What game engine gives you the most issues?

Catwashere

Futa lover!
Donor
Jan 28, 2018
For me it would be Unity, i have played a few games with this engine and almost always have bugs and save issues.
The other engine that can be a pain for me is RPGM but for the most part if you are careful you can avoid issues with that one.
Ren'Py for me is the best one and seems to have the least amount of issues,
It can be any type of issues rather it is the creators fault or the device you use to play games.

PS. Nothing worse then playing a somewhat long game and then upload the update and saves no longer work!

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
For me it would be Unity, i have played a few games with this engine and almost always have bugs and save issues.
The other engine that can be a pain for me is RPGM but for the most part if you are careful you can avoid issues with that one.
Ren'Py for me is the best one and seems to have the less issues,

Nothing worse then playing a somewhat long game and then upload the update and saves no longer work!
I'm confused. Are you referring to problems from developer mistakes or compatibility with user's hardware/software?

Catwashere

Futa lover!
Donor
Jan 28, 2018
I'm confused. Are you referring to problems from developer mistakes or compatibility with user's hardware/software?
Everything!
I asked what gives you the most issues meaning any type of issue rather it is because of your device you use to play or something the creator did wrong.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
Everything!
I asked what gives you the most issues meaning any type of issue rather it is because of your device you use to play or something the creator did wrong.
The question is extremely subjective. Being proficient in computer troubleshooting, I rarely have a problem with software compatibility. The only errors I get are from bugs in the code which, opposite of your experience, is usually Ren'py. I suspect this is the case because most new developers/programmers choose Ren'py due to it's ease of use.

Reactions: Catwashere

Catwashere

Futa lover!
Donor
Jan 28, 2018
The question is extremely subjective. Being proficient in computer troubleshooting, I rarely have a problem with software compatibility. The only errors I get are from bugs in the code which, opposite of your experience, is usually Ren'py. I suspect this is the case because most new developers/programmers choose Ren'py due to it's ease of use.
Some Ren'Py games have been pretty bad, but right now i have two Unity games with issues and one is a save issue that one is a pretty long game!

mesoru

Sep 22, 2017
What gives me most issues is my potato notebook. :test3:
I pretty much gave up on playing Roundscape after the last engine update (until i buy a new pc ofc).
That said. RPGM MV is the most problematic engine due to performance issues.

Catwashere

Futa lover!
Donor
Jan 28, 2018
I pretty much gave up on playing Roundscape after the last engine update (until i buy a new pc ofc).
My Sister Mia act 3 is giving many people issues with Ram, not even 8 ram is enough for the game.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
As a side note, keeping your video driver updated, reinstalling the MV RTP, and adding some cheap RAM would help alleviate most issues.

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
Is it the engine causing the issue or just particular dev fucking up on a particular game?
I guess Unity gives the devs the most chances to fuck up.

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
Ren'py, unity, older RPGMs, the problems come mostly from the developers.
But with RPGM MV, I have so much trouble that it's impossible for the developer to be the only one involved. OK, I have an old Apple laptop, using a virtualized Win 7, but I have troubles ONLY with RMPG MV.......

Mar 7, 2018
For me that is Unity games too, especially I noticed that many Unity games do not have a save function or its just 1 slot save button, very irritating in most games. :noexpression: And also for some reason in Unity games the Mouse movement is very imprecise / slow for me, no other engine give that problem, and lastly as you mentoined they almost never have save compatability between versions ..... :noexpression: also something I also noticed is that many times those games lack any options at all, no sound muting, no in-game settings expect for that start-up screen-size thing etc. which can be frustrating.

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
While not my personal experience, I've see a heck of a lot of people having trouble getting working. It doesn't help that the most stable version (v2.4.16.0) is an older version, there's a much higher version number available (v3.1.0.0), and that the latest version released is currently somewhere in the middle (v2.6.1), while the highest version available for download is also not as high as an earlier version (v3.0.60). And need I mention that the site got hacked a while back and some versions may be infected? And that (from what I understand) it relies on some particular versions of Microsoft SQL Server and the Microsoft .Net Framework, which are not found in Win 10?

I tend to like RAGS games in general, but it has such a clunky and out-of-date interface on top of an unstable engine that it's not something I could, in good conscience, recommend using.

Aug 5, 2016
In terms of ease of use I'd go RPGM VX Ace>RenPy>Unity>RPGM MV

Unity is pretty hit or miss and really dependent on the type of game. If it's a 3D game with controls and movement (ex. House Party) then I have a lot of trouble across the board. If it's a point and click style game (ex Man of the House, Something Unlimited, etc.) then it tends to be completely fine, with the exception of a few that are poorly made and become RAM hogs (Harem Villa is my goto example here, I literally cannot open the starting screen in that game).

