What Do You Prefer?

Hidden Life Studios

Game Developer
May 17, 2019
Hi everyone.
I'm about to start developing a new Ren'Py game.
I already have few ideas, but I'm not sure how to start the game.
Here's the deal: I need the main character, to be separated from his family for a few years (5/7 years).
Also, I don't want his father to be around at the beginning of the story, but I want him to be alive and known, because I plan to reintroduce him to the family later.

So, here's the two possible solutions I came up with:
1- The two parents split up and the father take the son and go abroad. When the main character become 18 years old, he want to reunite with his family and move to his mother.
2- When the two parents split up, the father run away from his responsabilities. The mother at this point have to manage with too less money and so send her son, or all her sons (they are 3), to a long term study abroad program. So, the main character live with another family, far far away, for all the time I need.

The second idea is the preferred one. It gives me more liberty and let me have the main character not knowing well his father. But is much more less realistic than the option number one.

So, which solution do you prefer? What are your thoughts about? If you have any other ideas, feel free to suggest it! (And if is the chosen one I will thank you in the credit of the game).

Hidden Life Studios

Game Developer
May 17, 2019
Yeah idea 2 would be best but only if your game is a:

Brothel management game.

the Mother lives as a FemDom/FinDom Mistress and uses men like the scums they are.

the sons were send to a long term study abroad program (sissy school)

The Mom pimps them to her clients.

The Mom lives the Life with her sexy Lesbian Lover that she trains in becoming a Mistress too.

You can recruit new sissies.

That way you could still have the holy Trinity of Harem - Incest - Rape/sleep sex (should you want those)

and not make another boring already seen 10.000 times before game...

/jk

May the sun shines upon your head while you walk a path of success.
Yeah, about that. It's quite another boring already seen game, what I have in mind. Almost. There will be some significant differences, you will see.
But, I'm not a fan of FemDom, so, I will not put that into my game unless litterally everyone ask me that.
There will still be the holy trinity.
And, some things are similar to the things you said.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
It's quite another boring already seen game, what I have in mind. Almost. There will be some significant differences, you will see.
I believe you when you say that there will be some significant differences, but I'm not sure that many people will see them. Not because your game will be bad, but because probably not much will try your game.
It's the same whatever the considered form of entertainment, past some point you come to saturation. Then, you look at the first lines of the pitch, and it feel so, "yet another one of those", that only the full addicts don't immediately jump to the next choice without caring to search further.

I can't answer to your question, tell you what approach is/feel better. I wanted, else I wouldn't have opened the thread, but I can't because while reading your thread opening I only seen dozen and dozen of game names appear in front of me ; all those who have exactly the same starting pitch. And there's tons, really.
Do your story really need to be an incest one ? Do the MC really need to reunite with his long time not seen mother ? God, the world would be full of incest if just 1 out of 10 "long time not seen mothers" in real life was as sex craved and perverted than they are in adult games.
Can't it be for once the long time not seen best friend mother ? The long time not seen nice neighbor wife who always offered such delicious cookies to MC ? The long time not seen teacher, who was so nice and caring when he hit a bad turn in his life ? Anything long time not seen that for once wouldn't be a mother...

God, why not the long time not seen bitch wife next door ? While MC was in college, her husband finally opened his eyes and divorced. She became even more of a bitch and slowly the few friends she had left her. When MC come back, she's the bitchiest bitch ever, but also totally desperate, ready to anything for just a nice word, a little bit of attention that is something else than a slap or a long yelling in her face.
It even don't need to be a corruption game. MC can perfectly be touched by her fate, and after digging in her past discover what life did to her that turned her into this monstrosity. He can then slowly and romantically bring her back to live and to love.
This or whatever, but please for once a "long time not seen" that isn't a mother...

Seriously, I'm sure that 90% of the time the story would make as much sense, and it would be so refreshing to see some novelty. Plus, even if the rest of the pitch feel like something seen thousand of times, it would be the proof that the author tried to be innovative. Just this worth 10 good points.
Perhaps that the game will be bad, perhaps that the story will be lame, but at least for once we (players) are facing an author who tried to make something new. And this would deserve that we give it a chance.

