What do you think is the most misused tag in this forum?

mazqaz

Feb 19, 2018
I'm sure many of us have encountered games here that have tags or lack of that have either killed/surprised our boner. Something akin to the NTR tag being posted in any game here that features female characters that have a relationship with other men whilst not even considering the MC as a love interest. Or games tagged as rape but suddenly in-game the girl turns into a nympho when all you've done is grope her breasts.

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
probly corruption. let's take for exemple and its corruption tag. on a scale of 1 to 10. the girls in the game go from 1 (pure virgin girl) to 10 (sex-lover) to a 20(full fledged cumbucket).

I would"ve called it bimbo tag instead.

Also ntr tag: gotta differentiate between 3 definition

Reactions: mazqaz

mazqaz

Feb 19, 2018
I feel like Netori is already handled by the cheating tag but people really need understand that any interaction by love interests with men beside the MC does not always constitute as NTR, like your highschool crush dating another guy does not mean NTR cause she was never your girl to begin with.

Reactions: Domiek

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
Corruption.

It needs splitting. Most corruption games usually involve an idiot being used for sex. It isn't her being corrupted because she remains an idiot but she's an idiot with a better sex life than most.

She isn't corrupt, she hasn't changed and she barely registers what's going on.

For how intelligent some of those women are like Elena, Lida, Samantha etc... you may as well take an inflatable doll and pass it around.

Reactions: mazqaz

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
I came here expecting to see people saying [Completed]. Sick burn right?

Anyway, I agree that "Corruption" games almost never feature corruption. They usually feature bribery, blackmail, and rape. I think people miss that the essence of corruption is a change in the character's personality not just the character's situation. A woman who loses her job and her house that turns to prostitution isn't corrupted, she's just dealing with a shitty situation. An affluent housewife that goes from a shy wallflower to being the center of a gang bang (because she wants to) is corruption.

The NTR tag is just a fucking mine field. You never know what the dev means when they say that. The distinction posted by @Gab is useful, but I suspect people won't bother learning or using these terms. There is also the scenario where you play the girl.

Bright Sun Studios

Game Developer
Nov 17, 2017
It's not really misused, but I still think the Lesbian (and Gay) tag is worth mentioning. Because as a developer of lesbian games, I have had trouble with it since there is no split (much like with the Corruption tag) between full lesbian games with a female protagonist and games with a male protagonist that feature a single scene in which MC has a threesome with 2 girls or something.

I also have a minor issue with the Shemale/Futa tag (Yes, there are one tag). Shemales, futas and hermaphrodites all fall under this tag. All three are actually different things however and they sometimes don't appeal to the same target audience. You can be a fan of futas and at the same time not be a fan of shemales. I get why they are all under the same tag as the very general concept is the same, but the details are different. And in this case I think the details are important.

Reactions: blackmagic616

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Not really a 'tag', more of a category, but Games.

A number of the projects in the Game section are interactive visual novels (i.e. choose your path), and some of those have limited number of choices. So calling them games is a bit of a stretch.

Renpy, for example, is a visual novel engine, not a game engine. Yes, RenPy can have game mechanics included in it, but you see my point.

So an 'Interactive Visual Novel' tag along with a 'Game' tag, well since we already have a bajillion tags anyways, having IVN or Game or Both at the start of the tag string might be a bit more helpful.

For example, a 'Sandbox' game like SimBro, well that's not really a visual novel, because it's mechanics driven (raising skill levels, fighting, etc), not story driven. The story just provides a suitable background.

Dreams of Desire, on the other hand, is DEFINITELY an Interactive Visual Novel, as is Dating My Doughnut Daughter

I suspect that no one actually cares about this, but yeah IMHO I think that the Game master category needs a bit of differentiation. Not a separate forum section, mind you, just a 'category/type' tag.

Reactions: Agent HK47

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
I think the term 'game' was meant to be fairly generic. I mean they could rename the section to "Releases" just to cover all the bases. There is already a [VN] tag, it seems to generally be used correctly. Whether some releases should use VN and don't is another question. I guess they could add a [Game] tag, but it might have felt redundant. I'm not sure how many game mechanics need to be present before something is no longer a VN. A lot of 'games' are just VN with grinding stats to pad run time. The [RPGM] tag should mean it's a game, but sometimes it just means the dev likes making you walk everywhere you go.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I think the term 'game' was meant to be fairly generic. I mean they could rename the section to "Releases" just to cover all the bases. There is already a [VN] tag, it seems to generally be used correctly. Whether some releases should use VN and don't is another question. I guess they could add a [Game] tag, but it might have felt redundant. I'm not sure how many game mechanics need to be present before something is no longer a VN. A lot of 'games' are just VN with grinding stats to pad run time. The [RPGM] tag should mean it's a game, but sometimes it just means the dev likes making you walk everywhere you go.
I was just looking at a tag list for Visual Novel on a couple of titles that are visual novels, and didn't see any such tag there. I didn't see a master post anywhere with a full list of tags, hence my post.

Sounds like the tag isn't being used enough. Also, you could change the 'title' of the Game forum section to 'Games and Visual Novels', but I suspect Staff doesn't see this as an issue.

WhitePhantom

Donor
Game Developer
Feb 21, 2018
I really dislike the "Graphic Violence" tag.
There's no way to differentiate between that being somebody getting shot, like a soldier, cop etc and somebody being brutally raped, tortured for sexual pleasure or snuffed without playing the game and finding out, and this can put people even trying a game by seeing the tag.
One of the first posts I had in my game (which is a cop-game with non-sexual graphic violence) was people asking me what that tag meant and to tell them what type of violence was involved before they played it, would be nice if there was a "Graphic Content" or "Non-Sexual Graphic Violence" and then a seperate "Graphic Sexual Content or "Graphic Sexual Violence" to avoid this, especially as most media aimed at adults contains graphic violence but very, very rarely contains graphic sexual violence.