RPG VX Ace games are great to play because they're so easy and simple, but the lack of functionality really limits stuff and it seems devs favor MV more nowadays anyway. The only VX Ace games I tend to see nowadays are translated Japanese games.

MV is unilaterally worse on my computer than any of the other ones, but some devs have managed to make it work really well and make it run properly (Ouroborous is my pick for best made MV game - it's quite repetitive by nature of the story, but damn it runs pretty smoothly). If My Sister Mia was on any other engine I would be so much happier with it.

RenPy is king. You can do so much with it and it's easily the most amenable to my computer. I personally think a lot of Unity games could be made in RenPy and that would make life a lot easier for us with crap computers, but hey if it's made well and doesn't crash before I can save the game, I'm happy with it.

Catwashere

Futa lover!
Donor
Jan 28, 2018
In terms of ease of use I'd go RPGM VX Ace>RenPy>Unity>RPGM MV

Unity is pretty hit or miss and really dependent on the type of game. If it's a 3D game with controls and movement (ex. House Party) then I have a lot of trouble across the board. If it's a point and click style game (ex Man of the House, Something Unlimited, etc.) then it tends to be completely fine, with the exception of a few that are poorly made and become RAM hogs (Harem Villa is my goto example here, I literally cannot open the starting screen in that game).

RPG VX Ace games are great to play because they're so easy and simple, but the lack of functionality really limits stuff and it seems devs favor MV more nowadays anyway. The only VX Ace games I tend to see nowadays are translated Japanese games.

MV is unilaterally worse on my computer than any of the other ones, but some devs have managed to make it work really well and make it run properly (Ouroborous is my pick for best made MV game - it's quite repetitive by nature of the story, but damn it runs pretty smoothly). If My Sister Mia was on any other engine I would be so much happier with it.

RenPy is king. You can do so much with it and it's easily the most amenable to my computer. I personally think a lot of Unity games could be made in RenPy and that would make life a lot easier for us with crap computers, but hey if it's made well and doesn't crash before I can save the game, I'm happy with it.
It is bad when even 8 gb of ram is not enough, games like My Sister Mia act 4 uses more than that.
That is and unreal games i cannot run everything else so far from this site i can.

baka

Engaged Member
Modder
Oct 13, 2016
For me I think unity is all about the dev, if the dev is a good programmer unity works well, otherwise its cpu hungry, freezes a lot etc. I think its not easy to make a good unity game that is also optimized well to work without eating up your cpu/gpu.

for rpg## games, it all depends on the scripts added to the game, and yet again, if the dev is a good programmer. when I worked with rpgmv, I edited the core scripts and changed it to work as I wanted, but many devs they add scripts above the core scripts, and that is of course eating more cpu and can create bugs.

yesterday I tried Ren'Py, and it didnt start in one of my "work" laptop w7 computer.
while my own maple.x engine started without any issues and runs smoothly. my engine runs in 60-70fps (depending on monitor frequency) using direct2d.

that for me is a surprise, Ren'Py is the most stable engine so far, works well, is cpu friendly, but even so, not all computers can run it. I really want a engine that works smoothly and is very cpu/gpu friendly. I have plans to do one myself, but to make one takes a year or so and im busy with irl and my own game right now. but I really want to make a engine that is easy to use and optimized well.

I noticed that the gpu has bitmap size limits. my own gpu has 16384 bitmap size (meaning, a bitmap loaded into gpu can't be above 16384 width/height) but I also know that low-end gpu can have as low as 1024/2048 and thats small) a HD game can't start because of that. sure a good programmer can "check" this limit and change from gpu to cpu to allow low-end computer to run it. but do the game engine do this check at all? or do some engine use cpu only? like rpgxp/rpgvx, that seems to use GDI.

rpgmv is also a eating cpu bastard. even if improved from rpgvx is still not well optimized. scripting is easier but the cost is higher. you need to have a good computer to run it. my "work" laptop cant do it, its freezing a lot.

so for the OP question I say that rpgmv and unity are engine that gives me most headache.
while Ren'Py are so far the best one. rpgxp/vx works well, but also eating too much cpu for my taste and not monitor sync is making the moving/animation stuttering. and that for me is a big minus.

Daxter250

Forum Fanatic
Sep 17, 2017
unreal for me as it requires a lot of horsepower. that's it. if you know how to setup your pc and the software needed to play all tge games, you won't run into any problems other than not having enough horsepower to actually run the game.

AmazonessKing

Amazoness Entrepreneur
Aug 13, 2019
I'd say both Unreal and Unity. I see why, but if your plan is making a simple VN, please, PLEASE use Ren'py. Using Unreal for either of these is like trying to fish in a pond with dynamite.

Reactions: hyper321