Reactions: Hidden Life Studios

Deleted member 440241

Feb 14, 2018
Neither. Option 1 is overdone, and I say this as someone who plays most of the incest game I come across on the latest updates page. Option 2 introduces financial issues which are themselves overdone as some excuse to make the MC the "man of the house". Instead of writing your characters around cliches why not decide who you want your characters to be and then decide the origin that seems right for them?

Hidden Life Studios

Game Developer
May 17, 2019
I believe you when you say that there will be some significant differences, but I'm not sure that many people will see them. Not because your game will be bad, but because probably not much will try your game.
It's the same whatever the considered form of entertainment, past some point you come to saturation. Then, you look at the first lines of the pitch, and it feel so, "yet another one of those", that only the full addicts don't immediately jump to the next choice without caring to search further.

I can't answer to your question, tell you what approach is/feel better. I wanted, else I wouldn't have opened the thread, but I can't because while reading your thread opening I only seen dozen and dozen of game names appear in front of me ; all those who have exactly the same starting pitch. And there's tons, really.
Do your story really need to be an incest one ? Do the MC really need to reunite with his long time not seen mother ? God, the world would be full of incest if just 1 out of 10 "long time not seen mothers" in real life was as sex craved and perverted than they are in adult games.
Can't it be for once the long time not seen best friend mother ? The long time not seen nice neighbor wife who always offered such delicious cookies to MC ? The long time not seen teacher, who was so nice and caring when he hit a bad turn in his life ? Anything long time not seen that for once wouldn't be a mother...

God, why not the long time not seen bitch wife next door ? While MC was in college, her husband finally opened his eyes and divorced. She became even more of a bitch and slowly the few friends she had left her. When MC come back, she's the bitchiest bitch ever, but also totally desperate, ready to anything for just a nice word, a little bit of attention that is something else than a slap or a long yelling in her face.
It even don't need to be a corruption game. MC can perfectly be touched by her fate, and after digging in her past discover what life did to her that turned her into this monstrosity. He can then slowly and romantically bring her back to live and to love.
This or whatever, but please for once a "long time not seen" that isn't a mother...

Seriously, I'm sure that 90% of the time the story would make as much sense, and it would be so refreshing to see some novelty. Plus, even if the rest of the pitch feel like something seen thousand of times, it would be the proof that the author tried to be innovative. Just this worth 10 good points.
Perhaps that the game will be bad, perhaps that the story will be lame, but at least for once we (players) are facing an author who tried to make something new. And this would deserve that we give it a chance.
Neither. Option 1 is overdone, and I say this as someone who plays most of the incest game I come across on the latest updates page. Option 2 introduces financial issues which are themselves overdone as some excuse to make the MC the "man of the house". Instead of writing your characters around cliches why not decide who you want your characters to be and then decide the origin that seems right for them?
To both of you, I totally agree. But this is not a long term or big project. I mean, I want to do it as best as I can, but I see it as a mere first step.
I just downloaded Daz litteraly yesterday, and I know still so little about Ren'Py.
I want to start little, with something that maybe isn't revolutionary or extraordinary.
What I'm about to create is just another already seen game. Done in my way, obviously, but still classic and boring.
I already have sooo many other, better, ideas in my mind, but, at the moment I'm not feeling capable of creating them at their full potential.
And is not only for the lack of knowledge and experience. There are other inconveniences too, like the fact that a 3D artist or a real progammator or some collaborator would so speed up and improve everything. Instead I am here, all alone, in this untraveled road (for me).
So, here, I make you all a promise: let me get started. Let me know how to do this. Let me find others to travel with. And, when it will be done, I will bring you real things, real emotions, real effort, new ideas, new games. And not just a game-for-cum. Because is this what I aiming for.

Deleted member 229118

Oct 3, 2017
If i had to pick it would be 1.
But both sucks.

I believe collage the the basic excuees by the son was away for years.
Militery service is also a good options.
Jail is common too.
You could go mental institute or boarding school.

