What do you think about this art

Character art opinions

• They are nice looking

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheDefany

Game Developer
Aug 29, 2018
Hello, currently working on a Ren'Py VN game with no "click this to miss content" choices and where some choices will shape MC's personality to cause different events.
The Prologue dialogs are scripted and ready but i have some issues with the art and i just wanted to see your opinions on it.

1.png 4.png 5.png
I made the character modelling,rigging and the hair on Blender

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Art is very subjective, so what works for some is detested by others.

However, with all that said, I do think that you should spend a month or two with improving the graphics on the models. They look like toy clay people.

TheDefany

Game Developer
Aug 29, 2018
Art is very subjective, so what works for some is detested by others.

However, with all that said, I do think that you should spend a month or two with improving the graphics on the models. They look like toy clay people.
Thank you for your answer, i will work on the textures and shading

Humlebien

Donor
Nov 15, 2016
When your teacher looks like Brianna Wu, you might want to reconsider your art choice. Maybe Honey Select is an option?

Humlebien

Donor
Nov 15, 2016
Never considered any other softwares than Blender but i will definetly check them out, thank you.
Depending on your skills with computers, time and motivation, there're plenty of programs out there. There's even some tools on this site. No need for paint and minecraft figures, if you don't have to :) You might want to head to the discord and the devhelp parts. But if I understand it right, Honey Select is fairly easy sliderbased char gen, with tons of poses or whatever.

Reactions: TheDefany

Akatriel

May 20, 2017
Body

Seems like you're going for photo-realism over an exaggerated and toony style, so get decent anatomically correct base models with clean topology to build and animate from.

MakeHuman is an open source tool for making 3D characters. The topology is clean, has good body morphs. And you can export the models into Blender very easily. Use this great and free tool right now.

Hair

Seems like you're on the right track here, but your render/quality settings are not correct. You need thousands of guides instead of hundreds. Blender hair and fur is actually a strong point, you should have fantastic hair. Check out this tutorial:

Clothes

Clothing is not an extrusion of the body underneath. It's not an orange peel. It's 3 dimensional, has weft, waft, stretch and folds. If you want a decent clothing solution, try Marvelous Designer. It's expensive and the industry standard and I personally recommend it. You make fabric patterns, stitch them together, drape them over a static or animated model and then simulate the cloth.

spacejump1.png

Render

White dots and an overall graininess means your lighting rig is not sending out enough samples for your surfaces. You need to double+ your lighting rays, up your AA etc. You really should be rendering out passes and then composing them in Nuke/Photoshop for color control and general tweak-ability. You'll be able to then tweak the lighting, make the shadows darker/lighter, correct over-saturation/lighting etc with a few clicks in photoshop instead of having to go back and re-render.

render_composite.png

TheDefany

Game Developer
Aug 29, 2018
@Akatriel I will definetly check out makehuman. Can't really say the same for marvelous designer because of it's monthly fee, i will look for an alternative clothing sim. Thank you for your recommendations.

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
You definitely need a lot of work, but I'd keep at it. Trying to take shortcuts will just lead you to taking longer to get any good. Here are a few things to keep in mind in terms of general guidelines regarding reasonably realistic human faces.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

There are probably plenty of others I'm forgetting, but these are the more important ones off the top of my head. I can offer some for body proportions as well if you'd like, but this post is already getting pretty darn long, lol. The last thing I'd say is that you should look into improving materials, which will generally involve hand painting a number of maps for things like SSS and specularity to get away from a uniform plastic/wax sort of look.

Edit: Here's a page with some good tips on improving skin materials I came across a while ago that I just remembered after posting, heh -

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Here's a pretty good book in pdf format for anyone wanting to get a better understanding of anatomy from the perspective of a sculptor, making it very handy for 3D modelers.

Reactions: Ying Ko