VN What do you think about including music during sex scenes?

Music during sex scenes?

• Total voters

UndergradSteve

Game Developer
Aug 25, 2020
What are your opinions on including romantic / erotic music during or leading to sex scenes?
I've seen some games include it and some not so I figured I may as well ask the community

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
right music is right, wrong music is wrong. its point is not to give the audience their favourite hit (which in most cases distracts from what you're trying to tell) but to subconsciously manipulate their emotional state, thus making the scene more impactful. a romantic last fuck before your lover leaves you forever sounds very different to brutal powerfucking.

one of the basic tricks about film acting is to NOT act at all in close-ups, instead the emotion is added later by the soundscape. so the same exact shot of anthony hopkins with completely neutral expression will look hopeful, ominous, disappointed or sad 100% depending on the sounds you're fed with it. this is more than true with our fairly restricted emotionless daz crash test dummies and less than masterful drawing.

of course you can always go wrong with it, but it's probably the most important way of conveying emotion.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Only if it's by Barry White.

Suppose with the right music (and sounds), you could change the mood of a scene. Adding grunts, moans and "sounds of sex" in general is a bit of a turn off though.

Reactions: eosar

SPACE!man

Formerly 'dudelookingforstuff'
Jan 3, 2020
Depends on the game really. I mean, a dating game, sure, I was gonna do the same for one I was working on (then gave up on cos I can't find the will to write plot for shit. ._.). It adds to the scene, a little bow chicka wow wow (or as you kids call it "Brown chicken, brown cow").

But during a 50 person gangbang where a woman's asshole is so fucked it can fit a minotaur's entire arm? No thanks.

HELIO CESAR

May 30, 2018
something like the friends above me have said, i like music in geral, it puts you in the mood "i'm playing a game" not "i'm reading a +18 comic" but for the sex scenes it's more complex, if it's a romance sex scene a low background romantic music can give it a boost, but if it's a wild public sex scene it can be a little off mood, so i suggest to break the silence is to make good use of sound fx, public sex in a back alley? a backgroun traffic loop, voices, steps, etc. Intimate moment in a bedroom? a bed creaking sometimes, soft moans, bed sheets sounds, etc
What i'm trying to get at is, the mood wins above anything else when it comes to sex scenes.

flurki

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2021
In my opinion music always adds something to the scene, however the wrong track might ruin it completely. The music should
a) fit the scene (e.g. romantic or violent)
and b) be discreet and in the background, not the main focus.
It's not always easy to find a good one, but if you do, it helps out so much :)