Likewise if you dont want the father around have the tried the bussiness trip trope?
Would work well with boarding school.

For example:
You recently gratuated from your boarding school.
You parenst wanted you to have the best education money could by.
You missed them.
You curious how they are doing.

When you arived at home:
Hug mom and sisters.

Ask: Where is dad?
Mom answers: On a bussiness trip.
Sister: Dad always working.
Mom: Lady you know he works hard to give us the life we have.
You: When will he be back.
A few weeks.
Something about incompetent coworkers unable to do anything right and he has to get the place in order.
You know how your father is.
Nothing short of perfect will do.

Veileos

Feb 7, 2022
I agree of the two options I would go with 1 but even if your testing the waters with your game you should try something at least a little different.

How about the MC moves out to study under his fathers successful business friend who also offers to pay for his schooling. After years of study and learning from his new mentor he earns a great reputation and a great amount of wealth. Later he finds out his father is failing his business and noticed his mentor is spending a lot of time with his mother. This angers the MC and he decides to take in his family while his father tries to save whats left of his business and the MC starts to reverse NTR his mentors wife and family.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I just downloaded Daz litteraly yesterday, and I know still so little about Ren'Py.
I want to start little, with something that maybe isn't revolutionary or extraordinary.
And did you think adding "Studios" to your name would be enough?

But on a serious note, since you have done nothing yet just move on to one of your better ideas you mention already having, even a short game will take you quite a lot of work, especially for a novice. So don't hold back or you will just get bored with it midway through...

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
Hi everyone.
Here's the deal: I need the main character, to be separated from his family for a few years (5/7 years).
Also, I don't want his father to be around at the beginning of the story, but I want him to be alive and known, because I plan to reintroduce him to the family later.

1- The two parents split up and the father take the son and go abroad. When the main character become 18 years old, he want to reunite with his family and move to his mother.
2- When the two parents split up, the father run away from his responsabilities. The mother at this point have to manage with too less money and so send her son, or all her sons (they are 3), to a long term study abroad program. So, the main character live with another family, far far away, for all the time I need.

The second idea is the preferred one. It gives me more liberty and let me have the main character not knowing well his father. But is much more less realistic than the option number one.
So, which solution do you prefer?
Neither, I am not interested in your game.

What are your thoughts about?
The base scenario feels fairly average. Maybe it would be a good idea to reexamine what is the core of your story? There may be opportunities other than these two options to make your game seem a bit more unique?

If you have any other ideas, feel free to suggest it! (And if is the chosen one I will thank you in the credit of the game).
Humm. I don't know much about your story. It seems like this is about incest, something that is a great turn off for me.
Nevertheless, here goes:
1. MC was adopted. His mother was fairly young when she had him, and his father didn't want him. She decided to have him, which caused the couple to break. She then set him up for adoption, because either it was what she had planned because of her own beliefs, or maybe she eventually realized that she couldn't care about him.
Later on, she met another man, or maybe she got back with his father, and had other children with him.
Eventually, the mother ended up being too focused on her career, or maybe she became a repeat drunk, which made the new couple break up. Meanwhile, MC has been wanting to contact his parents. So he goes through the procedure, and your story starts there.

This can be turned around, where MC is the last kid of a family that was too poor to afford it, so they have to put him up for adoption.

2. The story could be a bit more medieval. At an early age, MC was forced to be sold as a slave, or maybe to become an apprentice, because his family couldn't afford to feed him. Once he is better off, he can go back to them.

3. MC is a junkie, a drug addict. He nearly overdosed at some point, and because of that, he had to be sent into rehab. It was a hellish process that took 5 to 7 years of his life, but eventually, he was able to get out of it, and was able to return home to his family.

This is what I have for you right now. Without more info about your story, it is very hard to give you more ideas, but I hope these will be useful to you.

Serupiko

Aug 30, 2018
Hi everyone.

So, which solution do you prefer? What are your thoughts about? If you have any other ideas, feel free to suggest it! (And if is the chosen one I will thank you in the credit of the game).
Both feel kindda generic, 1 more than 2, but let's all be honest, Does your character backstory really matter that much for the story? because if it's just an excuse to not seeing their family for some time, you can make up whatever you want. On the other hand, if you want to exploit the background, think about it.

