What does it take to create your average RenPy game... Like from a scratch..

asgardtipar2

May 24, 2018
I dont know anything about how to make these games(or any for that matter), but would like to learn and give it a shot..
Like what software do I need, what skills/expertise do I need to have to create a game..
And so on.. Any advice/tutorial would be welcome..
Thanks in advance..

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
If you download Renpy, there is a example "game" attached. This game is a tutorial. There are also several hints in the scripts file when you create a new project. It's really easy tbh.
If you want to create a simple VN you won't have much trouble with it, all you need is time and endurance.

For the images you could use Daz3D or Honey Select and there are other programs too, just use the search function and you'll find several threads about the matter.

asgardtipar2

May 24, 2018
If you download Renpy, there is a example "game" attached. This game is a tutorial. There are also several hints in the scripts file when you create a new project. It's really easy tbh.
If you want to create a simple VN you won't have much trouble with it, all you need is time and endurance.

For the images you could use Daz3D or Honey Select and there are other programs too, just use the search function and you'll find several threads about the matter.
Thanks a lot.
I really apriciate it.
You wouldnt mind me asking more questions if I had them? @recreation .. Asking cause dont want to be pain in the ass.

biZZler

Creating Astros - a cosmic love story!
Game Developer
Jul 15, 2017
If you just wanna create a VN style game using Ren'py, all you need are a good PC which has got enough juice to create your renders (more realistic renders require more powerful PC's to create them). To create renders, you can either buy stock 3d models from cg market places like Daz3d or Renderosity, or make them your own provided you have the necessary skills. Once you have the assets, you can use programs like Daz Studio or Poser to render out the required scenes. And once you have the renders, you just need to add them and code the functionalities in Ren'py. There are lots of tutorials out there if you need detailed instructions.

Reactions: asgardtipar2

asgardtipar2

May 24, 2018
If you just wanna create a VN style game using Ren'py, all you need are a good PC which has got enough juice to create your renders (more realistic renders require more powerful PC's to create them). To create renders, you can either buy stock 3d models from cg market places like Daz3d or Renderosity, or make them your own provided you have the necessary skills. Once you have the assets, you can use programs like Daz Studio or Poser to render out the required scenes. And once you have the renders, you just need to add them and code the functionalities in Ren'py. There are lots of tutorials out there if you need detailed instructions.
Also thanks.
Like how good PC would I need to have, to have average quality renders.. Like idk... Dreaming with Dana pops to mind and with no animations.. Not even gonna imagine being good enough for that...
AHAHHAA, and where do I find tut. for what you just said.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
If you use Daz with Iray you can focus on a nvidia card and ram. 16 gig of ram should be enough, the card should be at least a gtx 1070 or better. CPU is not really a factor for render times, when you have a nvidia card.

Reactions: biZZler

biZZler

Creating Astros - a cosmic love story!
Game Developer
Jul 15, 2017
If you use Daz with Iray you can focus on a nvidia card and ram. 16 gig of ram should be enough, the card should be at least a gtx 1070 or better. CPU is not really a factor for render times, when you have a nvidia card.
To add - I use this laptop ( ) for my game which is under development!;)

asgardtipar2

May 24, 2018
JESUS F*** christ.. OH MY GOOOOD.. Damn, now I understand the need for patreon.. god damn
Like Imma tell you my specs right away and now I understand its actually embaressing..
@recreation 1551654780122.png
1551654760322.png

OrbitingTheMoon

Oct 22, 2017
Here's the thing: You can still use Daz3D on your machine. You do not need an Nvidia graphics card to render the scenes, a CPU can do it as well. It'll be slower, but the end result will look the same if you let the PC render for a few hours. I've used Daz on a machine that was almost identical to yours and while it wasn't the most pleasant experience, it was still possible.

asgardtipar2

May 24, 2018
Here's the thing: You can still use Daz3D on your machine. You do not need an Nvidia graphics card to render the scenes, a CPU can do it as well. It'll be slower, but the end result will look the same if you let the PC render for a few hours. I've used Daz on a machine that was almost identical to yours and while it wasn't the most pleasant experience, it was still possible.
oh that is comforting..
Thanks

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018

Hentai_Kishi

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2018
You don't need much. In fact you can begin making your game without knowing anything.

I heard that Brandon Sanderson gives good talks about how to write interesting narratives, this type of video would be your first study material.
Secondly, Ren'py is not hard, you just have to remember certain commands, if you want to tweak the engine and do something more interactive as some games here do you will probably have a little more work, but nothing you can't manage to learn on your own.
You use Ren'py to make visual novels (mostly) so I recommend you write separate documents for each of the character routes or each story turn you have in your game, be aware that the more you want to complicate the story the more work you will have.

For music you have a lot of free tools to create your own songs, you need to define what type of atmosphere your game will have to find the most appropriate tool, alternatively you can pay someone to do a bunch of songs that fits the mood of your game or you can get 'free for commercial use' songs.

Art is a little bit harder since you would need to put some hours into practicing it to do everything in your game. There is a lot of Youtube channels that teach art, Proko, Kienan Lafferty, MortMort, Draw with Jazza just to name a few. This goes for traditional/digital/3D art. As with music you can also pay someone to do your art or use 'free for commercial use' art.