally recognise the good cowboys by their white hats and the heroines by their gorgeous looks. To a large extent this applies to VN's as well, which is what makes games like Light of my Life such a breath of fresh air.

But I think that is the topic of a different thread...

Btw, I don't share your dislike of attractive but confrontational women. I think Kelly for Intimate Relations (which is exactly the type that you describe) is totally awesome. One of my favourite female MC's (although she's more of a secondary MC after her father).

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
In my opinion, the left one (Theisen) looks more "normal" than "athletic".
To be honest, if I met her on the beach, I'd think "normal woman" and not "Olympic athlete".
In the odd chance she reads this at some point: it's not at all unattractive, just somewhat surprising.
Totally agree, she looks like an average woman with small boobs and a rectangle body shape.
I can't say for sure, since I never saw her with so small clothes, but one of my neighbor seem to have the same body. The difference being that the said neighbor don't have a world champion title and a bronze Olympic medal ; mostly because her body hide more fat than muscles, contrarily to the one of Theisen.

I have read somewhere that South Korean clothing stores generally have only one size in stock, since all women tend to be slender and short anyway.
If you are tall and/or wide and/or fat, then you have a real problem apparently.
In the same time, if no one complain loud enough to make this change, doesn't it mean that most of the women find clothes that fit them ? A shop wouldn't take the risk to loose 10% of its potential customers, so if effectively they don't have more sizes, it's mostly because they don't need more sizes.
Then, like I said, a girl who's "petite" here would be "normal" there, and a "normal" girl here would looks curvy for them.

Since we are talking about women, they don't even need to be taller, wider or fatter than the average. They just need to have bigger boobs...
I'm sure that passing all days wearing clothes that compress your boobs isn't something pleasant. Like it should be annoying to have to check every two seconds if your shirt isn't now missing a button, making you walk with your bra showing.