Background 1 offers you things like bringing a female friend from abroad (can be quirky/odd to normal everyday life, or can be a good excuse to put whatever stereotypical fetish from another place you want, or just a good way to get a random ass character). Background 2 does something simmilar, but with another family, you can add some juice to it, how your adoptive mother and biological mother/sisters compete for your love, leading to lewder situations.

For all that matters, you can use the ''daddy busy with work'' excuse for 1 to have a close to fatherless relationship.

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Generic, way too generic.
I'm not asking for something truly unique, i know devs have massive troubles with imagination these days, but... you could try and figure something better than that.
Maybe take your time, read some books in the genre that interests you. Perhaps those will give you a better idea.

Hidden Life Studios

Game Developer
May 17, 2019
I agree of the two options I would go with 1 but even if your testing the waters with your game you should try something at least a little different.

How about the MC moves out to study under his fathers successful business friend who also offers to pay for his schooling. After years of study and learning from his new mentor he earns a great reputation and a great amount of wealth. Later he finds out his father is failing his business and noticed his mentor is spending a lot of time with his mother. This angers the MC and he decides to take in his family while his father tries to save whats left of his business and the MC starts to reverse NTR his mentors wife and family.
That's not what I was planning, but is indeed a really good idea, so I'll think about it. Thank you!

Hidden Life Studios

Game Developer
May 17, 2019
Neither, I am not interested in your game.

The base scenario feels fairly average. Maybe it would be a good idea to reexamine what is the core of your story? There may be opportunities other than these two options to make your game seem a bit more unique?

Humm. I don't know much about your story. It seems like this is about incest, something that is a great turn off for me.
Nevertheless, here goes:
1. MC was adopted. His mother was fairly young when she had him, and his father didn't want him. She decided to have him, which caused the couple to break. She then set him up for adoption, because either it was what she had planned because of her own beliefs, or maybe she eventually realized that she couldn't care about him.
Later on, she met another man, or maybe she got back with his father, and had other children with him.
Eventually, the mother ended up being too focused on her career, or maybe she became a repeat drunk, which made the new couple break up. Meanwhile, MC has been wanting to contact his parents. So he goes through the procedure, and your story starts there.

This can be turned around, where MC is the last kid of a family that was too poor to afford it, so they have to put him up for adoption.

2. The story could be a bit more medieval. At an early age, MC was forced to be sold as a slave, or maybe to become an apprentice, because his family couldn't afford to feed him. Once he is better off, he can go back to them.

3. MC is a junkie, a drug addict. He nearly overdosed at some point, and because of that, he had to be sent into rehab. It was a hellish process that took 5 to 7 years of his life, but eventually, he was able to get out of it, and was able to return home to his family.

This is what I have for you right now. Without more info about your story, it is very hard to give you more ideas, but I hope these will be useful to you.
Incest obviously will be turned off by default and a patch will turn it on. And it will not only be step-sister and co. I'm planning a little more complex turn around.

But, what I wanting to say to you, is that, placing my story in a medival era, will require a lot of changes, but is really not a bad idea!

Hidden Life Studios

Game Developer
May 17, 2019
Both feel kindda generic, 1 more than 2, but let's all be honest, Does your character backstory really matter that much for the story? because if it's just an excuse to not seeing their family for some time, you can make up whatever you want. On the other hand, if you want to exploit the background, think about it.

Background 1 offers you things like bringing a female friend from abroad (can be quirky/odd to normal everyday life, or can be a good excuse to put whatever stereotypical fetish from another place you want, or just a good way to get a random ass character). Background 2 does something simmilar, but with another family, you can add some juice to it, how your adoptive mother and biological mother/sisters compete for your love, leading to lewder situations.

For all that matters, you can use the ''daddy busy with work'' excuse for 1 to have a close to fatherless relationship.
Uhhh, you give me some ideas I never tought off. Thank you!

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Serupiko