What do you think about a gothic/fantasy game?

Do you like gothic/fantasy themes?

• Yes

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • yes, but only gothic

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • yes, but only fantasy

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I don't like them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Machinist

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2020
I noted that there's a lack of gothic games on here, so I'm making one with some gothic/fantasy elements on it.
I also think there's a lot of fantasy games, but a lot more than gothic ones (I played the main ones, i.e. long live the princess and others)
Why is that? Do people not like this genre?
Anyway, I will have a DEMO ready soon, and I would like to know what people think about it.
Also answer the pool if you feel like it.
Cheers.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Anything that isn't your basic highschool story is a plus from me.

As why theres a lack of games with a gothic style, is because most DAZ assets are for modern time. The assets for gothic/medieval type game are very limited. Thats why most gothic/medieval games or use hand drawn art, or are RPGM games instead of VN's.

Abîme

Sep 27, 2018
Indeed a game with a gothic art style will be appreciated.
You plan to make it in DAZ ?
It's not impossible to do ;)

Ying Ko

Jun 16, 2018
I'm going to hazard a guess and say people are going to be largely indifferent to the gothic style of your game and it won't be what makes or breaks it. Warhammer 40k, Dark Souls and Bloodborne were not hampered by it.

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
I know gothic fantasies exist (Bram Stoker, etc.), due to the fact that fantasy is such a broad spectrum genre that it pretty much encompasses all genres at some point or another. But gothic and fantasy as separate things aren't similar at all, one is melodramatic period horror/moody the other is, well, basically anything that is supernatural or fantastic. These two things mix exceptionally well and it's a crying shame that more gothic fantasy hasn't materialized over the years.

That said, I've been reading fantasy for 35 years now, with a few gothic fantasies mixed in. Michael Moorcocks Elric of Melnibone series is simply amazing gothic fantasy, even if a bit dated in its themes. I have yet to come across a VN that quite captured a good gothic fantasy premise without becoming overly exaggerated (meaning silly).

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
It's not necessary that people don't like it, as mention above it's the lack of assets. Very few people know how to make their own models let alone make a genre specific asset. They use what they can get their hands on. The other issue is being able to convey that idea across. Using myself as an example, I don't know what makes a gothic fiction. If anyone can in laymen's term explain this genre. From my quick search, it's like a suspense horror/romantic dark type setting? But that doesn't sound very much gothic to me, so what is it that makes it fall into the category of gothic fiction?

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Gothic is an European architecture style from 1100 to 1400 at the end of the medieval Era. Mostly about churches with large arcs, large glass stained windows, and a lot of ornate decorates. The style overall is pretty dark and simple. That's why it's often used in fiction stories as a more dark medieval genre, often with fantasy elements like vampires in large Gothic style castles, citie controlled by a dark overlord etc.

Reactions: Egglock

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
Gothic is an European architecture style from 1100 to 1400 at the end of the medieval Era. Mostly about churches with large arcs, large glass stained windows, and a lot of ornate decorates. The style overall is pretty dark and simple. That's why it's often used in fiction stories as a more dark medieval genre, often with fantasy elements like vampires in large Gothic style castles, citie controlled by a dark overlord etc.
There is also gothic fiction. Things happen.

Machinist

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2020
Nice to see that there may be interest in this.

Indeed a game with a gothic art style will be appreciated.
You plan to make it in DAZ ?
It's not impossible to do ;)
Yes. For this demo I have the code and script ready and about 60% of the art done.

I know gothic fantasies exist (Bram Stoker, etc.), due to the fact that fantasy is such a broad spectrum genre that it pretty much encompasses all genres at some point or another. But gothic and fantasy as separate things aren't similar at all, one is melodramatic period horror/moody the other is, well, basically anything that is supernatural or fantastic. These two things mix exceptionally well and it's a crying shame that more gothic fantasy hasn't materialized over the years.

That said, I've been reading fantasy for 35 years now, with a few gothic fantasies mixed in. Michael Moorcocks Elric of Melnibone series is simply amazing gothic fantasy, even if a bit dated in its themes. I have yet to come across a VN that quite captured a good gothic fantasy premise without becoming overly exaggerated (meaning silly).
Thanks for the recomendation, I will check it. If you could recomend other works I would appreciate.
I've gone through the classics (1819's The Vampyre, Carmilla, Stoker and Shelley) and I am quite fond of Lovecraft's works as well, but I am still an amateur reader in this genre.

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
Nice to see that there may be interest in this.

Yes. For this demo I have the code and script ready and about 60% of the art done.

Thanks for the recomendation, I will check it. If you could recomend other works I would appreciate.
I've gone through the classics (1819's The Vampyre, Carmilla, Stoker and Shelley) and I am quite fond of Lovecraft's works as well, but I am still an amateur reader in this genre.
It's very, very hard to find examples that could actually be considered "gothic fantasy". The Elric series is really the only one (that I have read) that truly encapsulates the mood and tone of darkness overriding that one would expect from the genre that Lovecraft defined so well. The Elric of Melnibone series is but one small bit of the Eternal Champion series by Moorcock. That series ranges from Elric darkness to bright, normal fantasy fare and everything in between. One version of the Eternal Champion, Corum, also comes close, but not quite as dark.

Aside from Moorcock, off the top of my head, another one that tries is the Vampire Earth series by E. E. Knight. Dystopian future where soul-sucking, vampire-like alien creatures have taken over the earth and the fight to take it back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emelex

Machinist

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2020
It's very, very hard to find examples that could actually be considered "gothic fantasy". The Elric series is really the only one (that I have read) that truly encapsulates the mood and tone of darkness overriding that one would expect from the genre that Lovecraft defined so well. The Elric of Melnibone series is but one small bit of the Eternal Champion series by Moorcock. That series ranges from Elric darkness to bright, normal fantasy fare and everything in between. One version of the Eternal Champion, Corum, also comes close, but not quite as dark.

Aside from Moorcock, off the top of my head, another one that tries is the Vampire Earth series by E. E. Knight. Dystopian future where soul-sucking, vampire-like alien creatures have taken over the earth and the fight to take it back.
Thanks for the recomendation!

If anyone is interested I just launched the first version of my game idea:

https://f95zone.to/threads/the-new-queen-prologue-machinist.61376/

Reactions: tanstaafl

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
I hope this demo got as less monologues as blue ballers. the casts aren't too pale, pessimistic introverts in a funeral. and shows a bit of more pussies than sunlight.

just kidding folks XD keep it up. don't wanna spoil it for everyone

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
I'm digging the game so far. There are some spelling errors and some grammatical ones as well, but not bad at all. The one thing that did yank me right out of any immersion I was having with the story was the thought of an older dowager queen in the 1400s in that part of the world not being tortured and killed immediately upon opening her mouth to talk back to the ruler of the land. Mother or not.

The real Vlad Tepes (The Impaler, Vlad Dracula, the inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula, blah blah blah) was alive around the time this game takes place, perhaps 40 years prior for an indication of how things were run back then.

Reactions: Machinist

Machinist

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2020
The real Vlad Tepes (The Impaler, Vlad Dracula, the inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula, blah blah blah) was alive around the time this game takes place, perhaps 40 years prior for an indication of how things were run back then.
The time period and region I chose were very intentional ;)