What do you use to create new DUF files for materials?

IXL

Jul 28, 2017
Hi,

I have looked through the Tutorial section, but cannot quite see what I am after. I tried a number of searches too.

I wondered if anyone can help point me in the right process is to create new DUF files for materials, to use in DAZ3D? I know you can view these from notepad, but what creates them in the first instance?

Help would be appreciated.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I wondered if anyone can help point me in the right process is to create new DUF files for materials, to use in DAZ3D?
What do you mean by that ?

I mean, it's a fully opened question that can have a tons of different answers depending of what you effectively want to know. It goes from "File menu -> Save as -> material preset", to "use a drawing/bitmap software, like Photoshop/Gimp, to paint the texture accordingly to the figure UV map, then use the surface tab in Daz Studio to import each one of those texture, and finally save the result as material preset".

IXL

Jul 28, 2017
Hi, Sorry.

I guess I was trying to reverse engineer a file and work out how it was produced in the first place from an existing clothing material .duf file.

Basically, I want to create a new material (texture) for a wardrobe item myself, Ive tampered around a bit but really wanted to do it properly. Sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

I have GIMP, Adobe PhotoShop CS3, (Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8). But I dont have Blender or anything like that.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Basically, I want to create a new material (texture) for a wardrobe item myself, Ive tampered around a bit but really wanted to do it properly. Sorry if this is covered elsewhere.
Well, there's a lot . But the question is more can you effectively do it ?

I mean, you said yourself that you tried to reverse engineer a duf file to understand how it is done. What mean that you never really goes further than the really basis of Daz Studio. Would you have tried to "save as", that you would have seen the "preset material" option, and tried it, at least out of curiosity since it's name seem to match what you want to do. And would you have took a curious look at the "surface" panel, that you would have know that you can manually select the texture to apply. Those two steps would have give you the answer to your question.

Plus, the fact that you need to ask mean that you probably don't have the starts of a clue regarding what bump maps, normal maps, and so on can be. While you can just replace the diffuse texture by itself, and use original the maps and values, this would just give a generic looks to your newly textured figure, when not a weird one if the diffuse have shadows that will not match the relief provided by the normal map.

Creating a new texture is something that need way more than some drawing knowledge. At least if you want something that will not looks too bad once rendered. So, you should probably starts by learning how texturing works, and what are the texture options available for the IRay engine. Or, better, use shaders packs if you want to retexture something.

IXL

Jul 28, 2017
I mean, you said yourself that you tried to reverse engineer a duf file to understand how it is done. What mean that you never really goes further than the really basis of Daz Studio. Would you have tried to "save as", that you would have seen the "preset material" option, and tried it, at least out of curiosity since it's name seem to match what you want to do. And would you have took a curious look at the "surface" panel, that you would have know that you can manually select the texture to apply. Those two steps would have give you the answer to your question.
Thats a bit harsh, the answer is not immediately obvious to someone new to it... but anyway cheers.

Plus, the fact that you need to ask mean that you probably don't have the starts of a clue regarding what bump maps, normal maps, and so on can be. While you can just replace the diffuse texture by itself, and use original the maps and values, this would just give a generic looks to your newly textured figure, when not a weird one if the diffuse have shadows that will not match the relief provided by the normal map.
Bump maps are something I am trying to get to understand better, so this is the basics of what would like to know more about, but I have since managed to find some useful info elsewhere over the weekend, so thanks for this.

Creating a new texture is something that need way more than some drawing knowledge. At least if you want something that will not looks too bad once rendered. So, you should probably starts by learning how texturing works, and what are the texture options available for the IRay engine. Or, better, use shaders packs if you want to retexture something.
Finally I think you are getting to the point. Basically This is the only bit I needed to know. As the subject says though, you never told me what you might use but its ok, I have since found what I needed elsewhere anyway. :)

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. (y)

Last edited: